Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Russell Wilson

Blog Entries

Russell Wilson

Just curious if any of us have had any changes of heart on him as the season has progressed. Watching him the last 4-5 weeks has been amazingly fun. I was high in the guy but he has succeeded even my expectations.

I got the chance to watch him a number of times when he was at Wisconsin, including in person at Spartan Stadium against a very good MSU defense. Based on that, I thought he would end up as one of the three best QBs coming out of this draft (with Luck and RG3). That being said, I've been impressed with how quickly he's been able to adjust to the speed of the game, and really take command of the offense (I personally thought his breakthrough would be in year 2 or 3, possibly in a situation similar to Colin Kaepernick this year). Nothing I've seen has invalidated my prediction that he'll be very good for many years, it has only been enhanced. I think Pete Carroll has to be commended for both making the decision to go with Wilson, as well as coaching him up to where he's at right now.

I was really high on him when I saw what he was doing in pre-season. He was so much better than Flynn. I got worried when he started a bit slowly. But now it's obvious that my early enthusiasm was justified.

I'm delighted for Seattle, which has been a meh team forever, even going as far back as Zorn, Largent and Warner. Pete Carroll has really built a passionate, exciting team for a passionate, exciting fan base. Wilson is a perfect complement to that.

Remember last year when Cam Newton was the greatest rookie QB ever to live times infinity??? Now this year he's 1/2 the QB he was. Athletic rookie QBs are at an advantage because defenses aren't sure how to defend them. I want to see Wilson in season 2 before passing judgement.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Fair enough. Same goes for Luck and RGIII. They all need to pass the test of time. Still, I'm enjoying their rookie seasons. Hope it continues.

Yes, all definitely have to pass the test of time. Its the curse of the athletic QB though. They all seem to fail. Has a truly run/pass QB ever won a SB??? I guess the closest 2 are Elway and Young. I don't think either of them have the scrambling ability of a Wilson, RGIII, Newton though.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

I place Montana in that category, although they rarely called a run play for him. But he was a heck of a scrambler and gained a lot of yards that way.

Packa, it certainly is too early. That being said, I've been very impressed with what I've seen out of him so far, and I like that he has improved throughout the season (Cam Newton regressed in the second half of last season). Certainly, as time goes on, we can reevaluate what we are saying. I'm going to fight you on two things you said though. #1) The regression of Cam Newton from last season to this season has been overstated. Look below.

Cam Newton 2011: 253 YPG (passing), 44 YPG (rushing), 35 TDs (14 rushing), 17 INTs, 6.24 ANY/A, 0.8% DVOA
    Cam Newton 2012: 241 YPG (passing), 47 YPG (rushing), 27 TDs (8 rushing), 11 INTs, 6.70 ANY/A, 4.4% DVOA

Cam hasn't put up the numbers that some people expected him too, but he hasn't been too far off from last season. He's improved on INTs, and his yardage totals aren't too far off what he had last year. He's been a little better in some of the advanced metrics this season, though not substantially so. Let's not bury Cam yet either.

#2) A truly run/pass QB has never won a Super Bowl unless you want to count Steve Young (I don't think I'd count either Elway or Montana, but I could hear an argument). But, at the same time, has there ever been a QB who could both throw like these guys do that were also as mobile? Maybe young Vick, who was never as accurate as these guys when it comes to throwing the ball (at least, that's my memory, I didn't look it up). Remember, just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't happen.
    Last edited by DaBearsFan; 12-29-2012 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBearsFan View Post
    #2) A truly run/pass QB has never won a Super Bowl unless you want to count Steve Young (I don't think I'd count either Elway or Montana, but I could hear an argument). But, at the same time, has there ever been a QB who could both throw like these guys do that were also as mobile? Maybe young Vick, who was never as accurate as these guys when it comes to throwing the ball (at least, that's my memory, I didn't look it up). Remember, just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't happen.
    I agree with this. My prototype for the old-school running QB is Randall Cunningham. He, like most of them, was a terrible thrower.

Just an idea, but it seems to me this "running qb" can be successful thing is recent. Perhaps it has something to do with the rule changes. Perhaps it has something to do with defenses not being as good as 15+ years ago. Not playing as physical. I know the level of ability a throwing qb has increased, but 20 years ago they would have run his bell repeatedly.

I'm a big rg3 fan, but he wouldn't have lasted 4 games in 1998. As good as rg has been, he sure wasn't against Pittsburgh. I'm surprised others didn't use that blueprint to slow him down.

Still lots to be seen from their careers, it's way early. However, I see a slide coming for Wilson next year. I've never been high on him, and a year of tape is going to make it harder.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.