Dope Sheet
    http://www.packers.com/news-and-even...8-9c490b744821

Other links:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/det/roster

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore?gid=20121209009
    http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201212.../lions@packers

http://www.nfl.com/injuries

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...1212090gnb.htm

The Lions have had a rough three weeks since the last meeting in Detroit. Three straight losses at home leave them at 4 - 8:

Code:
    2012-11-18     Packers  20 24   L
    2012-11-22      Texans  31 34   L
    2012-12-02       Colts  33 35   L
    They also seem to be competing to host the largest NFC North IR squad, adding Ryan Broyles (ACL) and Titus Young (broken head or something). Young is supposed to have surgery for something (if he shows up as Jim Schwartz put it).

Kris Durham will see action for the first time this year along with Brian Robiskie at WR. Don't know anything about Durham, what I know of Robiskie hasn't been very good. Expect to see the TE position play a part. Pettigrew had 4 catches in the last meeting, Scheffler had 1.

So the Packers will be meeting the Lions at an interesting time in the season.

This isn't exactly a new script.

Two years ago, the Packers were 8-4 facing the Lions and got tied up in the rough and tumble kind of game that always seems to happen in Detroit. Rodgers went down with a concussion, the Packers lost 3-7 and fell to 8-5. Things wound up working out but it wasn't easy.

There's some other history here too. Dating back four years or so, the Packers vs Lions games have a pattern to them. The game in Detroit tends to be defensive, with relatively little offense and low scores while the game in Green Bay is more of a track meet. This was never more true than in last years 45 - 41 win, a game of anything you can do I can better. Calvin Johnson caught 11 passes for 244 yards, Brandon Pettigrew hauled in 7 for 116 and a bunch of others also had quite a time. The game was only finally over when Shields intercepted a Stafford pass intended for Burleson to finally stop a drive. Flynn took a kneel down and the announcers likely fled looking for oxygen.

This week the Packers welcome back Ryan Grant not because they missed him exactly, but because Starks has a bone bruise and the cupboard was bare. Even our no-name players are on IR as Johnny White (oh Johnny, we hardly knew ye) joined Brandon Saine and Cedric Benson on the list. He'll likely see time in backfield. I've always liked Ryan but he hasn't run as hard as Starks was running since 2009 or so. As least he's fresh, playing a lot of chess doesn't lead to a lot of bumps and bruises. Can't say that about anyone else playing in this game (unless Pat Lee comes in as a DB for the Lions).

About last weeks injuries, no news is not good news. Jordy is going to miss I'd bet. Lang hasn't practiced or been seen much, so don't count on him. It's going to EDS against Nick Fairley all over again and Don Barclay is going to get the other side of the pummeling.

So the OL isn't looking too promising, how about the DL? Same story I fear.

Wilson hasn't made a showing yet. Mike Neal has another shoulder problem. Worthy and Daniels are going to be worn out. I expect Mikel Leshoure to have a pretty good day (not Peterson good, oh I hope not, but good).

It also looks like Shields will be back in some capacity, the one article I read with quotes indicated he's doing a lot of special teams work.

It should be about 25 or so at game time with a chance of snow. December football, it's here.

So what should we expect? I'd say that history holds and we see a game in the low 30s on both sides. If it starts snowing, well anything can happen but it's usually entertaining. I'll never forget watching as Holmgren slowly morphed into Frosty the Snowman in January of 2008. I'd like to forget that Grant had two fumbles in about 30 seconds of game time (I was close, 58 seconds) that day too, but I can't and he did wind up atoning up for it.
    Last edited by edave; 12-06-2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Updated the Yahoo box score link now that's they've released the id.

Kris Durham will see action for the first time this year along with Brian Robiskie at WR. Don't know anything about Durham, what I know of Robiskie hasn't been very good. Expect to see the TE position play a part. Pettigrew had 4 catches in the last meeting, Scheffler had 1.
    IIRC, Stafford targeted Scheffler A LOT but he was off target on a lot of those passes. We need to clamp down again.

This week the Packers welcome back Ryan Grant not because they missed him exactly, but because Starks has a bone bruise and the cupboard was bare. Even our no-name players are on IR as Johnny White (oh Johnny, we hardly knew ye) joined Brandon Saine and Cedric Benson on the list. He'll likely see time in backfield. I've always liked Ryan but he hasn't run as hard as Starks was running since 2009 or so. As least he's fresh, playing a lot of chess doesn't lead to a lot of bumps and bruises. Can't say that about anyone else playing in this game (unless Pat Lee comes in as a DB for the Lions).
    This move excites me A LOT. It's not because I think that Grant is going to tear it up. He's likely not going to get more than 45-50 yards. Where Grant WILL provide an upgrade is pass protection. He's assignment sound and a real tough cookie so look for the Pack to keep him in to chip guys. I think that a lot of his touches will come in the form of delayed routes where he forces a defender outside and then slips into the flat or over the middle. That kind of stuff will keep the defense honest as if there were a legitimate rush threat.

