Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Ryan Matthews the answer?

Is Ryan Matthews the answer?

Can the Chargers get the job done this year? As a lifelong fan from the 70's, am I looking at another dissapointing postseason or are all of the pieces in place to finally make that run to the sb? It seemed while Tomlinson was in his prime our passing game was never quite good enough and when Rivers came into his own Tomlinson was done. It's easy to say that lack of a running game killed the Chargers last year against the Jets. Can Matthews come right in make the difference or is a Norv-run team always going to come up short?

He better be a difference maker. They moved way up and gave up too much to get him.

I haven't seen him play, only watched his highlights (and everyone looks good in highlights), but there's one thing that really stands out to me. His long runs all started between the tackles. So many college backs just rely on their speed and immediately break to the outside. With the speed of NFL defenders that just doesn't work. Matthews runs very well in traffic. He has good speed and sees the field well. He doesn't seem to break a lot of tackles, but also doesn't take big hits.

I haven't seen much of him, but I really like what I've seen.

3. There's no doubt in my mind that he is the answer for the problems the Chargers had running the ball. LT simply couldn't break tackles the last 2 years. One hit and he was down as well. Young legs in the backfield is always a good thing.
    However, I don't think offense is going to be the issue with this team(with or without Vinny Jacks). Once again it's a question of how wwell their defense plays and can they get some pressure on the qb and get some turnovers. The past 2 years that just hasn't been there. With Merriman finaly fully healthy( we hope) and him playing for a big contract, this may finally be the year that the Chargers are balanced on both sides of the ball.
    Of course I've been an optimistic fan for 30 years now and even had hope with Tolliver, Friesz, Leaf starting...ugh.

Ryan Mathews gets to play 2 games each against the Raiders and Chiefs. Just those 4 games should get him close to 700 yards. Toss in two more games against a suspect Broncos defense and he's a definite fantasy starter.

Against actual NFL defenses? I'm not sure... he seems to run a bit too upright and doesn't have a lot of wiggle. I'm not sure he can be a difference maker against the stronger teams on the schedule.

I think that the best possible way for Ryan Mathews to be a difference maker for the Chargers would be by extending drives and help getting the defense some rest, while making the chargers multidimensional on offense. The quick-fire scoring that the chargers offense is known for makes them incredibly exciting to watch, but the pace at which they score prevents the charger defense from getting rest, and they are usually worn out by the fourth quarter. By sustaining longer drives, the chargers can help their defense get rested while wearing down the opponent. The jets won because the defense was too gassed to stop Shonn Green. LT averaged about a yard and a half per touch and was essentially a burden on the offense, without a running game to extend plays the defense got exhausted too early. In the first half the chargers held the running game in check. The fatigue, combined with Kaeding's jittery leg and lack of a true nose tackle helped seal the Jets victory.

I've read some things about Matthews that say the coaches are pleased with what they've seen so far. They say he runs with a great pad level and keeps himself low enough not to take any nasty hits. That was a big question with Adrian Peterson coming in, was that he runs upright and can leave himself open to get pummeled, but that hasn't happened much so far. Matthews looks great in highlights (as Andy said, everyone does) and I am eager to see him on the field live. I haven't ever seen him play.

I watch very little college football so I have no insight on Matthews' play, but Andy is spot on. For the price the Chargers paid this kid has to produce right away. AJ has not drafted an impact player in the first round for a few years now, hopefully he pulled the trigger on the right guy this time around.
    Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or ****** beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Quote Originally Posted by Resdog154 View Post
    I watch very little college football so I have no insight on Matthews' play, but Andy is spot on. For the price the Chargers paid this kid has to produce right away. AJ has not drafted an impact player in the first round for a few years now, hopefully he pulled the trigger on the right guy this time around.
    I have been a football fan since 2002 and the chargers have been my favorite team through out this period. In the past years AJ Smith has done a fantastic job of gathering talent and elevating the team to their current status as perennial contenders. He has usually done a great job by building the team through the draft. He has hit on picks far more often than he has missed. I believe that there is definitely a reason why he traded the second round pick to move up and acquire Mathews. With all the good reviews from the coaching staff i believe that the gamble to trade up has paid off. The chargers drafted based on need and hit almost every target. Got a safety, got an inside lb, got Cam Thomas (projected 2-3 rd pick). This being the first time in a while that the chargers have had as many needs to be filled, he went after certain key positions aggressively and i believe that it will payoff. I've seen some highlight clips of Ryan Mathews on youtube, he seems to have good breakaway speed and runs like a truck through the middle, he also has a great stiff arm. If you can, try to watch the Ryan Mathews sportscience clip on espn video at the website. It backs up his physical ability, but we wont know much until preseason. Mathews could be the ideal back for Norv's system.
    Last edited by ElShay; 07-16-2010 at 03:58 AM.

ElShay, If you notice in my post I specifically mentioned First Round Impact players. While overall AJ has found hidden gems in mid-late rounds, the past three drafts have definitely not yielded a player who has made a difference. English, Cason, and Davis may eventually be vital parts of the team (really concerned about Davis), but impact players they were not. I like AJ and usually agree with his philosophy of running the team, but he is not perfect. I think Matthews was the right pick, just not sure they needed to move up as high as they did to grab him.
    Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or ****** beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Thanks for the input, guys. I've been on vacation for the last week, now it's time to start seriously preparing for the fantasy season.