Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '32 Bears

1. Quote Originally Posted by bluestree View Post
    Can you imagine the players of today covered in elephant dung? Definitely something I'd like to see!
    They would go out on strike before they had to do that !

Quote Originally Posted by Leatherhead View Post
    Good catch Chris ! (pun intended) That would have been the Packer's fourth championship in a row, However not under the league rules of the day. That first NFL playoff game was a watershed game for a young league. Bears/Spartans... Who move in '34 to Detroit and become the Lions! Rules, streamlining the ball, Official stats kept for the first time... I can't help myself....
    Very good. The other major change that came out of this game was eliminating the rule that a player had to be at least 5 yards behind the line in order to throw a pass. The only TD of the game was a pass from Nagurski to Grange. There was a lot of controversy as to whether Nagurski (who had taken a hand off before the pass) was actually 5 yards back. Up until this game, the NFL had used the college rule book, the next year they started using their own. This game would have to be right up there with the '58 championship and '67 Super Bowl as the most important games in league history.

I also seem to remember a story about Nagurski getting stranded at the stadium after the game, but I can't find the story anywhere. Am I just imagining that, or does anyone else remember it?

3. Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    Very good. The other major change that came out of this game was eliminating the rule that a player had to be at least 5 yards behind the line in order to throw a pass. The only TD of the game was a pass from Nagurski to Grange. There was a lot of controversy as to whether Nagurski (who had taken a hand off before the pass) was actually 5 yards back. Up until this game, the NFL had used the college rule book, the next year they started using their own. This game would have to be right up there with the '58 championship and '67 Super Bowl as the most important games in league history.

I also seem to remember a story about Nagurski getting stranded at the stadium after the game, but I can't find the story anywhere. Am I just imagining that, or does anyone else remember it?
    A close look at the scarce photos of this game is revealing, Bareheaded players ( helmets not required until 1943 ) Middle of our first Great Depression, A player is wearing torn britches in the seat pants, This is the era of twenty man squads (of course, two way until 1950 when two platoon is introduced with free substiution ) and fewest number of clubs in NFL history ( 8 ) along with 1943 because of the manpower shortage during WW2. In the coffee table book NFL Century is a picture of two surprised women caught on camera in a sea of men's fedora hats, I always thought by the look on their faces, they snuck in or were invited perhaps as well dressed ladies of the evening.... As far as "Bronk" I had not heard that, but considering the awful weather possible... Halas moved that game from Cubs Park/Wrigley Field to the where the Blackhawks played because of it. How would you liked to crack your head on those thick wooden dasher boards in that rink!

Leatherhead