Thread: The Alex Smith era is (finally) over

The Alex Smith era is (finally) over

Today the trade of Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs was made official. In a strange twist, Andy Reid gave up a 2nd round pick for a system QB who is shaky in the pocket. If karma was real the 49ers would have received Brandon Carr in addition to the pick.

However, as much fun as it is to mock Reid this day is about Alex Smith. It's a time to celebrate his contribution to the 49ers over 8 long, painful years.

Personally, I'm headed to the backyard where I will roll right and toss the ball over the neighbor's fence.

Joe Montana, Steve Bono, Elvis Grbac, now Alex Smith. The Chiefs do love those 49ers castoffs.

You left out the original Alex Smith: Steve DeBerg.

I'm at peace with this scenario. I know that sounds weird at face value but allow me to explain.
    For all of the frustration that I've felt over his failures he always showed just enough to tease me into thinking that maybe...possibly...given the right situation and playmakers around him that he could blossom into something. I always gave him at least a little bit of an excuse for having so much volatility in the offensive coordinator position.
    More than anything I REALLY didn't want to see him leave and then go become capable somewhere else after the Niners had devoted not only the first overall pick but also so much time, money and losses towards him. If he had achieved success somewhere else while the Niners were still looking for their franchise QB...that would have been hard to swallow.
    With the emergence of the Kaeper...not so much. Good riddance Alex. Best of luck...except if you are ever playing against the Niners...then I hope Aldon Smith rips his spleen out.
    If the 49'ers success offends you...so be it.
    Namaste...*****es.