Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Nick Saban

  1. #11
       
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,544
    Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post
    College coaching ISNT about player evaluation, its about recruiting. Most everyone agrees on who the top recruits are, plus or minus a few variations and surprises.

    If Alabama can get 2-4 of the (25) Rivals 5 star players and 11-13 of the Top100, then you don't have to worry about evaluation skills. Most of your opponents likely have no 5 stars and only a couple 4 stars. Go to a league where each team gets 1 of the top 32 and 3 of the top96 and no more, and where the order is reverse of last year's finish, THEN evaluation to find gems and avoid dogs is critical. Saban @ Alabama doesn't USE evaluation skills, so his success doesn't demonstrate them.
    wrt to the importance of coaching in college, I think it's the difference between Les Miles and Nick Saban. Miles can recruit with anyone. But his coaching lets him down. Saban, on the other hand, is relentless in fielding disciplined teams which generally achieve their maximum potential.

    Also, I have huge problems with outfits which rank recruits. What opened my eyes to how phony the process is, is when a given player is poorly ranked until a major recruiter, like a Miles or a Saban, shows interest. Then suddenly that player's ranking rises, without his game changing one iota.

  2. #12
       
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,544
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes27 View Post
    I wasn't saying that Saban should get control over personnnel, I was saying that when Saban coached at Miami, he didn't get the players that he wanted. The coach and GM need to be on the same page. My point is that you can't exactly disqualfiy Saban over what happened in the past. I'm not saying he can make it in the pros. I am actually skeptical that he can. But that doesn't mean he can't be.

    And you bring up a valid point about the right coach. But Nick Saban ain't winning national championships anywhere he goes. He's doing it in Alabama because he's good and he's got a built-in recruiting advantage to take advatange of.
    What you're basically saying is that only some schools can ever win the championship. To some extent I disagree. I see no reason why Nick Saban could not eventually have won a championship at Michigan State. But it would have taken time.

    Working at LSU and Alabama is a shortcut to success, because of the programs' reputation. On that, we agree.

    To get back to my original point, LSU and 'Bama may make it easier to recruit. And they may have an easier time hiring the coaches they want. But in the end, finding a coach who's good enough to put it all together is extremely hard.

    And that's why Alabama fans are probably having conniptions about Saban to Cleveland. And why Alabama's AD is feverishly trying to figure out how much more money he can shovel into Saban's checking account.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    I, for one, have no idea why Mike Lombardi is considered by so many people to be an upgrade over Tom Heckert.
    Wasn't Lombardi in Oakland when they took "Jabba" Russell?
    There is only one immutable law in life - in a gentleman's toilet, incoming traffic has the right of way.
    -Hugh Leonard

  4. #14
       
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,544
    Quote Originally Posted by Colts01 View Post
    Wasn't Lombardi in Oakland when they took "Jabba" Russell?
    Yup. His NFL titles are all "player personnel" type stuff. Never GM. I assume that means he was a contracts/cap guy?

  5. #15
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Elkton, MD
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post

    Also, I have huge problems with outfits which rank recruits. What opened my eyes to how phony the process is, is when a given player is poorly ranked until a major recruiter, like a Miles or a Saban, shows interest. Then suddenly that player's ranking rises, without his game changing one iota.

    This is an interesting statement. Do you have any evidence showing this to be the case? I myself have not noticed something like this, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I'd just like to see something tangible if you have it.


    I go back to what 6 mentioned about Mike Lombardi, and agree with him 100%. I'm not sure why he's become so popular. Perhaps it's the fact that he gives analysis on a network that isn't ESPN, so therefore, people don't feel oversaturated with his presence, and still believe he's "smart" since his role on NFLN is merely them setting him up in the perfectly manipulated role to show off how "smart" he is.

    But when it comes to Nick Saban, I think it makes a lot of sense on both sides. Saban already has a legacy as one of the greatest college coaches of all-time. There's really nothing else for him to accomplish. He's in his 60s, so if he has a chance for a perfect marriage in the NFL, then I could see him considering the move. Like most coaches, he's looking for a challenge, and the NFL is a challenge he's yet to conquer. To have his career essentially go full circle in Cleveland, potentially reuniting with a GM he'd be comfortable with in Mike Lombardi, then why wouldn't he consider it? And why wouldn't the Browns? It's the type of out-of-box type of decision that could lead to a major home run for a franchise that desperately needs it.

    Of course, maybe Saban is perfectly content in Alabama. Maybe he's long-since decided that Bama would be his last job. If so, great for him. But to the best of my knowledge, the words "Saban" and "content" have never before appeared in the same sentence, as Nick Saban doesn't exactly come across as the type of guy who's content. But that fact is what makes him successful, and is exactly why the Browns should explore this option.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

    -Marion Motley

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •