Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chip Kelly to Cleveland?

Blog Entries

Chip Kelly to Cleveland?

The Cleveland Browns are apparently on the verge of inking Oregon coach Chip Kelly to a contract to become their next head coach.

Things do not, uh... look good for the Brandon Weeden experiment. Not that I'm all that upset about that, I guess.

I'm still an agnostic about whether or not Kelly's system can work in the NFL. And considering the Browns' offensive line's real strength is pass-blocking, this will certainly be interesting. If it's coming together this quickly, though, this should confirm that the rumors were correct and that this was the guy Haslam wanted from the beginning.
    Last edited by mkocs6; 01-04-2013 at 06:47 PM.
    @kocsan

Don't see how he'll fit with the current talent.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    Don't see how he'll fit with the current talent.
    I think Cleveland has more talent than given credit for. They have a good D, Gordon is a legit #1 WR, and Benjamin is a really good slot guy. Little has talent if he can cure the droppsies. They have a really good TE in Watson. The O-Line is good. The only thing they lack is a QB. I think Lewis fits Kelly's system better than Weeden, but they very well might draft a QB in the draft.

There are a few QB's I think fit the type of system he runs:

Geno Smith
    Tajh Boyd
    Mike Glennon
    E.J. Manuel
    Keith Price

Not saying they don't have talent, I'm saying the talent doesn't fit the coach.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    Not saying they don't have talent, I'm saying the talent doesn't fit the coach.
    Again I respectfully disagree in a big way.

Quote Originally Posted by tubbs1518 View Post
    Again I respectfully disagree in a big way.
    I think I can live with that.

Blog Entries
    Since I told you why I thought that way, why don't you explain why you don't think they fit instead of just 1 line answers?

Colt McCoy told Chip Kelly has plans for him for 2013--per PFT

Wow.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Quote Originally Posted by tubbs1518 View Post
    Since I told you why I thought that way, why don't you explain why you don't think they fit instead of just 1 line answers?
    I wasn't aware I was required to justify my answer to you, especially since I never said you were wrong.

Don't think dumping Weeden is smart for the franchise given he's a recent #1 and has talent. Ithink he can run kellys spread if he ditches the running qb aspect. Also don't think Richardson fits an uptempo offense, nor do I think their defense, which is good, fits with an uptempo offense. A chip Kelly defense is on the field a lot because the offense either scores quick or flames out quick. They aren't big on time of possession. It won't be good for guys like Taylor, rubin, Shepard and Rucker. Dline needs to be smaller and quicker, not bigger guys.

He would have been a great fit in Philly with those skill guys and the talent they have on the Dline. An amazingly great fit.
    Last edited by Bengals1181; 01-04-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    I think Philly could have been a good fit, but I don't think Cleveland is a bad fit.

Richardson is a good fit for any offense. He can also catch very well which is a huge asset that Kelly loves his RB's to be able to do. Weeden never should have been a #1 and I think McCoy and Lewis both fit this offense much better. Also Weeden isn't owed much money and not playing him isn't an issue. You don't need smaller guys, you just need good depth which they can get. They have a very good secondary and are very good at stopping the run. I think this is a pretty good fit personally.