Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FP Dynasty League Open Thread-

Blog Entries

FP Dynasty League Open Thread-

Now that the draft is done, let's start the conversation fresh. It's also a good place to put the rules. Today is officially the first day of forever.

DYNASTY LEAGUE RULES:

Schedule
    13 Weeks. Assuming 12 teams, you play each team once, plus two random divisional foes for an additional matchup. If only 10 teams, you’d play each divisional opponent twice.

Playoffs
    Weeks 14-16. Top 6 teams get in. Division winners receive a bye. Next 4 teams determined by overall record. First tie-breaker is H2H, followed by total points.
    FOR PLAYOFFS ONLY: You will be able to designate 1 OT player. This player can be anyone from your bench. ESPN does not allow for this setting, so I will need to manually calculate the OT results, in event of a tie. The OT player’s points are only counted if a playoff game ends in a tie. If the OT players also tie, the tie-breaker will be awarded to the team with the higher (1 being highest) seed.

Starting Lineup
    1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLX (RB/WR/TE), 1K, 1DST. This is a keeper league, but the expectation is that we will set a competitive lineup every week. There is no benching of players allowed in order to "game the system" to acquire better draft picks. For the betterment of the league, I reserve the right to adjust a starting lineup for any team that is starting inactive, injured or bye week players. I will judge this on a case by case basis when needed. Please give me your trust to ensure that all of us can continue to enjoy this league.

Lineup Changes
    Players lock individually at their scheduled game time.

Trading
    The trade deadline will occur on Wednesday, November 13 at NOON, prior to week 11 of the regular season. The Wednesday NOON deadlline is the only option ESPN allows. Trade season will reopen on March 1 for the following season. The Commissioner is in charge of reviewing all trades. When the commish’s team is involved in a trade, the deputy commissioner will be in charge of reviewing the trade. My general plan is that I do not get involved in trades, i.e. do not intend to veto trades. Everyone has a different idea with regard to trade/pick value, and quite frankly, it’s not my place to stop stupid. That’s part of the game. However, trades will be looked upon as not only what’s best for each team involved, but also what’s best for the league as a whole. Full-fledged roster dumping or grossly uneven trades will be reviewed and reversed.

Trade Protests
    I (or the deputy commish) am responsible for the review of all trades. However, if there is a trade that you feel is grossly unfair, please email me ASAP with an explanation. I will consider your argument, and will make a final verdict. As I stated before, I tend to be very liberal with trades, and err on the side of the deal. In 11 years in my home league, I’ve only ever vetoed 2 trades, and 1 of those was simply saving an inexperienced owner from himself. I’m expecting that there will be no issues with regard to trading.

Startup Draft
    The initial draft will be 20 rounds, and the draft will be serpentine (Rd 1: 1-12, Rd2: 12-1, etc). The draft order will be determined randomly by espn once the league locks 1hour prior to the draft.

Rookie/Free Agent Draft
    In each subsequent year following year 1, we will hold a 6 round Rookie/Free Agent Draft. Pick 1 will be given the 1st pick in each of the 6 rounds. Pick 2 will receive the 2 in each round etc. The first 6 picks of every round will be awarded to non-playoff teams in inverse order of finish from the season before (weeks 1-13). Picks 7-12 of each round will be determined by order of worst finish in the playoffs, with picks 7 & 8 going to the first round losers, using their inverse regular season record. The champion will pick last, and the championship runner up will pick next to last. Trading of draft picks can only involve the current year and following year rookie picks only. Both Rookies and all NFL Free Agents are eligible for this draft.

In-Season Roster Size
    20 active players (11 starters) with 3 available IR spots. The IR designation will only be used for players that have been placed on the IR by their NFL team.

1st Roster Cut-Down Date
    Rosters must reach a maximum of 20 no later than May 1, which is a week before the NFL Draft. The Rookie/Free Agent Draft Date is TBD, but will occur at an agreed upon date shortly after the NFL draft has concluded. Rosters after the Dynasty Rookie/FA Draft has begun may exceed with no limit up until the 2nd Roster Cutdown Date.

2nd Roster Cut-Down Date
    Rosters must reach 20 no later than a week before the first processed weekly waiver wire. (which will be held prior to Week 1 of the NFL pre-season). *It is your responsibility to follow the cut-down dates. I will do my best to send a reminder via email, and on the league message board.

I.R. Roster Spots
    Each season, any players on an injured reserve spot must be taken off of IR prior to the 1st Roster Cutdown Date (above). After the rookie/free agent draft, the roster size can exceed 20 (due to trading) until the 2nd Roster Cutdown Date.

Off Season Roster Size
    Your off season roster can fall below, but must not exceed 20 players. As stated above, following the draft, roster sizes may exceed 20, with no limit, until the 2nd roster cut-down date prior to the start of the pre-season. Once the Rookie/Free Agent draft has concluded, all remaining players will be considered free agents, and will be eligible for pick up.

Free Agent Acquisition and Blind Bidding
    The free agent system will be a conditional "blind bidding" process every Wednesday and Saturday Week 2 through week 16 of the NFL season. Each team will start with 1,000 free agent "dollars" for the season, and will be permitted to bid for free agents on a weekly basis. Bid bucks do NOT carry-over from year to year and cannot exceed 1,000. (no trading of bid bucks) Once they're gone they will not be replenished until the following season. Team owners may acquire free agents via the waiver wire bidding process or rookie draft only. Minimum bid $1 - Maximum bid $1,000. No team will be informed of any other team's free agent bids until after the winning bids have been awarded. The team with the highest valid bid on any given player will be awarded that player. The amount of the winning bid will be deducted from the winning team's free agent dollars. For each winning bid, the winning team must drop a player to make roster room for the free agent acquisition. If a team's free agent dollars go to zero, that team will no longer be allowed to bid for the rest of the season. No bid will be accepted that is larger than a team's free agent dollars. All bids must be in increments of dollars (no cents). Please note: Blind bidding is not the same as auction bidding. The winning player will be awarded for the highest value bid.

First Waiver Period
    1 week prior to Week 1 of the NFL Preseason – Note: in the Preseason, waivers will be processed only one (1) time per week, every Wednesday at 8 PM. Pre-season waivers will be processed a total of five (5) times. Bidding will then continue Week 2 with the normally scheduled two (2) waiver periods weekly on Wednesday night 8PM EST and Friday night 8PM EST. (COMMISH NOTE: This is my goal for how waivers will run during the pre-season. I will not know if this will work on the site until we try it next season)

Final Waiver Period
    The final waiver period for each season will occur prior to week 16 (Championship week).

Tied Bids
    In the event of a tied bid, the player will be awarded based on the following criteria.
    1. Worst Record
    2. Worst Total Points
    3. Worst Intra-Divisional Record
    4. Worst Total Points Against

Common Sense/Spirit of the League
    This is the first time we’ve put a league like this together. I’m sure there are some rules that have been missed. Instead of searching for a loophole, please use common sense. For any prospective rule changes, such as scoring, rosters, etc, I will always poll the members of the league. However, if there’s a need for a rule clarification, I reserve the right to act in the best interests of our league.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Blog Entries
    I'll try to do a full-on breakdown of this league prior to Thursday. However, I also still have to complete one for my home league, which has been slacking a bit, since I've been putting time and effort into our 3 leagues.

Below- Post your team, and a comment as to whom you think had the best draft, best pick, etc.

-Marion Motley

Blog Entries
    Insane Unicorns: GM, the wonderful Amy!

QB: RG3, Schaub, Tannehill, Mallet. I'm very happy with my QBs. Two solid starters, one there for development potential, and one for trade if he signs elsewhere next year.

RB: Rice, Ridley, Blount, Woodhead, Stevens-Howling. Happy with the starters, meh about the bench.

WR: Decker, Austin, Thompkins, Kerley, Jacoby Jones. Happy with the WRs, Sad I didn't get more of the young Pats.

TE: TE: Gronk, Daniels, Miller. Very happy with the TEs. Sad that I missed on Sudfeld.

K: Gostkowski. All I need. I'll take the zero in week 10 from kicker.

D/ST: Bengals, Broncos. I wanted the Bengals, and Denver can fill in on the bye.

Overall, I'm happy. I think I'll be in the mix this year, and I hope I did a good foundation job for later years.
    "False Start everyone but the center." Gene Steretore. Pats vs Jets. 12/24/16.

Have no choice but to rebuild. Wish I could have gotten a younger QB instead of Romo though. