Thread: Running Game

Running Game

I have a fantasy draft coming up and am wondering if there has been any more clarity on the Cowboys' backfield. It sounded like coming into the preseason that Felix Jones was going to become a bigger factor and become the number one and move Marion Barber back to his old "closer" role - but I know Jones has been banged up a little bit and I believe Barber has played well in his absence.

Which of these two guys is going to get more carries this year?

My gut tells me Felix will get more carries and we will see a diminished role for Barber. I will go on a limb even and say that Choice might end up being the #2 by the end of the year. I love what Marion brings to the table, but he is such a hard punishing runner that he has a hard time staying healthy, and he is reaching that point in his career where you wonder if he can continue to produce. Choice is probably the best third-string RB in the league and could even be starter level considering how well he has played when given the chance, so I think this year we start to see him carve out a more defined role in the offense.

One thing I look forward to seeing is a play we used to run with Barber to absolute perfection, that I think Felix Jones could play even better, and it's a pump fake delayed handoff. We run this with Romo a lot, where he will make a quick snap, pump fake, and handoff on a delayed draw play up the middle to Barber. It is highly effective for us when the running game is working and I'd like to see more of that with quicker feet on the ball. Barber is a beast but I think Felix could make a lot of things happen.

If I were guessing about carry splits I'd guess it would be a 50-40-10 split Felix, Barber, Choice, which will no doubt change over the season as guys get nicked up.

Blog Entries
    One thing I look forward to seeing is a play we used to run with Barber to absolute perfection, that I think Felix Jones could play even better, and it's a pump fake delayed handoff. We run this with Romo a lot, where he will make a quick snap, pump fake, and handoff on a delayed draw play up the middle to Barber
    What was up last year with Romo doing the fake to nobody? Was that a busted version of that draw play, or a Favrian sort of fake?

I think he tries to shoulder fake guys sometimes just to see if they jump, but once in awhile he'll do it and there won't be anyone around to make it convincing. I think Romo is only trying to be crafty but it doesn't always work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordsworth View Post
    I think he tries to shoulder fake guys sometimes just to see if they jump, but once in awhile he'll do it and there won't be anyone around to make it convincing. I think Romo is only trying to be crafty but it doesn't always work.
    Thanks, Word. It reminds me of Favre carrying out pass fakes after handing the ball off. Remember a bunch of pundits calling it ridiculous? Although Brett may have overdone it, especially the jump pass fake, a lot of QB's will now turn and pump the quick out after handing off. Makes sense. If a LB is really keying on Romo, every wiggle might buy a few tenths of a second hesitation.

Quote Originally Posted by bluestree View Post
    If a LB is really keying on Romo, every wiggle might buy a few tenths of a second hesitation.
    I think this is exactly what it's all about. Two of Romo's strongest points as a QB, and he knows it, are his ultra quick throwing motion and his shiftiness in the pocket. He likes to wiggle around a lot and try to catch people off guard. One false step by a defensive player can open up a passing lane.

oops double post

I think Felix has the more intrinsic fantasy value - he's going to get touches in special teams as well as more chances to hit home runs in the ground game. Barber is more the 'every down back', and he's not going to be. I would definitely take Felix first out of the backfield with Dallas - but be wary of value. If you're drafting with Dallas fans they will drastically overvalue him. I had my main fantasy draft a couple nights ago and Felix went in the fourth round. Asinine.
    [I]"Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do, but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. We're not talking about the game, we're talking about practice."[/I]

I would stay away from Cowboy running backs until later then I'd still take Barber 1st of the 3, he is the most likely target in the redzone but I wouldn't feel comfortable drafting any of them but that just me
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

Take Felix 1st. He will get his share. I have seen enough of Barber getting stuffed at the goal line or short yardage last year.