Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Draft Discussion

2013 Draft Discussion

Kaba, et al, curious to see how you guys are ranking certain positions.

Here's what I'm seeing for the safeties (and admittedly, this is slightly influenced by the type of safety the Bengals IMO need):

1a. Kenny Vacarro - IMO far and away the best coverage safety in the draft. Almost like having an extra corner on the field. Texas also moved him around a lot almost like a Troy Polamalu.

1b. Matt Elam - a guy that's really grown on me. A big hitter, but like Vacarro can also line up in the slot in man coverage and get the job done. I've heard comparisons to Brian Dawkins.

To me, the clear cut top 2 safeties. These next 3, could probably be interchangeable depending on what a specific team is looking for.

2a. DJ Swearinger - love the swagger he plays with, though needs to keep it in check. A former corner who can also line up in the slot on WR's though not as successfully as Vacarro and Elam. Can also lay the wood.

2b. Tony Jefferson - very good in run support and decent in pass coverage. Has the size you want in today's safeties.

2c. Eric Reid - I'm certain some will have him higher, and a year ago he was my favorite safety. Doesn't quite show up as much on tape this year though and LSU seems to have been using him more as a centerfield safety than an in-the-box/slot safety. Could be as high as 3 depending on the team needs.

The Best of the Rest:

3. Bacarri Rambo - a solid centerfield FS. Would be higher in a lesser class.

4. TJ Mcdonald - another centerfield type safety. Solid in run support, but not a guy who can line up in man coverage.

5. Johnathan Cyprien - he seems to be the media darling lately. I don't see it. He doesn't do anything bad, but he doesn't blow you away on tape either, and was facing FBS talent.
    Last edited by Bengals1181; 02-09-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Blog Entries
    Depends on who you ask. One of the writers for PFF tweeted his safety rankings yesterday and had Vacarro, Cyprien, and a converted David Amerson as his top 3. Elam was around 7th. Ried was a little past that.
    Twitter @vancemeek "I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory...lasts forever."-Shane Falco

Quote Originally Posted by vancemeek View Post
    Depends on who you ask. One of the writers for PFF tweeted his safety rankings yesterday and had Vacarro, Cyprien, and a converted David Amerson as his top 3. Elam was around 7th. Ried was a little past that.
    PFF has interesting stats, but they have very weird metrics for evaluating the worth of a player.

Blog Entries
    Agreed, so I don't take it as the gospel. I have seen a lot of the "draft experts" and scouting guys on Twitter who are putting Cyprien into the late 1st-early 2nd round. Vacarro is pretty well universally the #1 safety.
    Twitter @vancemeek "I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory...lasts forever."-Shane Falco

Quote Originally Posted by vancemeek View Post
    Agreed, so I don't take it as the gospel. I have seen a lot of the "draft experts" and scouting guys on Twitter who are putting Cyprien into the late 1st-early 2nd round. Vacarro is pretty well universally the #1 safety.
    Yea I may be very wrong on Cyprien, but he just doesn't wow me.

Blog Entries
    Don't sleep on Phillip Thomas out of Fresno State. He's strong in coverage and a suitable run defender as well. He's very heady and always seems to be around the ball, where he then has the skills to make the interception and do some damage returning it as well. I have him slotted as a late second-round guy right now, and probably my #5 safety overall behind Vaccaro, Reid, Elam, and Cyprien.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

yea I've watched Thomas. He misses A LOT of tackles. He's got the talent to play in the NFL, but I don't think he'll give you the results you need.

Blog Entries
    I want a pass coverage S, not an in the box S. We already have an in the box S in Nelson. Give me either Cyprien, Thomas or Rambo.

Sounds like you need Harrison Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by tubbs1518 View Post
    I want a pass coverage S, not an in the box S. We already have an in the box S in Nelson. Give me either Cyprien, Thomas or Rambo.

Nelson is a center fielder like Rambo. He does a good job of flying up to the line, but he doesn't play in the box.

Ideally they need a vacarro Elam swearinger or Reid. A guy who can line up in the slot and play man coverage.