Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Sandy Hook students to Sing at the SuperBowl

  1. #1
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    5,545
    Blog Entries
    11

    Sandy Hook students to Sing at the SuperBowl

    Twenty-six students from Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, where a gunman killed 20 children and six staff members on December 14, will sing “America the Beautiful” before the Super Bowl.

    The NFL confirmed to USA Today that the students will sing at the Superdome before Alicia Keys performs the national anthem.

    The local newspaper the News-Times reported that an anonymous donor would pay for the 26 members of the Sandy Hook Elementary choir to travel to New Orleans.
    In a related story, when questioned Mark Emmert stated that the NCAA will be investigating if that donation is in violation of NCAA rules.

  2. #2
    What a nice thing. Better than the Black Eyed Peas.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

    1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

  3. #3
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    5,608
    How maudlin and exploitative.

    Just one man's opinion.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

  4. #4
       
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,544
    Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    How maudlin and exploitative.

    Just one man's opinion.
    I see what you're saying. On the other hand, despite the efforts some have made to paint Sandy Hook as a run-of-the-mill multiple murder of innocent children, it was actually a significant moment in our cultural history. In that light, I can see how it's appropriate to use the biggest television event of the year to honor the school and, by extension, the victims. It may be exploitative, but it can also be more than that too.

  5. #5
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    5,545
    Blog Entries
    11
    I can't tell if it was a significant event in our cultural history.

    More than Columbine? Less?

    It was near a Media Center, which amplifies the cultural aspect.

    Too me it's just gooey.

  6. #6
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    5,608
    Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post
    I can't tell if it was a significant event in our cultural history.

    More than Columbine? Less?

    It was near a Media Center, which amplifies the cultural aspect.

    Too me it's just gooey.
    Agree with this.


    And Wax - Always respect your opinions, but this event is not a significant moment in American History any more than the shootings at Virginia Tech and other massacres.

    It is yet another "nine day wonder" for the media to regurgitate until the next horrific event occurs. At that point all the prayers and emotions and camera crews will move on. I am afraid that nothing lasting will come from this brutal act other than a couple of clips that will be shown on the anniversary each year.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post
    I can't tell if it was a significant event in our cultural history.

    More than Columbine? Less?

    It was near a Media Center, which amplifies the cultural aspect.

    Too me it's just gooey.
    It's weird, Columbine was kind of like...two crazy kids you can kind of relate to up until their obsession with murdering and plotting to bomb things. Lanza...who the hell can look a kid in the face and shoot them? Idk, it kind of bugs me. I think to answer your question, it's Columbune because America actually understood it.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

    1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    Agree with this.


    And Wax - Always respect your opinions, but this event is not a significant moment in American History any more than the shootings at Virginia Tech and other massacres.

    It is yet another "nine day wonder" for the media to regurgitate until the next horrific event occurs. At that point all the prayers and emotions and camera crews will move on. I am afraid that nothing lasting will come from this brutal act other than a couple of clips that will be shown on the anniversary each year.
    +1...the media only has sympathy when it needs ratings...it reminds me of an episode of the Simpsons where Bart and Lisa become kids news anchors and Lisa's professionalism is dwarfed by Bart's exploitative "Bart's People" pieces.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

    1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

  9. #9
       
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    It is yet another "nine day wonder" for the media to regurgitate until the next horrific event occurs. At that point all the prayers and emotions and camera crews will move on. I am afraid that nothing lasting will come from this brutal act other than a couple of clips that will be shown on the anniversary each year.
    Or... not even that.

    I thought the Texas tower shootings were a big deal, but I was a kid. They don't come up any more.

    I know the San Ysidro McDonalds shootings were a big deal, but living very close by at the time colored my perceptions. Again, they don't come up in shooting discussions because they've been replaced.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by edave View Post
    Or... not even that.

    I thought the Texas tower shootings were a big deal, but I was a kid. They don't come up any more.

    I know the San Ysidro McDonalds shootings were a big deal, but living very close by at the time colored my perceptions. Again, they don't come up in shooting discussions because they've been replaced.
    It's sad, but we'd be a depressed people if we spent every day commemorating mass shootings. There are enough to fill a year I bet.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

    1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •