Thread: NCAA Will Not Renew Contract with EA

NCAA Will Not Renew Contract with EA

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...ports+contract

I find this to be very interesting. Full thoughts as thread develops, but I'm guessing a few now:

1. NCAA not happy that O'Bannon has gone so far.
    2. NCAA needs to punish EA
    3. IF NCAA signs with someone else, #'s and images of players may be generic; or no deal.
    4. Cheaper game in future?
    5. Has NCAA been tipped that the judge will certify class in the suit? It has been since June 20 for news.
    Last edited by Rich Gapinski; 07-17-2013 at 02:37 PM.
    As a writer, I'm like the last girl at the bar. In the morning, you may regret asking for my services, but I'll get the job done. As long as I don't puke on your floor.

Twitter: @PolishedSports

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Gapinski View Post
    http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...ports+contract

I find this to be very interesting. Full thoughts as thread develops, but I'm guessing a few now:

1. NCAA not happy that O'Bannon has gone so far.
    2. NCAA needs to punish EA
    3. IF NCAA signs with someone else, #'s and images of players may be generic; or no deal.
    4. Cheaper game in future?
    5. Has NCAA been tipped that the judge will certify class in the suit? It has been since June 20 for news.
    Oh please if there is a God in heaven let this be the precursor to the return of 2K Football.
    "Biggest blowout since Andy Reid vs. Skinny jeans" - Colts01

It sounds like the NCAA is getting out of the video game licensing business. They can't stand the heat. To me, it's also an admission that they're on the wrong side of the O'Bannon lawsuit.

I guess if anyone wants to make a college football video game, they'll have to negotiate with individual schools to use their trademarks. I don't see how they can mimic current college rosters, though, since the NCAA won't let the players take money from the video game companies.

Ironic, that. The NCAA stuffed the video game cash into their own pockets, but won't let the players market their likenesses. Good old NCAA hypocrisy.and greed.

Things clearing up on this a bit. The Conferences and their likenesses are apparently held together in a license from CLC, NCAA not the head of it all. The game could still exist without the NCAA and it's corresponding licenses.

Could be open season in the market, though.

NCAA may be out of the business of lending it's name to things as well.
    As a writer, I'm like the last girl at the bar. In the morning, you may regret asking for my services, but I'll get the job done. As long as I don't puke on your floor.

Blog Entries
    @McMurphyESPN: "First non-NCAA affiliated EA Sports college football video game will be called "College Football 15" source told @ESPN"

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Gapinski View Post
    Things clearing up on this a bit. The Conferences and their likenesses are apparently held together in a license from CLC, NCAA not the head of it all. The game could still exist without the NCAA and it's corresponding licenses.
    Thanks, didn't know that.

I don't play video games. How important to video gamers are the likenesses of players on current rosters? EA issued a new game very year, presumably to match roster changes. If they can't do that, because of O'Bannon, will sales plummet?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    Thanks, didn't know that.

I don't play video games. How important to video gamers are the likenesses of players on current rosters? EA issued a new game very year, presumably to match roster changes. If they can't do that, because of O'Bannon, will sales plummet?
    It's certainly possible, but there is a not insignificant group of people on the internet who dutifully go through to make those rosters as accurate as possible to the real thing, and those people I assume would still be there. The game features a "Roster Share" function which allows players to upload these edited and accurate rosters for other players to download and use.

Blog Entries
    They'll be fine as long as they can use the school names. Not sure what they'd do if they couldn't use the school names.
    Twitter @vancemeek "I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory...lasts forever."-Shane Falco

Quote Originally Posted by KabaModernFan View Post
    It's certainly possible, but there is a not insignificant group of people on the internet who dutifully go through to make those rosters as accurate as possible to the real thing, and those people I assume would still be there. The game features a "Roster Share" function which allows players to upload these edited and accurate rosters for other players to download and use.
    People can create their own players? That's interesting. Also, as long as no money changes hands, legal.

Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    People can create their own players? That's interesting. Also, as long as no money changes hands, legal.
    True, but the crux of the O' Bannon stuff is because even though names aren't used, all the players in the games have the right numbers, play the right positions and have the same dimensions of the real college athletes. The digital faces even were made to try to look like the player as much as possible.

So, what the gamers do is just fine, but O'Bannon thinks what EA did already wasn't fine. And, the way I read things, I think we all know that I agree with Ed here.

Oh, and going way back to when this began, gamers used to sell memory cards online with the roster files saved on them. I don't think that was legal (I did not do this, but a guy in my dorm did).