Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tattoos, what's the big deal???

Tattoos, what's the big deal???

So with the emergence of Colin Kaepernick as the starter in SF, the critiques and nitpicking have begun for his on field performance, along with the amount of ink the man has.

I read a blurb in kings mmqb article that led me to this piece of journalistic garbage:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...contract-draft

So the guy has a lot of ink. That doesn't mean he's a criminal, as the writer of that article intimated. It's not 1935. I thought tattoos were viewed differently these days. Perhaps I'm wrong, and I'll admit I'm biased. I've got tons of ink and I'm a white collar biz guy.

I think Kaepernick has some bad work on his arms, but clearly he started quite early in life getting them. Add to that the kid is from Cali, where visible tattoos are quite common. It doesn't make him look a criminal, just a product of the times, and the area he grew up in. So what he's a qb? Visible tattoos are synonymous with pro athletes, why should a qb be expected to uphold a higher standard.

What does everyone else think? Weve got a pretty good cross section on FP...
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Blog Entries
    I think the writer is a moron. Tattoos do not make a criminal. The writer comes of like he is about 80 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by tubbs1518 View Post
    I think the writer is a moron. Tattoos do not make a criminal. The writer comes of like he is about 80 years old.
    I dunno what the author was getting at. Kaepernick's work sucks. Looks like he let someone he "knew" drill on him.

His young age, added to his lack of income probably led to him making poor decisions on the "piece" and the guy he let do it. However, the quality of work wasn't the author's issue. It was the fact he had it. I'll agree his work sucks, like bad. However, him having it is a personal decision. One the public may or, may not be vehemently opposed to..
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

I don't like tattoos - I am of an age where I still think that only guys who served in the navy should have them.

I know, I know, this makes me a relic - but I still flinch when I see women with tattoos.

(By the way - my best friend and sometime writing partner is inked from wrists to shoulders. I don't judge - I just don't like them.)

However - how could ANY sports fan be in the least bit disturbed by what's all over Kaepernick's arms? Have they never seen an NBA game? It's an era where tattoos are seemingly everywhere.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

I don't have a problem with it. His tattoos seem to be a spiritual thing for him. It's depictions of angels and scriptures. I'm usre he believes they are enchantments that bring him strength or whatever. It doesn't matter to me, he is hurting no one. Some people are just fickle twits.
    You ask me why I lift, I wonder why you don't.

Tattoos do not make someone a criminal and I do think he's got some pretty sweet ink, but-there's always a but with me, right?-I see the author's POV. Imagine if Obama had 2 full sleeves, ear gauges, and a mullet? Or Roger Goodell? The dude will become the face of that franchise and historically, the QB position was a much more mature, responsible adult like figure. Not saying that having tattoos makes you irresponsible, but it does make it harder for you to convince others that you are. I'm sure everybody in here has some sort of prejudice towards people with copious amounts of ink. It's a look that we don't associate with success and intelligence. It's a look we associate with thugs and hipsters...you know the ones who complain they're broke yet have a full sleeve filled with 90s cartoon characters in full color.

Me PERSONALLY I couldn't care less that Kaepernick has tattoos, but the author does make some good points that are shrouded in concealed racism and a gran Torino-esque "get off my lawn" attitude. The guy is the face of the franchise and has to look a certain way to get instant acceptance. Problem is, he's a super smart, polite dude who can play ball really well. I'm sure after another game or two, nobody in SF will care what ink he has.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

I know, I know, this makes me a relic - but I still flinch when I see women with tattoos.
    THIS. Do ya REALLLY need a butterfly on your shoulder? A star behind your ear? Some girls can pull it off, in my opinion, with A LOT of tattoos, but one or two I'm just like "whyyyyyyyy, you do know your body is incredible as it is?"
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    I don't like tattoos - I am of an age where I still think that only guys who served in the navy should have them.
    (By the way - my best friend and sometime writing partner is inked from wrists to shoulders. I don't judge - I just don't like them.)
    However - how could ANY sports fan be in the least bit disturbed by what's all over Kaepernick's arms? Have they never seen an NBA game? It's an era where tattoos are seemingly everywhere.
    If this is being compiled for some sort of consensus, I'm in Pruitt's class.
    Don't like 'em - yes
    Judge 'em - no

It's your skin and your money.
    --
    buzmeg
    (aka bobC)

Blog Entries
    I personally like tattoos on girls as long as it isn't anything stupid.

And I can't see the authors POV at all. I don't think anyone should be judged for their appearance.

I'm not a tattoo guy. Don't have any, never will. I would like to say that my first impression of a person is in no way affected by whether or not they have tattoos, but that's not completely accurate. To me, tattoos, especially on a young person, can show a lack of foresight and by extension a lack of maturity. The idea that you could believe at 18-21 years old that you will never regret getting a tattoo just isn't realistic. It shows that the person isn't thinking about the future in a realistic way (I think of a former coworker that go a ridiculous looking Spuds McKenzie tattoo at 18 and regretted it almost immediately). In many ways, I think getting a tattoo is a passive-aggressive attack on 'old you' for getting old. This is what 'young me' wants right now and I don't care what that old person will think.

Of course many of you now think that I'm a self-righteous, sanctimonious prig (although to be fair, most of you already knew that). But I think most of you, even those with tattoos, share my attitude to some degree. It's just a question of where you draw the line. I think most people would agree that a face tattoo is usually the result of some form of mental illness. It's something that can't be hidden under any circumstances (short of a burka). I think that most of us would be at least a little hesitant to get major surgery from a doctor with a tattoo on his or her face. From there it's a matter of degrees. Face tattoo > neck tattoo > full sleeve > can be hidden by short sleeve shirt, again it's a question of where you draw the line.

Of course tattoos are just a single piece of a very big puzzle. If I was interviewing someone for a job, would their tattoos affect my opinion of them and their chances of getting the job? That depends on how I know they have the tattoo(s). If the tattoo is showing, that means it's either on their face or neck or they're not dressed appropriately for the interview. If it's not showing and I just happen to know that they have tattoos, it would have no effect. If they have a small, tasteful tattoo on one butt cheek, that would immediately disqualify them from consideration (I have a firm rule about never hiring someone who moons me during a job interview. it's one of my quirks).

Back to Kaepernick. In my opinion, his tattoos are excessive. But as I said earlier, it's just a single piece to a very big puzzle. It would have an impact as to what questions I asked during the interview in regards to his maturity, exactly the same as if he had odd piercings, a weird haircut or was strangely dressed. I would be trying to figure out if it was simply a superficial, insignificant choice or a symptom of something deeper. In the end, my opinion would be based on his responses much more than the tattoos themselves. And let's be honest, I would be interviewing a quarterback, not a physician.