Thread: Widen the field to reduce head injuries?

Widen the field to reduce head injuries?

The NFL has apparently giving at least a smidgen of serious consideration to the idea of widening the field -- possibly to a CLF width -- in order to reduce congestion over the middle and lessen the number of violent, concussion-causing collisions.

If they ever did so, it sounds like it would profoundly change the game.

I'm going to guess that most folks are not agnostic on this idea. People who are by nature fearful of change will reject it. People with a more progressive mindset might welcome it.

If it helps players, that's a good thing. But we might end up with some comical NBA-style scores. A wider field would essentially be the start of a new era in terms of statistics.

I think it's a bad idea. The worst injuries don't occur to guys in the open field, they occur in the trenches or on kick returns which won't change despite the width of the field. All 3 of my concussions in football occurred while playing either tackle or center. Most concussions to running backs, linebackers, linemen, QBs, and safeties also occurred in the trenches. This really would only help WRs and DBs slightly. I'm all for helping the players, but I don't know if this helps.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Blog Entries
    I think it would actually help quite a bit, especially with returns, and the passing game. I could also see it help somewhat with the running game because of the added spacing of players on the field

Quote Originally Posted by tubbs1518 View Post
    I think it would actually help quite a bit, especially with returns, and the passing game. I could also see it help somewhat with the running game because of the added spacing of players on the field
    Does the NFL want to become the AFL though? It's really going to be ineffective in preventing head injuries. That's the point, isnt it?

The biggest issue with concussions isn't the field size, it's players not reporting the injuries. The NFL is doing enough to protect itself from future lawsuits by just simply informing players of the inherent risks of concussions and making some reasonable advances toward safety like having independent neurologists on the sidelines turns vicarious liability for the league into assumption of risk by the player. It's on the players to step up now.

It was a stupid idea the first time it was brought up and the competition committee discussed it, totally dismissing it. Even dumber an idea a couple years later. The committee won't even discuss it now.

It's not happening, perhaps ever. It shouldn't, EVER. why destroy the fabric of the game? The receivers have already been afforded plenty of defenseless protection. Spreading the field doesn't change any of the other likely concussion prone scenarios.

More kickoffs than ever end in touchbacks. Spreading the field does zero there, except increase the scoring chances.. concussions happen at the convergence point. One rules have changed in recent years, more space won't lessen convergence point concussions. They happen at the point of INITIAL contact, which won't change. It just opens up running lanes for big returns.

Most concussions are to defenders who will never admit it, lineman who do the same, or qbs or Rbs. Almost all are within 10 yards of the los. Spreading the field changes this how?? Lines won't spread out bc the field does, and the hits to Rbs and qbs as a result won't change. Defensive guys still won't admit them..

How will making the field bigger cure this? Simple.. it won't, not even a little, and it would destroy one of the tenets of the game. It's why the competition committee dismissed it upon discussion the first time, and are quite simply dismissing even discussing it again. Ridiculous idea on its premise. Once actually playing football is introduced its ludicrous.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by packa7x View Post
    Does the NFL want to become the AFL though?
    There would be a lot of games with an over/under in the high 60's.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    There would be a lot of games with an over/under in the high 60's.
    No doubt, it'll turn into a gimmick.

Quote Originally Posted by packa7x View Post
    No doubt, it'll turn into a gimmick.
    That's why they'd have to start from scratch with player stats.

Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    That's why they'd have to start from scratch with player stats.
    Yeah, it'd be a new era in stats for sure. What I'm saying is why make the game a gimmick for little to no improvement?