Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Lazy Sundays

Article: Lazy Sundays

As a writer, I'm like the last girl at the bar. In the morning, you may regret asking for my services, but I'll get the job done. As long as I don't puke on your floor.

Twitter: @PolishedSports

See ya, Jeff!

Very few centers ever get noticed. To his credit, Saturday has managed to rise above the anonymity which is the fate of his brethren.

I seem to remember that at one point with the Colts he threatened to retire. That caused quite a panic, IIRC, and brought his name to prominence. I wonder how much that incident has to do with his current high profile?

Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    Very few centers ever get noticed. To his credit, Saturday has managed to rise above the anonymity which is the fate of his brethren.

I seem to remember that at one point with the Colts he threatened to retire. That caused quite a panic, IIRC, and brought his name to prominence. I wonder how much that incident has to do with his current high profile?
    That incident (and I don't remember exactly when that was) probably did raise his profile, but I think this Classic Colts Moment also has a bit to do with it:

Jeff Saturday was allowed to snap the ball one more time to Peyton Manning last night.

Is that more reason to have the Pro Bowl or more reason to not have it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Gapinski View Post
    Jeff Saturday was allowed to snap the ball one more time to Peyton Manning last night.

I thought it was awesome. Other than the fact Saturday didn't deserve to be there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Gapinski View Post

I'm surprised the NFL isn't going to fine him $5000 for snapping the ball to the wrong team.

Hey, I thought it was great. Why not? The pro bowl is the only venue where something like that can happen, and it was a cool touch.

I also have no problem that he was on the team. While the pro bowl, or any all-star game, should mostly be used to reward players for a good current season, I also think there's room for a lifetime achievement position. Perhaps each of the all-star games could utilize one honorary spot per team (or more for baseball/football due to expanded rosters) to honor some of the game's greats. If they wanted, they could even set up that spot similarly to how baseball now has a vote for the final player to be added.

I think the other sports may have done this in the past, although certainly not on a yearly basis. In baseball, guys like Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripkin Jr. were always voted in, even when they were no longer playing at an all-star level. But those are 2 examples of guys who should be featured in that game, no matter their performance.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

people shouldn't take the Pro Bowl so seriously. I'd love to see more stuff like JJ Watt at WR. I've said it a few times now that they should make a point to do stuff like that. DB's as WR's, WR's as DB's, etc...

Though I will admit I cringed when I saw AJ Green as a gunner on punt coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    people shouldn't take the Pro Bowl so seriously. I'd love to see more stuff like JJ Watt at WR. I've said it a few times now that they should make a point to do stuff like that. DB's as WR's, WR's as DB's, etc...
    I guess I should have recorded it. Watt played WR?

Quote Originally Posted by edave View Post
    I guess I should have recorded it. Watt played WR?
    And may have mangled his finger doing it. Made for interesting interview.