Thread: The Myth of Team?

The Myth of Team?

Former Detroit Lion Lomas Brown claims he deliberately missed a block so his quarterback would be injured and forced out of the game. He claims he did it because he was tired of Scott Mitchell's poor play and wanted to force a change.

All my life I've been told that teammates set aside their personal differences and work together against the enemy. That once the game starts, a player would protect his worst enemy on his own team against his best friend on another team.

Is this a myth? Or is Lomas Brown a special kind of dirtbag?

Or both?

Blog Entries
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Lomas Brown also part of one of the major lawsuits pending against the NFL for knowingly endangering the safety of players?
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

Yes.

And for Brown, who is suing the NFL because he says the NFL didn’t do enough to protect players from concussions, to celebrate the fact that he once stood by and allowed an opponent to take an injury-causing free shot at a teammate, is pitiful.
    Can't make this stuff up, can you?
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

I actually took a very interesting class on the psychology of elite performers. Teamwork IS important because the whole team focuses on a common goal rather than the individual. There are 4 stages to group development:

Forming
    Storming
    Norming
    Performing

It's only in performing when guys will lay themselves on the line for the good of the team and ignore personal gripes. You'll notice all of the best teams have an immense team cohesiveness. Perpetually bad teams have low team cohesiveness. It's amazing how simple it really is.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Makes me wonder how often this happens in today's NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartaChris View Post
    Yeah, that's more or less what I was driving at. This whole business of NFL teams being unified, players having each other's backs, I wonder how much of that is a myth?

Quote Originally Posted by SpartaChris View Post
    "Every Sunday" - Arizona Quarterbacks