Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Fisher a big goateed baby.

Hard to predict whether an outburst like Gundy's will make you a hero or a Mora. But my sense is that Gundy is celebrated for sticking up for his guy.

Yes, I read through the post Rich linked, which was written by a Browns apologist. I think Kosar went too far. Show some respect for the game and the people trying to make a living at it. He didn't. Ridiculing people on air is simply uncalled for, and everyone who matters (Kosar's employers, the Rams) agrees on that.
    Non-performing performance artist

Blog Entries
    Banner issued a statement because he feared a public relations fiasco. That sort of thing can happen when Sports Illustrated starts talking. Speaking of which...

From The Plain Dealer's Terry Pluto, in an article which suggests Kosar sounded disinterested for much of the game (I didn't get that exactly, but shrug) and ought to have spent more time discussing the Browns than the Rams (probably true, regardless of your opinion of his opinions on St. Louis receivers, who are bad), makes an interesting connection:

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Pluto
    To quote his own tweet, the guy "waay over the top there" in his criticism of Kosar was Sports Illustrated's Peter King.

He also tweeted: "My question for Kosar after comments in the Cle-StL preseason game: Were you drinking?"

For the record, Kosar was not drinking. I talked to several people who were with him that night. Kosar has been very candid about his post-concussion issues from his playing days.

Listen to the broadcast. His comments were clear. It's a cheap shot to suggest he was drinking. King should know better than that, even if the tweet was intended as a joke.

Furthermore, King shares the same agent as Rams coach Jeff Fisher, who criticized Kosar in a press conference. That puts King in the position of sounding biased, even if he believes that's not the case.

King has yet to apologize for the "drinking" comment.

In the end, the Browns issued an apology, Kosar called Fisher and apologized and that should be the end of it.
    Let's leave the whole drinking/concussion thing aside. Peter King's agent is Marvin Demoff, who is also Jeff Fisher's agent. The Rams' COO is Kevin Demoff, who handles all St. Louis's business, marketing, and public relations, and so on, according to his bio. And, oh yeah, he's Marvin Demoff's son. Now it sounds like Peter King just happened to be visiting Rams' training camp, two days after the game, when Jeff Fisher expressed his displeasure during a press conference. And Peter King then decided to become the media voice-of-outrage at Kosar's conduct on this incident.

Is a potential conflict of interest for King as serious as Kosar's apparent meanness? Oh, and he hung out in the Rams' war room during this year's draft? It doesn't sound like they've ever coordinated anything together before, or could use a reporter from SI to make public relations hay. Call it a conspiracy theory if you want, but it makes at least as much sense as saying Bernie Kosar doesn't respect the game.
    @kocsan

Announcers for preseason NFL games are more like MLB radio announcers. They are homers and local personalities rather than professional, objective announcers. And that's fine, I think there's room for that particularly in the preseason. I've heard Kosar call a couple of games and he's just terrible, but as a home town hero in a city that doesn't have many, it works. I've read some of the comments and they would be unprofessional for a network crew, but not over the top terrible for a local preseason crew. Certainly no worse than Fisher's comments about Kosar's drinking. Are the Rams receivers terrible? Yes, and a network analyst would have said they were too, he just would have phrased it differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    Announcers for preseason NFL games are more like MLB radio announcers. They are homers and local personalities rather than professional, objective announcers. And that's fine, I think there's room for that particularly in the preseason. I've heard Kosar call a couple of games and he's just terrible, but as a home town hero in a city that doesn't have many, it works. I've read some of the comments and they would be unprofessional for a network crew, but not over the top terrible for a local preseason crew. Certainly no worse than Fisher's comments about Kosar's drinking. Are the Rams receivers terrible? Yes, and a network analyst would have said they were too, he just would have phrased it differently.
    Thanks for the perspective.
    As a writer, I'm like the last girl at the bar. In the morning, you may regret asking for my services, but I'll get the job done. As long as I don't puke on your floor.

Twitter: @PolishedSports

From everything I've read Kosar's sin was saying the Rams' receivers are horrible and that Kellen Clemens can't play quarterback.

Ummm... yeah?

Sure, but as ever in life, it's not what you say, it's how you say it. "His game isn't good enough" versus "He's an embarrassment to his mom."
    Non-performing performance artist

Quote Originally Posted by msclemons View Post
    From everything I've read Kosar's sin was saying the Rams' receivers are horrible and that Kellen Clemens can't play quarterback.
    I'm checking the transcript to see if he said that the sky is blue or water is wet.

Peter King should be ashamed - or at least embarrassed.

you know, I was reading a review in the New York Times earlier tonight and the author mentioned that he and the writer of the book that he was reviewing both had books put out by the same publisher. Because that's what you're supposed to do...

For King to not mention that he has the same agent as Fisher in this case is ridiculous.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    This is all a little sanctimonious for me. Whatever. Bernie said what he thought, something I think we all wish more announcers would actually do. Did you read through the above post that Rich provided? I've watched the game and listened to the commentary and found very little worth a reprimand. I would seriously doubt that Jeff Fisher and Peter King have, and if they can't take a joke, then the hell with them.

Re: Gundy, I thought it was common knowledge that--in addition to Gundy making a fool out of himself--the player for whom he did this didn't particularly appreciate it. Of course, Oklahoma State just hired that player for some non-coaching, football function, so it's obviously a fairly complicated story.
    I was just getting ready to post that about the kid and Gundy. The kid didn't appreciate what Gundy did at all and said it was all very fake to him. People praise Gundy for "standing up for his kid" but very few actually know the whole story. The kid said Gundy essentially ruined his life with that.

Is it safe to say that the Rams' performance on Thursday validated Kosar's opinion?