Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Week 17 Thread

NFL Week 17 Thread

Just watched part of Chuck Pagano press conference on his return to work.
    Not sure anything can top that in week 17.

Redskins WR Josh Morgan did a Reddit AMA (Ask me Anything)

Nothing spectacular. But here's the thing. I've seen every Redskins success since the days of George Allen.

But Reddit users trend young. And as I read the questions, it dawned on me that there's a generation of Redskins fans who have never seen their team have great success. Or who even understand what the rivalry with Dallas used to be.

Maybe, if we're lucky, they'll be witness to the next great era in Redskins history. Maybe someday they'll be the crusty old man who tells n00bs how great things used to be in Washington.

For my money, the one position where the difference between college and pros is most apparent to the untrained eye, is field goal kicker.

The NFL is a huge step up everywhere. But for the most part, the difference isn't readily obvious to the general observer. When two superior linemen go against each other, it pretty much looks the same as two inferior linemen going at it. Inferior QBs stack up amazing numbers in college. Receivers who'll never see the pros make nice grabs in college.

But field goals stand in stark relief. Pro or college, the challenge is the same: get the ball a long distance through a narrow gap. It doesn't matter who you're playing against. When the standard of measurement is so easy for everyone to see, so too are the differences between the good and the great.

I watch college bowl games and every field goal is an adventure. Nothing is a given. But I just watched Houston kick a 51-yarder in the dome and make it look routine. I'll jinx the Redskins kicker, but Kai Forbath has made 17 in a row. The consistency and length of NFL FG kickers is amazing.

JJ Watts two away from Strahan's sack record. Given how Strahan set the record, he really ought to be one away.

Houston is looking very demoralized today.

Also, Detroit.. What appeared to be another record setting day in the motor city is quickly setting up to be a day of bitter disappointment.

The Bucs are really getting to Matt Ryan today.

Blog Entries
    Detroit mounting a comeback.

Colts run back a 102 yard kick. Right up the middle, untouched. What a great feeling it must be to run 80 yards with nothing to do but enjoy the home crowd cheering you.

Time to ask the question: is scheduling divisional games in Week 17 a good or a bad idea?

I'm leaning towards bad. The Falcons-Bucs game is not baking well. The Falcons only have half a foot in the game. PFT says the same is true of the Browns-Steelers game. Since the Broncos will know their fate by kickoff, the same is likely to be true of them.

On the other hand, Colts-Houston seems to be pretty lively.

To me, the cost-benefit is off. The benefit is an attempt to shoehorn drama into games that are usually meaningless. The cost is draining intensity from games which would otherwise be among the most passionate a team plays in the regular season. IOW, sucking the life out of divisional rivalries.

Shoot. John Abraham carted off. That about kills Atlanta's pass rush. They already lost Dunta Robinson to a concussion.

Blog Entries
    Atlanta will be one and done again. I haven't believed in them all year.