Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Leinart Rule

Blog Entries

The Leinart Rule

Barkley
    Gino Smith

and for that matter....Johnny Football.

The Leinart Rule, coming out as SOON as you are a hot commodity, is once again being proven over and over.

They're also suggesting that guys who have a couple good years but aren't eligible to come out yet should sit a year.
    Part owner of the 13-time world champion Green Bay Packers

1929-1930-1931-1936-1939-1944-1961-1962-1965-1966-1967-1996-2010

Blog Entries
    I heard Bill Polian talking about how sitting out a year due to risk reasons would make him question a player come draft time.

And it probably would, since NFL execs want things all their way. But the flat draft salaries make it much less important whether you are drafted 1 or 11, so expect someone to do this soon. Especially since Agents can make loans against future income immediately to sophmores.

And Pollian talked about insurance, but insurance only covers if you never play in the NFL. BTW who pays for that coverage???

And if it ever happens, and the player gets grilled about it at the combine during interviews, I have the best answer.

"Excuse me Mr. Pollian, no disrespct intended, but isn't the NFL the league that had a lockout and stopped playing games for business reasons?"
    Last edited by darvon; 02-13-2013 at 09:00 AM.

Someone may do it soon, but these guys are athletes and competitors. You'll have a hard time convincing them to sit out.

Blog Entries
    Not if they need a $100k loan from their agent.

Unless, of course, most hot NCAA properties have another source for $100K....

Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post
    Barkley
    Gino Smith

and for that matter....Johnny Football.

The Leinart Rule, coming out as SOON as you are a hot commodity, is once again being proven over and over.
    So you are saying that Andrew Luck is going to underachieve since he didn't come out immediately?

At first glance, the idea of a college player sitting out a year seems, well, kind of sleazy.

BUT - think what guys like Jadavian Clowney are risking by returning to the field before they can cash in.

Willis McGahee ended up with a nice career and hopefully he's banked a few bucks. But what about Marcus Lattimore? I have a feeling that the NCAA will soon be facing this - top players leaving school to sit out a year. Can't wait to see it happen, and can't wait to hear the university's arguments when they start taking the players to court to force them to play.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

I think the thing saving most colleges from this is the fact that these guys LOVE playing. Sure I think it will happen eventually, but most guys won't feel right hanging the cleats up.

While there is an injury risk factor by playing instead of sitting out, there is also an experience factor if you sit out. You learn how to play the game for another year and improve your skills. And couldn't there be a rust issue for sitting out a year? Yes, you are training, but you aren't using your skills during the game.

So it seems to me, even if you eliminate the reason that guys love the competition, its still not cut and dry to sit out a year. So it seems to me that if someone were to do it, it would be an extraordinary case.

Blog Entries
    Yep, however we ALL have seen that:

1) Hot sophs/juniors do NOT rise with 1 more year of college play. They almost always drop. At best they stay put. So the additional experience usually doesn't outweigh the vagarities of another year's performance.

2) Injury risk.

3) Money NOW. This is the item that I don't hear talked about with Clowney. Sit out a year, and get money NOW. When will an agent offer a $1M loan NOW to sit out and train in AZ, given a 5 year agency contract. That aint chopped liver.