Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So when does the "new" tv money EVER kick in?

So when does the "new" tv money EVER kick in?

So the NFL signed a new contract with the networks in 2011 to extend them through 2022, with the "supposed" New money to kick in during the 2014 season. Cap relief many teams have been expecting, as they've redone contracts and pushed their "dead money" forward. The cap has literally remained the same for 3 years now. For 2013 its going to be 121.1 mil, a measly $500k increase.

Today the ravens president said they expect the cap to remain flat through next year too, increasing to around $122 mil. Wait, what??? Where is the players cut of the extra 1.1 billion per year the new tv gave the NFL? Did the networks backload the deal?

Even better question is what did the league tell the players when they signed the new cba, with all the givebacks they made? I can't believe they told them the cap would remain flat for 4 years. That's longer than the average career of an NFL player.

I'll say this, every team that has an established top tier paid qb is in cap hell right now (Broncos may not be, I believe they rolled forward a good bit from 2011 to absorb the new pm contract, IIRC). The ravens are about to join this group. Seems with that said,.even the owners didn't expect the cap to be flat this long...

I couldn't find a copy of the tv rights deal, has anyone else seen it anywhere? I've only read the $3 bil per year figure starting in 2014. If that's the case how does the league's income from tv increase over 50% but the cap increases less than 10%?? Any ideas?
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Blog Entries
    *Flashes the Darvon signal*

I will say though that a couple of other teams with highly paid franchise QBs have some money to spend in 2013, besides Denver. New England is projected to have approximately $19M in cap space I believe. Houston and Chicago are supposed to be somewhere around $13M. Even after paying Flacco, depending on what kind of contract he ends up with, Baltimore should still have a modest amount of cap room.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

I wanna say 2014, but don't have anything citation for that.

Blog Entries

We did this all before.

I'll look up the numbers and post again.
    This is what happened when the players lost all leverage.

Blog Entries
    OK. I give up. How do we find the 1,295 page thread we had on the CBA?

I can't find it via search.

It has all the answers (IIRC)

Can someone find it and post a linkee here?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post
    OK. I give up. How do we find the 1,295 page thread we had on the CBA?

I can't find it via search.

It has all the answers (IIRC)

Can someone find it and post a linkee here?
    http://footballpros.com/showthread.p...ning+agreement
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Blog Entries
    Thanks, but I must have put the new CBA analysis in another thread. So I went searching.

Here is an article from the Professor.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/77...ary-cap-growth

In 2011, Dee borrowed $3M per team from future benefits. In 2012, he borrowed $7M. So even if the real cap goes up past 121M, they will be paying off their borrowing for 3 ish years.

Amazingly the first 6 years of the new CBA might be at a smaller cap than 2009 $123M. Maybe longer.

That's what happens when you have no leverage.

The new TV numbers seem to rise revenue at 7% per year.

Blog Entries
    Also the percentage of revenue equals salary cap PLUS benefits in the new CBA, so there are big benefit rising costs in 14 and 15.

I wonder how pissed the players are going to be with a 10 year flat cap?

Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post
    Thanks, but I must have put the new CBA analysis in another thread. So I went searching.

Here is an article from the Professor.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/77...ary-cap-growth

In 2011, Dee borrowed $3M per team from future benefits. In 2012, he borrowed $7M. So even if the real cap goes up past 121M, they will be paying off their borrowing for 3 ish years.
    I think that's a little off...

They borrowed about $5M per team based on my notes (I don't have the original sources and could have just written it down incorrectly).

I'm also fairly sure that last years borrowing was less than reported because of the penalties against the Redskins and Cowboys, which pumped in nearly $5M per team.

I'm guessing they're about 260 million in the hole on benefits going into this season.

Blog Entries