Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: The Tony Romo Question

There's lots of different kinds of "guaranteed" money. There's signing bonus $$, money guaranteed for skill. And $$ guaranteed only for injury. Until we see the complete contract details, we can't say anything in specific to what they're calling "guaranteed" for Romo.

Add in likely to be earned bonuses, not likely to be earned bonuses, roster bonuses, playing time bonuses, workout bonuses, etc... Lots of language to muddle through to get a solid figure.

That said, any bonus that's allowed to be prorated and spread out over the max 5 years the cba allows (basically any deferment of cap charges) accelerates immediately into that teams cap figure the second they cut or trade the player.

Money paid to said player that's paid to the cap in future years is considered unamortized. All unamortized monies count immediately to the cap against that teams cap in the event the player is cut or traded.

You can always push the pay back to the cap out, but at some point every single penny must be paid back vs the cap, and that pay back can't be pushed forward to another team.

Case in point.. mike Vick. The falcons wanted to cut him, but couldn't. Would have bankrupted them vs the cap. They had to wait for the suspension to void his contract, and take legal measures to recoup bonuses paid that weren't earned based on a morality clause in his contract.

Why is Jerry Jones hoping Romo grows a huge affinity for pitbulls circa 2016??

Technically the only actual "guaranteed" $$ on an NFL contract is the signing bonus. The other $$ that's added to the guaranteed $$ is the guarantees vs skill, health, and roster/workout bonuses during the early years of said contract. A time at which the signing bonus is already a huge albatross around the teams neck, forcing them to keep the player anyway, simply not to destroy their cap number.

Haynesworth didn't see all his "guaranteed" $$.. IIRC its the tippy top of why they got smashed with the cap violations, along with one time bonuses paid in the uncapped year to circumvent the cap in subsequent years.

Even when you THINK you can {legally} cheat the cap, you can't. The other 30 owners put Snyder and Jones on blast for doing so, and got the players association to cede, for the health of the entire 32.

Rule of thumb.. if you've already put the green in the players account, its getting paid back to the cap. Whether its a one time unamortized payment, or you get a 2 year "we tried to slip one under the radar, and hoped no one else would notice" payment plan, like the boys and skins did.

It's a league of parity. There's no loopholes. Get creative in accounting, but eventually the bill comes due to be paid in full. The cap is the cap. Now the floor is the floor. Quite interested to see how the perennial underspenders get to the floor.

Just my own opinion, but the floor is going to cause the opposite of parity. If these garbage teams had any clue how to scout and spend their money, they wouldn't be in the situation they're in. Eventually this rule is going to force a franchise to the brink of bankruptcy.

Case in point.. Miami just gave a one trick pony, who doesn't play to the qb or rosters skills, and a guy who's started 14 games his entire career $95 million. That's retarted.. thankfully Ross is a billionaire..

That said how long before Oakland files for bankruptcy?? Can they even get to 89% in cash spending with all that dead money?? If they can cap wise, do they have the financial wherewithal to make payroll with their income?? Are they the next team that gets taken over by the league, like the original Dallas Texans (last NFL to go belly up)??

Sorry for the slightly off topic rant, and rich, you're welcome for a beautiful follow up to your front page article about the raiders..

Can they even make it work given the dead money, the floor and ceiling, and what their actual profit is. Remember, mark Davis isn't a billionaire and inheritance tax is a b!! It's why kronke is an owner, frontiers kids couldn't foot the tax bill..

Quote Originally Posted by mikesteelnation1 View Post
    That said how long before Oakland files for bankruptcy?? Can they even get to 89% in cash spending with all that dead money?? If they can cap wise, do they have the financial wherewithal to make payroll with their income?? Are they the next team that gets taken over by the league, like the original Dallas Texans (last NFL to go belly up)??
    That's a wonderful question, I'll have to dig around to see what I can learn. My guess is that the charges against the cap, regardless of when it was spent, are spending for that league year but I've never seen it spelled out and the CBA is not exactly illuminating (I'm getting too familiar with that thing).

Really, the fight I'm looking forward to is the one we'll never see.

Who cares about an 89% yearly floor when the league has to average 95% or fines start happening (the league owes monies to the NFLPA to make the average per team, per year equal 95%). That's the Jerry rule and if your team isn't averaging 95% cash against cap, he's going to have your sack in a vice because that's money out of his pocket.

The details make it a bit clearer and my example was simple, but in short, the Cowboys are suck (on purpose this time) with Romo. Mike and Dave, you are right about the signing bonus rules.

The deal is a bet that the new TV deals will kick up the cap by the end. They should, but no GM should be happy about this type of market being set for quarterbacks who have one playoff win.
    Last edited by Rich Gapinski; 03-30-2013 at 06:14 AM.

I have no idea what Romo is worth, but I do know he takes a lot of unfair criticism and is far from being one of the problems holding Dallas back.

Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    Jerry Jones really should fire himself.
    Jerrah has entered Al Davis territory. Only Death can fire him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    I have no idea what Romo is worth, but I do know he takes a lot of unfair criticism and is far from being one of the problems holding Dallas back.
    True the Cowboys have other issues, but Romo has had a decade to prove his worth. And it isn't anywhere near what he is getting paid.

He is the reverse-Eli... a better fantasy QB than a real life one.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Quote Originally Posted by msclemons View Post

Jerrah may be past al Davis territory. He's got enough money to buy his way out of death.

Davis was a mere pauper compared to most owners.. however as last reported from the after life, Davis fired up his infamous overhead projector and made a pitch using lots of slides as to why he should be given an "extension".
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by msclemons View Post

There is only one immutable law in life - in a gentleman's toilet, incoming traffic has the right of way.
    -Hugh Leonard