Thread: Football coaches: the men least likely to enjoy life

Football coaches: the men least likely to enjoy life

The really, really good football coaches are not happy people. Their profession demands perfection, discipline and relentless attention to detail.

Apparently, it's impossible to be all that and also be happy. Even winning is a problem, because you never play the perfect game and because players become overconfident.

I've been thinking about this since Alabama won their title. Nick Saban is a dour, restrained, focused man. He doesn't smile a lot. Then I thought about Bill Belichick. He's not too different. And Jim Harbaugh. And Vince Lombardi.

And now Bill Walsh.

There's an excellent story on ESPN's site about how Walsh's book has become a coach's bible. But the real story is what a miserable, obsessed perfectionist Bill Walsh was. He quit for the same reason Lombardi did: it was eating him up. He didn't even enjoy Super Bowl wins.

Football rewards grinder coaches. But it seems to me that a lot of what is being ground up is the football coach himself.

ps This makes me appreciate Rex Ryan even more. He may or may not win a Super Bowl, but at least there's more to his life than the gridiron.

It's obvious these guys have extremely high stress levels. It's not a very fun job at all, just one that pays very well.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

I saw that same article about Walsh, Packa, and it sure does reinforce how stressful and joyless the game can be for both the players and coaches. Still, if Walsh had to be a "miserable and obsessed perfectionist," I wish he had been miserable as the head coach of the Bengals for all those years

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    I saw that same article about Walsh, Packa, and it sure does reinforce how stressful and joyless the game can be for both the players and coaches. Still, if Walsh had to be a "miserable and obsessed perfectionist," I wish he had been miserable as the head coach of the Bengals for all those years
    Hahahaha yeah, I think most teams would take a miserable Walsh
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010