Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deja Va, all over again.

Blog Entries

Deja Va, all over again.

It's Championship Sunday, and the two teams that should be here are. We get the Ravens and Pats for the second year in a row. Simms, Nantz, and Bill Leavy will get to witness a great game, if past ones are any indications.

History is watching as well: Ray Lewis in his last AFC Game. Tom Brady in his 7th AFC Championship game, trying to get to his 6th Superbowl. BB trying for post season win 19, which would tie him with Shula for #2 all time. All but one came with the Pats, the last, with the Browns, came against us, if I recall correctly.

The winner gets the 49ers, who were lucky enough to win on a non call in 4th and 4 at the game's end. Sucks for the Falcons, and for the NFL, when a wonderful game is decided by the refs. But, onto us and the Ravens. Go AFC!!

First note of the night. Dear CBS, 6:30 kickoff means the ball kicks off at 6:30, not at 6:41.

Pats D1: Start at the 20

1st and 10: Ridley, 5
    2nd and 5: Brady to Hernandez, 10
    1st and 10: Ridley, 3
    2nd and 7: Ridley, 5
    3rd and 2: Brady to Welker, deep, off Welker's hands. I'd rather get the first
    4th and 2: We line up to run a fake punt with Mallet, Raven's call timeout 1
    4th and 2: Punt

Ravens D1: Start at the 13

1st and 10: Rice, 2
    2nd and 8: Rice, 3
    3rd and 5: Flacco to Rice, incomplete
    4th and 5: Punt

Pats D2: Start at the 21, two holds called on us before Welker gets the ball. Iffy to say the least. Skimishing post play.

1st and 10: Brady to Lloyd, 8
    2nd and 2: Ridley, 3
    1st and 10: Brady to Hernandez, 8
    2nd and 2: Brady to Welker, screen, incomplete
    3rd and 2: Brady to Lloyd, 14
    1st and 10: Brady to Lloyd, deep, incomplete
    2nd and 10: Brady to Hernandez, screen, 11
    1st and 10: Ridley, 1
    2nd and 9: Brady to Lloyd, 16
    1st and 10: Ridley, 2
    2nd and 8: Hernandez end around, 6
    3rd and 2: Ridley, 1
    4th and 1: 31 yard FG: good. 3-0 Pats

Ravens D2: Start at the 10, after illegal block in the back on the return.

1st and 10: Flacco to Leach, 17. Nice play.
    2nd and 8: Flacco to Q, incomplete
    3rd and 8: False Start, Rice
    3rd and 13: Flacco to Q, defended by Talib. Talib's limping,
    4th and 13: Punt

Pats D3: Start at the 33. Talib to the locker room.

1st and 10: Vereen, 7
    2nd and 3: Vereen, 0. Ngata with the stop.
    3rd and 3: Brady to Hernandez, 7, plus a personal foul on Ray Lewis.
    1st and 10: Brady to Hernandez, high, incomplete
    2nd and 10: Vereen, 1
    3rd and 9: Brady to Lloyd, incomplete. Lloyd made a great attempt for the ball.
    4th and 9: Punt. We are going into the wind which is why we're punting. Normally, it would be a FG attempt, but there are 20 MPH gusts.

Ravens D3: Start at the 8

1st and 10: Pierce, 11
    1st and 10: Pierce, 3
    2nd and 7: Flacco to Dixon, off Dixon's hands.
    3rd and 7: Flacco deep to Pitta, through his hands
    4th and 7: Punt

Pats D4: Start at the 47

1st and 10: Brady incomplete. Grounding almost called, but he was out of the pocket, and it was past the Los. Good job by the refs.
    2nd and 10: Brady to Hernandez, 8
    3rd and 2: Brady to Lloyd, pass defended by Williams. Kruger nearly picked it on the deflection.
    4th and 2: Punt

Ravens D4: Start at the 10. Talib is questionable to return.

1st and 10: Rice, 3
    End of the First Quarter
    2nd and 7: Flacco to Leach, fumble forced by Mayo, goes OOB at the 15
    3rd and 5: Flacco to Pitta, 18
    2nd and 8: Flacco to Rice, 11
    2nd and 8: Flacco to Pierce, 8. They're killing us with dumpoffs to the backs
    1st and 10: Pierce, 4
    2nd and 6: Flacco to Smith, 25
    1st and 10: Rice, 8
    2nd and 2: Rice, 5
    1st and goal: Flacco to Pitta, incomplete
    2nd and goal: Rice, 2, TD. We had two chances in the backfield and both Hightower and Mayo missed. The Defense needs to pick the game up. They were made to look like scrubs this drive. And, Chung is down. 7-3 Ravens.

Pats D5: Start at the 21

1st and 10: Ridley, 3. Post play personal foul on Ellerbee. A really lame call.
    1st and 10: Brady to Welker, 7
    2nd and 3: Brady to Lloyd, 4
    1st and 10: Ridley, 7
    2nd and 3: Ridley, 4
    1st and 10: Brady to Welker, screen, 24
    1st and 10: Ridley, 8
    2nd and 2: Brady to Hernandez, 7
    1st and goal: Brady pass batted down by Pollard.
    2nd and goal: Ridley, 1
    3rd and goal: Brady to Welker, 1, TD! 10-7 Pats

Ravens D5: Start at the 14

1st and 10: Pierce strung out, -1
    2nd and 11: Pierce, 5
    3rd and 6: Flacco sacked by Ninkovitch! 4 yard loss
    4th and 10: Punt

Pats D6: Start at the Ravens 43

1st and 10: Ridley, 5
    2nd and 5: Brady 2, on a scramble, the ref was in the way and cost us at least a first down.
    3rd and 3: Woodhead, 2
    4th and 1: Direct snap to Woodhead, 7. Timeout 1, Pats
    1st and 10: Brady to Hernandez, incomplete
    2nd and 10: Brady to Branch, incomplete. Two Ravens collide on the play
    3rd and 10: Brady to Hernandez, 17, Timeout 2, Pats
    1st and goal: Brady, 3, scamble. Timeout 3, Pats. Poor clock management.
    2nd and goal: 25 yard FG: Good, 13-7 Pats, but we missed a chance there.

We're 4 of 9 on 3rd and 1 of 1 on 4th.
    The Ravens are 1 of 5 on 3rd down. If they don't get better we'll win.

Refs are doing well. The big stories, after one half are Talib and Chung out for us, and the fact we're missing chances for TDs.
    "Amy is happily drinking the tears of Broncos fans." Giantsfan97.

Is it just me, or does Nate Solder have a little bit of the Tunch Ilkin Syndrome? He seems to set back in his three point stance a heck of a lot more on pass plays, regardless of whether it's a run fake.

Blog Entries
    Ravens D6: Start at the 25 after a short kickoff

1st and 10: Rice, 1
    2nd and 9: Flacco under pressure, deep to Smith, off Smith's hands
    3rd and 9: Flacco to Q, ugly play but successful, 26
    1st and 10: Rice, -2. Mayo and Spikes with the stop
    2nd and 12: Flacco to Smith, incomplete
    3rd and 12: Flacco to Smith, way overthrown.
    4th and 12: Punt

Pats D7: Start at the 9. Ravens could have been called for interference.

1st and 10: Brady to Lloyd, 6
    2nd and 4: Ridley, 5
    1st and 10: Brady to Hernandez, 5
    2nd and 5: Brady to Welker, 25, plus 15 on Graham. Should been on Pollard.
    1st and 10: Brady to Hernandez, in the endzone. Overthrown
    2nd and 10: Woodhead, 3
    3rd and 7: Brady to Welker, dropped. Woulda been a first
    4th and 7: Again we punt, because we're going into the wind.

Ravens D7: Start on the 13. It should be the 28, as Danny Aiken should have been flagged for a cheap shot on Ed Reed on the catch.

1st and 10: Flacco to Doss, pass defended by Denard. He gets called for PI in a clear make up call for the non call on the punt.
    1st and 10: Flacco to Doss, Arrington defends the pass.
    2nd and 10: Flacco to Pitta, 22.
    1st and 10: Flacco deep to Smith, incomplete.
    2nd and 10: Flacco to Rice, on a desperate screen, 15
    1st and 10: Flacco to Smith, 5
    2nd and 5: Pierce, 8
    1st and 10: Flacco to Jones, overthrown
    2nd and 10: Flacco to Q, 12
    1st and goal: Flacco to Pitta, 5. Mayo levelled him
    2nd and goal: Flacco to Pitta, 5, TD, 14-13 Ravens. Good drive.

Pats D8: Start at the 25

1st and 10: Brady to Welker, 8
    2nd and 2: Brady to Lloyd, bad throw
    3rd and 2: Brady to Woodhead, 3. Negated by holding, Solder.
    3rd and 12: Brady to Hernandez, incomplete. The penalty hurt us.
    4th and 12: Punt

Ravens D8: Start at the 37

1st and 10: Flacco to Rice, -4. Hightower with the play
    2nd and 14: Flacco to Smith, 23. Terrible D
    1st and 10: Rice 5, negated by offsides D
    1st and 5: Rice, 3
    2nd and 2: Flacco to Smith, defended by Dennard
    3rd and 2: Pierce, 11. Again, we miss a play in the backfield
    1st and 10: Pierce, 6
    2nd and 4: Flacco to Pitta, 6
    1st and 10: Flacco to Q, 8
    2nd and 2: Rice, 2
    End of the Third
    1st and goal: Flacco to Q, 2, TD. 21-13 Ravens.

Pats D9: Start at the 16

1st and 10: Ridley, 9
    2nd and 1: Ridley, 0
    3rd and 1: Ridley, 2
    1st and 10: Brady to Lloyd, 13
    1st and 10: Ridley, 6, fumble. Raven recovery. Pollard hit him in the head, no flag. I hate Pollard with a passion. Can the Ravens cut him, please? Or trade him to the Lakers or something. I think the fumble should be overturned on review as well. But, even with his whole leg down, the fumble is not overturned. It's inexcusible. We now may have had *both* Conference Championship Games decided by the refs in the 4th quarter.

Ravens D9: Start at the Pats 47

1st and 10: Flacco to Smith, 17
    1st and 10: Flacco, 14
    1st and 10: Flacco to Jones, 6
    2nd and 4: Flacco to Q, 8, TD. 28-13 Ravens. Game over, thank you Bill Leavy.

Pats D10: Start at the 29

1st and 10: Brady to Lloyd, 12
    1st and 10: Brady to Vereen, 9
    2nd and 1: Brady to Lloyd, incomplete. Ridley out for the game
    3rd and 1: Vereen, 8
    1st and 10: Brady to Welker, screen, 5
    2nd and 5: Brady to Vereen, 13
    1st and 10: Brady to Branch, 6
    2nd and 4: Brady to Vereen, dropped
    3rd and 4: Brady to Welker, incomplete
    4th and 4: Brady to Branch, incomplete

Ravens D10: Start at the 19

1st and 10: Flacco sacked by Ninkovitch, -1
    2nd and 11: Flacco hit by Spikes, throw incomplete
    3rd and 11: Flacco to Q, incomplete.
    4th and 11: Punt

Pats D11: Start at the 40

1st and 10: Brady to Welker, 37
    1st and 10: Ball tipped, picked by Ellerbee.

Ravens D11: Start at the 18

1st and 10: Rice, 0
    2nd and 10: Rice, 9
    3rd and 1: Rice, 2
    1st and 10: Pierce, 5
    2nd and 5: Leach, 4
    3rd and 1: Leach, 5
    1st and 10: Rice, -1. Timeout 1, Pats.
    2nd and 11: Rice, 3. Timeout 2, Pats.
    3rd and 8: Rice, 1. Timeout 3, Pats
    4th and 7: Punt

Pats D12: Start at the 33

1st and 10: Brady to Branch, 10
    1st and 10: Brady to Woodhead, incomplete
    2nd and 10: Brady to Welker, 11
    1st and 10: Spike
    2nd and 10: Brady to Woodhead, 12
    1st and 10: Brady incomplete. Should have been grounding
    2nd and 10: Brady pass tipped, incomplete.
    3rd and 10: Brady to Hernandez, 12
    1st and 10: Spike
    2nd and 10: Brady picked by Williams in the endzone

Ravens run the clock out.

We end the game 7 of 15 on 3rd, and 1 of 2 on 4th.
    Ravens end the game 5 of 12 on 3rd.

Both team played badly offensively. The score is deceptive. It was closer then it looked, but it was over when Ridley 'fumbled'. I don't think either team really outplayed the other one, but I want to congratulate the Ravens.

And they better close the deal.

And I hate Pollard.

And I hate the 2 picks, because the media will ignore Bill Leavy. I, however, will not.

Both Confrence Championship Games were decided, in large part, by poor officiating. This *should* be the lead story. It will not be, and that is not a good thing. We need to fix playoff officiating.

In Atlanta, there was a clear hold on 4th and 4 at the very end of the game. It was an easy call, and yet no flag. Now, Matt Ryan was hurt and the Falcons may not have scored anyway, but a clear penalty has to be called. Otherwise, the integrity of the game suffers.

In Foxborough, not only was Pollard not called for a cheap shot (and, yes, that is my Bernard Pollard hate speaking. Logically, I think Kaba was correct, that no flag should have been thrown, but he has cost us 3 seasons, and that leads to anger), but, Ridley did not fumble! As the replay clearly showed, *both* of his legs were fully on the ground, he was doing a split!, before the ball came out. That call ended the game. It was over, even if the Ravens just went, knee, knee, knee, punt.

We cannot have *playoff* games being decided by poor officiating. We need a director of officials that will fire refs for continued errors - I think we are heading in that way with the taxi squad that will be formed, but this still should be a story. And it won't be.

And as a fan, that makes me sad. I don't mind losing to the Ravens, this year at least. I did mind hearing that stupid wordless Ravens 'chant' though. Seriously, Ravens fans, you're people. Cheer right, or use words. It's really not hard, even Jets fans can do it! I do mind knowing that a chance to fix something (the terrible way we assign refs to the most important games), will be passed by. Again.

Good luck Ravens. Seal the deal.
    "Amy is happily drinking the tears of Broncos fans." Giantsfan97.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post

In Foxborough, not only was Pollard not called for a cheap shot (and, yes, that is my Bernard Pollard hate speaking. Logically, I think Kaba was correct, that no flag should have been thrown, but he has cost us 3 seasons, and that leads to anger), but, Ridley did not fumble! As the replay clearly showed, *both* of his legs were fully on the ground, he was doing a split!, before the ball came out. That call ended the game. It was over, even if the Ravens just went, knee, knee, knee, punt.

We cannot have *playoff* games being decided by poor officiating. We need a director of officials that will fire refs for continued errors - I think we are heading in that way with the taxi squad that will be formed, but this still should be a story. And it won't be.

And as a fan, that makes me sad. I don't mind losing to the Ravens, this year at least. I did mind hearing that stupid wordless Ravens 'chant' though. Seriously, Ravens fans, you're people. Cheer right, or use words. It's really not hard, even Jets fans can do it! I do mind knowing that a chance to fix something (the terrible way we assign refs to the most important games), will be passed by. Again.

Good luck Ravens. Seal the deal.
    I disagree with you on both accounts.

I don't think the hit was a cheap shot. If you look at some of the replays, it looks like Ridley is actually hitting Pollard with his helmet. There was nothing cheap about it.

With regards to the fumble, the ball was coming out after the hit. And the instant replay confirmed the ruling on the field.

Just because you didn't like the outcome of that play doesn't mean that you were screwed by bad officiating on that play.

Blog Entries
    It should have been called helmet to helmet. If that is the rule, you have to call it whether Ridley lowers his helmet or not. Be consistent with the call.

Quote Originally Posted by tubbs1518 View Post
    It should have been called helmet to helmet. If that is the rule, you have to call it whether Ridley lowers his helmet or not. Be consistent with the call.
    They never call helmets on a running back play. That's a non-factor. (Plus, Ridley dropped his head, so who initiated it?)

I don't think officiating decided either game. The better team won both times. Heck, Brady kicked a guy when he took his slide, I think in the 3rd. No flag. And that stuff evens out. Personally, I have no idea what a good hit is in the secondary. Both those defenseless calls against Baltimore bugged me. Also, I agree with the fumble call, but I see Amy's point.

Baltimore held NE to 13 at home. Gotta say they earned it, no other conclusion possible.

But good grief is NE a great organization. Seemingly every year they're there fighting for a SB spot. Seems like every year the AFC champ is either them, or has to go through them. I wish Belichick were a bit more personable, it would make NE's dominance easier to take! Full credit to this amazing outfit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    They never call helmets on a running back play. That's a non-factor. (Plus, Ridley dropped his head, so who initiated it?)

I don't think officiating decided either game. The better team won both times. Heck, Brady kicked a guy when he took his slide, I think in the 3rd. No flag. And that stuff evens out. Personally, I have no idea what a good hit is in the secondary. Both those defenseless calls against Baltimore bugged me. Also, I agree with the fumble call, but I see Amy's point.

Baltimore held NE to 13 at home. Gotta say they earned it, no other conclusion possible.

But good grief is NE a great organization. Seemingly every year they're there fighting for a SB spot. Seems like every year the AFC champ is either them, or has to go through them. I wish Belichick were a bit more personable, it would make NE's dominance easier to take! Full credit to this amazing outfit.
    This I'll agree with. As for who initiated it, that doesn't matter. You see it every week with WR's and QB's.

Blog Entries
    Brady seemed to be not hitting anything much past 7 yards. Flacco had shorter scoring drives but had some 20 yard plays mixed in to score.

This is sort of like Peyton had in Denver. There had to be a lot of shorter successful plays to pile up first downs and pts.

Waay too many successful plays required to make 7 pts. Flacco had more longer passes. But both teams flailed a bit.

The fumble was very close, I have Tivo and watched it frame by frame. The butt is the first body part to get the runner down. I think the ball started to come out a couple of frames before the butt touched the ground.

Waay too many plays to get 1 TD.

Is this the fundamental issue of BB not wanting fast receivers, or was it just that two good receivers were out?

Aqib injury really allowed Flacco to go a bit deeper with success.

This I'll agree with. As for who initiated it, that doesn't matter. You see it every week with WR's and QB's.
    Wait, so you are saying that if the offensive player initiates the head-to-head contact the penalty should be on the defensive player? That's what is infuriating defensive players. Even when they try to follow the rule, offensive players are finding ways to initiate the contact and they are getting blamed.

There is no penalty for helmet to helmet with an established runner. Qb, wr, or rb. If he's established as a runner, like what happened here, it is what it is...

Needling about the officials isn't why the pats lost. Their offense disappeared in the second half and proceeded to cough the ball up 3 times. They lost all on their own, refs had nothing to do with it. It's not like the game was within 3 scores. The pats just got their asses whipped. Thank Tom terrific for the 2 picks.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.