It's going to EDS against Nick Fairley all over again and Don Barclay is going to get the other side of the pummeling.
    I'm disappointed to see that Lang probably won't go. I was hoping that he would be healthy so that he could shift down to LG again and EDS could sit. Barclay is playing with a mean streak...he WANTS to be out there and it showed. He only had one slip up and it seemed that Rodgers is really into him being out there. It says a lot when the vets are coming up and thanking him after the game. I don't recall that happening with Newhouse. It was interesting watching him. Fundamentally he wasn't amazing, but effort he gets a A+++++++. On the Starks 22 yard TD, he did what's called an "x" block with Crabtree. Crabtree down blocks the 7-tech while Barclay pulls and seals the edge. While Barclay basically whiffed on the backer, he got in the way long enough for Starks to establish the edge.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Quote Originally Posted by packa7x View Post
    It was interesting watching him. Fundamentally he wasn't amazing, but effort he gets a A+++++++. On the Starks 22 yard TD, he did what's called an "x" block with Crabtree. Crabtree down blocks the 7-tech while Barclay pulls and seals the edge. While Barclay basically whiffed on the backer, he got in the way long enough for Starks to establish the edge.
    Right idea but wrong TE. Crabby was on the other side, Taylor got Robison contained inside and Barclay totally whiffed on Henderson (but Henderson did cut inside which was why I included the quote from Barclay elsewhere). The description really made me laugh after I watched the play.

Ah, didn't realize it was Taylor. I saw the play once and I was doing something else at the time (don't have Sunday Ticket, so forced to watch highlights) and saw a TE...figured they were going to Crabby's side because he's a solid blocker. Good to see we have some good run blocker's on that side.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Zach Kruse did a story on Grant and the snow globe game (current forecasts call for a few inches of snow before the game begins).

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/snowy-c...-rb-ryan-grant

Recap

The Lions running game began as a huge concern. Coupled with Dezman Moses being offsides twice in the first drive, not much was going well. Eventually, the Packers made enough adjustments to frustrate the Lions running attack and took advantage of a couple Stafford miscues to take the lead and change the tenor of the game. Detroits 'trees' were a pretty significant challenge (all of their guys were of the huge variety). Even if they were't winning the position battle, having 6 inches on the defender worked in their favor for a time.

Great call by the Lions on the naked bootleg on 4th and 1 for the TD. The Packers had stuffed a run already and doubled up on Calvin Johnson. Stafford had the corner all to himself. That TD was just the second opening drive TD this season (the Giants had the first).

The Rodgers fumble when whacked from behind on the opening drive was a big momentum change, as a nice drive went to naught and the Lions picked up right where they had left off. Nice play by Lawrence Jackson once freed by a Suh/Barclay/Newhouse pile up to punch the ball free while making the hit. Rodgers never did quite look the same afterward. Balls sailed, skipped off the dirt and generally didn't always go where they were targeted. Weather played a part too.

Kris Durham had an amazing one handed catch on the Lions second TD drive. That might amount to his entire career, but it was one heck of a moment.

Mike Daniels, fantasy player! His play changed momentum and was to me the play of the game.

The last TD drive was fun. No passes, all runs. Harris and Grant played a part and Van Roten reported in as an eligible receiver for a few different plays.

Green Bay Packers at 14:49

Code:
     1-10  GB 41  4Q 14:49  Green left end to GB 47 for 6 yards
      2-4  GB 47  4Q 14:13  Green right end ran ob at GB 49 for 2 yards (J.Durant).
      3-2  GB 49  4Q 13:37  (Shotgun) A.Green right guard to DET 41 for 10 yards
     1-10 DET 41  4Q 12:58  Green right end to DET 32 for 9 yards
      2-1 DET 32  4Q 12:14  Grant left tackle to DET 19 for 13 yards
     1-10 DET 19  4Q 11:33  Harris right tackle to DET 14 for 5 yards
      2-5 DET 14  4Q 10:49  Harris right guard for 14 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
    It certainly was nice to have Sam Shields back again. He made a few nice backfield plays and had the tackle of the evening on special teams. Tramon Williams had a very nice game against Megatron.

The DBs had another personal foul when going for the ball (Burnett in this case). Here's an interesting piece on fines and player reactions from last week:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...182484131.html

Finally...

The replay official for the Lions at Packers game was supposed to be Howard Slavin, whom you may recall from the Fail Mary fiasco. The NFL wisely decided to send him to Indianapolis. There, he managed to become involved in a play where Luck was obviously down on his knees before getting the pass off. Ruled an interception and returned for a Titans touchdown, the play was reviewed and not overturned. I don't know Slavin's specific part in either incident but keep him away please, he seems cursed.

On to Bears week.

And So'oto was released today. Think that says it all as far as he goes.
    "Make sure you come to the game day chat to see my feeble attempts at typing there, it's abhorrent. "
    or as gobig calls it "Ragaring"

Quote Originally Posted by Ragar View Post
    And So'oto was released today. Think that says it all as far as he goes.
    Perhaps. He certainly didn't see any snaps that I noticed when Moses/Walden/Zombo were running on fumes but I thought it was more because they wanted Miller on the roster (which likely means Wilson is going to miss more games).