Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uniform Changes in Cleveland

Blog Entries

Uniform Changes in Cleveland

New owner Jimmy Haslam recently said that the Browns had petitioned the NFL to look into updating their uniforms. Apparently, it's a two-year process, so while the look will be the same next year, look out for something new in 2014. Haslam has indicated that the plain, orange helmet is staying, but just how new everything else is, though, is anybody's guess. (We had a much more limited thread on this subject over in the Browns forum some time back. This content is considerably expanded, there is no poll, and since the previous one was speculative--and this train is apparently leaving the station now--I think it merits a new thread. And one in the NFL forum, which people obviously pay more attention to. That, and we're going beat Super Bowl XLVII and its storylines to death pretty soon if we don't pace ourselves.)

Since we aren't playing any more football games and presumably because it's cheap, interactive internet content, the Plain Dealer has decided to let fans put forward designs for new uniforms for the team. There are three full pages of designs here and here and here.

Now, I'm as much a traditionalist as anyone else when it comes to the Browns' uniforms. I hope the changes aren't radical and I hope the team retains much of its current look. I also understand, though, that this guy just paid a billion dollars for something and re-branding a little might help his investment. So, I'm willing to play along. Not that I get a vote, but really, all I want is to avoid vertical stripes/flares. They usually look hideous, they always make linemen look like Jabba the Hut, and I don't even want to know what they would look like with brown and orange.

All that said, I have a couple favorites from the group.

For instance, I actually really like this checkerboard design (below). It's simple and different, but not very modern. It in fact feels even more old school than what we currently have. I also like the updated Brownie elf, as well, as a primary logo. I was expecting to like something with more orange, but this is my favorite of the fan designs.

I also don't hate these. It's a little different, incorporating a bit more orange, but it's still true to the team's long-term concept. Not bad.

And here's the most traditional of all. Slightly longer sleeves, reminiscent of the uniforms of the '60s and '70s.

Anyway, there's a lot of range. Some of the designs look reasonably professional and sophisticated (and their concepts aren't half bad, either). A lot of them aren't so great, in terms of production quality or concept. Either way, pick out your favorites and pick out your goats. We have a week until Super Bowl media day, anyway.
    Last edited by mkocs6; 01-22-2013 at 02:04 PM.
    @kocsan

I like the last one. I think that's the most reasonable one as well. They have to stay true while modernizing them a bit.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Blog Entries
    I don't like the last one. The first is my favorite out of those 3.

I like group 1 and 3. Group 2 feels too much like Bowling Green University.

Love the brown with orange letters.

Lamest ones on the Plain Dealer site were the ones with the "B" on the helmets and the greay ones. Those are almost Bengal ugly.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Gapinski View Post
    They remind me of the mid 90s San Fran uniforms where they shadowed the numbers to give it a 3D look.

Quote Originally Posted by tubbs1518 View Post
    I don't like the last one. The first is my favorite out of those 3.
    That one is nice too. I think the middle one is the worst of the 3.

Was told this while touring BGSU w/ our daughter last fall, I may not have the facts exactly right but the basic concept is what we were told.
    Under Paul Brown Cleveland held summer camps at BGSU. As a way of showing thanks PB adopted BG's football colors for his pro team. After getting fired by Modell PB considered the colors his which is why early Bengal uniforms so closely resembled Cleveland's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Gapinski View Post

Why do they need to change? I like them how they are. If I had to choose I'd say group 1.

Quote Originally Posted by ebfz58 View Post
    Why do they need to change? I like them how they are. If I had to choose I'd say group 1.
    Garner interest in the team and modernize the unis