Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '32 Bears

'32 Bears

Multiple choice, which of the the following is true:

A. In 1932 the Bears didn't score a single point in the first 4 games.
    B. In 1932 the Bears only lost 1 game.
    C. All of the above.

The answer of course is C (why else would I be asking the question). The Bears started the season with 3 straight 0-0 ties, then lost to the Packers 2-0. 4 games, 2 points, 0-1-3 record. Now that's some exciting football. To add to the dichotomy that was the '32 Bears, they had 2 of the biggest names in football history in their backfield - Bronko Nagurski and Red Grange.

The Bears finished the season 7-1-6 (an NFL record for ties) and went on to win the first ever NFL championship game 9-0 over the Portsmouth Spartans (who would become the Detroit Lions). Not only was it the first ever championship game, it was also the first ever Arena League game. Due to a blizzard, it was played indoors on an 80-yard dirt field.

Here's a nice article from the HOF about the game and how it helped change the NFL:
    http://www.profootballhof.com/histor...yoff_game.aspx

Blog Entries
    Whenever I read about this era of pro football, I think about my dad, isolated on a farm in northern Wisconsin, listening to the Packers/Bears on a crystal radio he built out of household items. "Then you made the Cat's Whiskers out of some fine wires and a stick..."
    Long ways from NFL Sunday Ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by bluestree View Post
    Whenever I read about this era of pro football, I think about my dad, isolated on a farm in northern Wisconsin, listening to the Packers/Bears on a crystal radio he built out of household items. "Then you made the Cat's Whiskers out of some fine wires and a stick..."
    Long ways from NFL Sunday Ticket.
    I am always fascinated by the short-lived radio-only era of sports. People that for years followed their favorite team without ever actually seeing them. I don't think it's a coincidence that the NFL started to pass MLB as the #1 sport during the cable TV/satellite era. Baseball is a good radio game, some would say it's better on radio. When you hear '2-run home run', you have a pretty good idea what happened. Football is a TV game. You need to see the formations to really have a full understanding of what's going on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    I am always fascinated by the short-lived radio-only era of sports. People that for years followed their favorite team without ever actually seeing them. I don't think it's a coincidence that the NFL started to pass MLB as the #1 sport during the cable TV/satellite era. Baseball is a good radio game, some would say it's better on radio. When you hear '2-run home run', you have a pretty good idea what happened. Football is a TV game. You need to see the formations to really have a full understanding of what's going on.
    Ray Scott announcing Packer games in the sixties; "Starr...Taylor...three yards...second down." He was very serious about letting the images do the talking, when a lot of the guys were still doing the radio style calls. The subject of Baseball vs Football as national pastime is interesting. Some say baseball more suited an agricultural economy, it fit better with farm life, when work was finished earlier in the day. Radio made the Golden Age of sports. Before the turn of the century, horse racing was king, people knew horses like we know ballplayers, but you actually had to attend the race to participate in the experience.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post

C. All of the above.

The answer of course is C (why else would I be asking the question). The Bears started the season with 3 straight 0-0 ties, then lost to the Packers 2-0. 4 games, 2 points, 0-1-3 record. Now that's some exciting football. To add to the dichotomy that was the '32 Bears, they had 2 of the biggest names in football history in their backfield - Bronko Nagurski and Red Grange.

The Bears finished the season 7-1-6 (an NFL record for ties) and went on to win the first ever NFL championship game 9-0 over the Portsmouth Spartans (who would become the Detroit Lions). Not only was it the first ever championship game, it was also the first ever Arena League game. Due to a blizzard, it was played indoors on an 80-yard dirt field.

Here's a nice article from the HOF about the game and how it helped change the NFL:
    Andy,

One other historical note : In all of Pro Football that game was the only indoor match played until 1968. (AFL Houston Oilers, Astrodome)

Leatherhead

6. Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post

C. All of the above.

Sounds like the pre-season games we have been doing. Offense is a little slow so far.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Leatherhead View Post
    Andy,

One other historical note : In all of Pro Football that game was the only indoor match played until 1968. (AFL Houston Oilers, Astrodome)

Leatherhead
    Leatherhead wouldn't be a Packer fan would he? Welcome to a whole new world.

Blog Entries
    Also, if I remember correctly, I think this was the game in which Nagurski had some famous quotes about the extra fertilizer on the field due to the circus being in town recently at the time. Was not the game played at the OLD Chicago Stadium? I remember loving the chapter about that particular season in a biography on Halas that i read.
    The podcast: www.polishguypodcast.blogspot.com

It's a podcast done by a ninja who is Polish!

"I don't believe in a lot of things, but I believe in duct tape."-Miles on "Lost."

twitter: @PguyPodcast

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Polishguy00 View Post
    Also, if I remember correctly, I think this was the game in which Nagurski had some famous quotes about the extra fertilizer on the field due to the circus being in town recently at the time. Was not the game played at the OLD Chicago Stadium? I remember loving the chapter about that particular season in a biography on Halas that i read.
    Can you imagine the players of today covered in elephant dung? Definitely something I'd like to see!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Cris Collinsworth View Post
    Leatherhead wouldn't be a Packer fan would he? Welcome to a whole new world.
    Good catch Chris ! (pun intended) That would have been the Packer's fourth championship in a row, However not under the league rules of the day. That first NFL playoff game was a watershed game for a young league. Bears/Spartans... Who move in '34 to Detroit and become the Lions! Rules, streamlining the ball, Official stats kept for the first time... I can't help myself....