Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Random fun fact that may interest only me...

  1. #1
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Elkton, MD
    Posts
    7,026
    Blog Entries
    1

    Random fun fact that may interest only me...

    Did you know...

    The Chicago Bears are the only current franchise in the NFL to have a franchise rushing leader that has gained more yards than the franchise passing leader.

    Sid Luckman- 14,686
    Walter Payton- 16,727

    Next are the Lions. Barry Sanders' final rushing total is within a few hundred yards of Bobby Layne's franchise passing total.

    Bobby Layne- 15,710
    Barry Sanders- 15,269

    After that, there are only 2 more franchises who have a rusher that is barely within 50% of the franchise's top passer. Those teams are Dallas and Cleveland.

    Dallas-
    Troy Aikman- 32.942
    Emmitt Smith- 17,162

    Cleveland-
    Brian Sipe- 23,713
    Jim Brown- 12,312


    Other than those 4 teams, no other team has a RB who has gained even half of the yards that the franchise's top QB has gained.

    I suppose these are the minimally fascinating things I find when I have a team that's not currently represented in the playoffs.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

    -Marion Motley

  2. #2
    Nope. Never knew. I also promised myself not to drink before I finish researching these Wild Card Games.

    That is, actually, even though painful, one of my favorite stats about the Bears to point out in conversations about quarterbacking.

    Luckman, 2.5 yrs of McMahon, 2 Eric Kramer years and Cutler. That's about it. The rest is filled with the Bob Avellinis, Chad Hutchinsons, Rudy Bukichs and Gary Huffs of the quarterbacking world.
    Last edited by Rich Gapinski; 01-04-2013 at 03:18 PM.

  3. #3
    I'm not sure what's more telling about the Bears QB history, this piece of trivia or just listing the great QBs that have started for the Bears over the last 10-20 years (personal favorites include Craig Krenzel, former MSU Spartan Jim Miller, Jonathon Quinn, and former savior of the franchise Cade McClown. Er, I mean McNown).

  4. #4
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    5,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Gapinski View Post
    Nope. Never knew. I also promised myself not to drink before I finish researching these Wild Card Games.

    That is, actually, even though painful, one of my favorite stats about the Bears to point out in conversations about quarterbacking.

    Luckman, 2.5 yrs of McMahon, 2 Eric Kramer years and Cutler. That's about it. The rest is filled with the Bob Avellinis, Chad Hutchinsons, Rudy Bukichs and Gary Huffs of the quarterbacking world.
    Since the merger, the Browns have had four pro bowl QBs - one named Derek Anderson, one named Bill Nelson (one appearance each). Other two were Sipe and Kosar.

    The Bills have had three NFL pro bowl QBs since the merger (and one before).

    One was named Jim Kelly and the other two were Bledsoe and Flutie who somehow made it in once each. So yes, Bears fan, I feel your pain.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

  5. #5
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    3,869
    Blog Entries
    5
    The other thing you have to notice about this stat is the group of runningbacks: Payton, Sanders, Smith, and Brown. Those are all GOAT-candidate RBs.
    @kocsan

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Gapinski View Post
    Nope. Never knew. I also promised myself not to drink before I finish researching these Wild Card Games.

    That is, actually, even though painful, one of my favorite stats about the Bears to point out in conversations about quarterbacking.

    Luckman, 2.5 yrs of McMahon, 2 Eric Kramer years and Cutler. That's about it. The rest is filled with the Bob Avellinis, Chad Hutchinsons, Rudy Bukichs and Gary Huffs of the quarterbacking world.
    I honestly feel bad for the Bears with the QB situation. 1992-present, TWENTY YEARS of MVP worthy QB play from the Packers. Cutler is all the Bears have had really. That being said, you guys have a wonderful identity as a physical team.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

    1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    West Hills, California
    Posts
    2,182
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBearsFan View Post
    I'm not sure what's more telling about the Bears QB history, this piece of trivia or just listing the great QBs that have started for the Bears over the last 10-20 years (personal favorites include Craig Krenzel, former MSU Spartan Jim Miller, Jonathon Quinn, and former savior of the franchise Cade McClown. Er, I mean McNown).
    Its probably more of an indictment on the QBs for the Chicago Bears. If the Bears keep a QB long enough, that anomaly will go away, considering how easy it is to get to 3,000 yards. Heck, Cutler is at 12,292 in 4 seasons. So he can easily break Luckman's record next year.

  8. #8
       
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,544
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Gapinski View Post
    That is, actually, even though painful, one of my favorite stats about the Bears to point out in conversations about quarterbacking.

    Luckman, 2.5 yrs of McMahon, 2 Eric Kramer years and Cutler. That's about it. The rest is filled with the Bob Avellinis, Chad Hutchinsons, Rudy Bukichs and Gary Huffs of the quarterbacking world.
    That's why McMahon was so magical. I remember when he came on the scene. It was like adding Ben to last year's Texans. Great D and suddenly a QB who could make things happen. They went from a grinding, kinda hopeless team to something that was really fun to watch. I have dim memories of one Monday Night in particular. I think he may have came on in relief, not sure, and the place lit up.

  9. #9
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Elkton, MD
    Posts
    7,026
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    That's why McMahon was so magical. I remember when he came on the scene. It was like adding Ben to last year's Texans. Great D and suddenly a QB who could make things happen. They went from a grinding, kinda hopeless team to something that was really fun to watch. I have dim memories of one Monday Night in particular. I think he may have came on in relief, not sure, and the place lit up.
    From bearshistory.com, I'm assuming this is the game to which you are referring. It was a prime time game, against Minnesota, but it was actually a Thursday instead of a Monday.

    Bears 33, Vikings 24: September 19, 1985
    The McMahon miracle occurred on this Thursday night in Minnesota. McMahon had been standing on the sidelines until roughly halfway through the third period-banished there by coach Mike Ditka as he hadn't practiced most of the week. The failure to practice was due to painful back and neck issues McMahon was suffering through, some thought due to the head-butts he was inclined to share with offensive linemen.
    Midway through the third period, the Steve Fuller-led Bears trailed the Vikings 17-9. Chicago's offense looked so stagnant that it seemed the Bears' miracle season would come off its tracks before it got started. Then, sick of McMahon harassing him all game, Ditka told his starter to "get his ass in there." The result? A 70-yard touchdown pass to Willie Gault on the first play after McMahon's entrance. Trailing 17-16, the Bears scored again on a 25-yard pass to Dennis McKinnon on McMahon's second play under center. On McMahon's eighth play in the game, he threw another 43-yard touchdown to McKinnon. The Bears led 30-17 after the passes en route to an improbable 33-24 victory.
    The game was McMahon's first on national television. "Not too many people know about Jim McMahon," he said before the game. After this one, the nation certainly did.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

    -Marion Motley

  10. #10
       
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,172
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetbdw View Post
    From bearshistory.com, I'm assuming this is the game to which you are referring. It was a prime time game, against Minnesota, but it was actually a Thursday instead of a Monday.
    That's a strange write up.

    McMahon had been starting for more than two years by that point. If you were paying attention, you knew who he was. He'd already started annoying Pete Rozelle. And while fans and players like to get on him for his headbutts, none of them usually bother to bring up Charles Martin, who used punky as a human jackhammer in '86.

    I really disliked McMahon but he was a character and for a short period there, a deadly QB.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •