Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playoff Machine

Blog Entries

Playoff Machine

Over at ESPN, you can have some fun plugging in scenarios over the final few weeks to efficiently find out how outcomes might shape seeding. Just thought I'd pass it along. Feel free to share both the likely and bizarre on this thread.
    @kocsan

I like the Yahoo version just because it's easier to operate (slap in a scenario and then go mad making changes):

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario

Cool stuff! Here's how I think it's going to shake out...

Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Based on my hunches, Chicago would be out on tiebreakers. Ugh.

AFC (in order): Houston, New England, Denver, Baltimore, Indy, Cincinnati
    NFC: Atlanta, Green Bay, SF, Washington, NY Giants, Seattle.

Admittedly, I probably like the Redskins a bit more than I should, and give the Giants a little more credit than they deserve too. We'll see

Blog Entries
    Looks like next week is literally do-or-die for Cincinnati. I couldn't find a single scenario where the Bengals make the playoffs if they lose to Pittsburgh. Even if all the AFCN teams and Indy finish at 9-7, the Bengals would be the odd team out. The Bengals can, however, beat Pittsburgh and lose to Baltimore and still make it.
    Twitter @vancemeek "I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory...lasts forever."-Shane Falco

Blog Entries
    I think the only way the Bengals can lose next week and still make the playoffs is if (1) Cincinnati beats Baltimore and (2) if Pittsburgh loses to Dallas and Cleveland.

The complication, in that situation, is that the Bengals need the Jets to lose one of these last three games. Apparently, they own a tiebreaker with Cincinnati for some reason.
    @kocsan

Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    I think the only way the Bengals can lose next week and still make the playoffs is if (1) Cincinnati beats Baltimore and (2) if Pittsburgh loses to Dallas and Cleveland.

The complication, in that situation, is that the Bengals need the Jets to lose one of these last three games. Apparently, they own a tiebreaker with Cincinnati for some reason.
    The first tiebreaker is head-to-head if its two teams. The second tiebreaker is division record, if both teams are in the same division. The third tiebreaker is conference record. The Jets have a better conference record over the Steelers or Bengals.

Quote Originally Posted by vancemeek View Post
    Looks like next week is literally do-or-die for Cincinnati. I couldn't find a single scenario where the Bengals make the playoffs if they lose to Pittsburgh. Even if all the AFCN teams and Indy finish at 9-7, the Bengals would be the odd team out. The Bengals can, however, beat Pittsburgh and lose to Baltimore and still make it.
    The Ravens win the division in that scenario due to the conference record tiebreaker. In fact, the Ravens just need to win one of the next three games to win the division, since they own any tiebreaker against the Bengals or Steelers.

With the three-way tie between Indy, Steelers and Bengals. Its kinda goofy, but only two of those teams advance for tiebreaking purposes and in that case, the Steelers advance over the Bengals because the Steelers will have a better division record. And the Colts win out over the Steelers due to better conference record.

Over at ESPN, you can have some fun plugging in scenarios over the final few weeks to efficiently find out how outcomes might shape seeding. Just thought I'd pass it along. Feel free to share both the likely and bizarre on this thread.
    I sorta like the idea of just watching the games and seeing what happens. If you have a favorite team, then there are certain teams you want to lose, and that's pretty obvious.

Blog Entries

I tried that scenario. Still lost out on tiebreakers. They literally have to beat Pittsburgh or they're out.
    Twitter @vancemeek "I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory...lasts forever."-Shane Falco