Thread: So the Bills hired a new coach...

So the Bills hired a new coach...

Doug Marrone, currently head coach at Syracuse University. I don't care.

A coach who is married to a scheme or set of schemes is inadequate. A head coach who hires such coaches is inadequate. I haven't heard Marrone on this subject. Until I do, I won't say see you in 2015.

On a related note, if he doesn't try to hire Bobby April to come back and coach the kicking teams I will think he is a jackass.

I have no idea whether or not he is a good hire.

I will however say that I am happy with the thought that the Bills hired a new guy - a respected college coach with no head coaching experience in the NFL. Much better than bringing in a proven loser like ole Chan or someone who was recently run out of town like Whisenhunt.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

OK, after saying he wanted coordinators with extensive NFL experience - and I would have loved to see Norv's sad face on the sidelines, cause running an offense is the thing he does better than most - Marrone has hired Nate Hackett, his OC at Syracuse. 33 year old Nathaniel Hackett, with four years experience as an NFL coach. Offensive Quality Control. Which means he breaks down tape into pass versus run. The film-making equivalent is running Craft Service, i.e. Stacking The Snack Table. This bodes well. Is he Paul Hackett's kid? Is that any kind of endorsement? Quite an exhaustive search, this. In two days he has sifted the available dudes and found his guy?

I will stop now. You are likely to hear form me twice before the week of the draft.

Best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottDCP View Post
    Is he Paul Hackett's kid?
    The Wiki 8 ball says yes.

OK, after saying he wanted coordinators with extensive NFL experience - and I would have loved to see Norv's sad face on the sidelines, cause running an offense is the thing he does better than most
    I am going to play the devil's advocate here nd refer folks to the stats of the teams that had Turner as OC - Other than the Cowboys team that was loaded with hall of famers.

2001 Chargers

2002-3 Dolphins

2006 49ers

Not much year to year improvement and while he wasn't blessed with rosters anywhere near as good as he had with Dallas, the record is spotty. Surely there are younger guys who can fill the bill.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    Surely there are younger guys who can fill the bill.
    Isn't offense kind of a young man's game these days? I wouldnt want norv as my oc, and given the fill bills fans have of retreads and ex hc as coordinators I'm sure most would agree.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

I have had a chance to listen to the Coordinator hires, and don't tell anybody I said this, but I like what each one is saying. They both speak of scheming to the skills of the players available. This makes me comfy.

If it were my team, I'd be more worried about Nix than I would Marrone.

Reading through Nix's wiki page, he takes (or his ghost writer gives him) credit for a series of Pro Bowl draftees by the Chargers. Buddy Nix has been in Buffalo since January, 2009. He has yet to draft a Pro Bowler.

Is there a pile of talent in Buffalo that everyone's overlooking because of the team's record?

Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    If it were my team, I'd be more worried about Nix than I would Marrone.

Reading through Nix's wiki page, he takes (or his ghost writer gives him) credit for a series of Pro Bowl draftees by the Chargers. Buddy Nix has been in Buffalo since January, 2009. He has yet to draft a Pro Bowler.

Is there a pile of talent in Buffalo that everyone's overlooking because of the team's record?
    Yes. The guys in the top five at their positions include:
    Kyle Williams
    Jairus Byrd
    Andy Levitre
    Leodis the Kick Returner

Top third:
    Eric Wood, though injury-prone (I should have had him yellow for that)
    Mario Williams
    CJ
    Freddie (similar to Wood in recent injury history)
    Stevie

First and Second Year players with potential to be in either of the above groups:
    Dareus, though I have my doubts
    Gilmore
    Glenn

Guys who have recently been there and could return, though age could become a factor:
    George Wilson
    Nick Barnett

And David Nelson, who is valuable to the team for being its most charismatic natural leader and his ability to never drop a pass while being basketball sized.

Guys who have recently been there and could return, though age could become a factor:
    George Wilson
    Nick Barnett
    Both gone now. I doubt they will be brought back at lower salaries. I do not support either move, although I understand it if they think the team needs to get younger. The probblem is they don't need to get worse, and they just cut the third and fourth best players from last year's defense after Kyle and Byrd. Until Aaron williams, Justin Rogers, and Torrell Troup are out, it looks an awful lot like busy work. And if they bring in Laron Landry I will be sorely displeased.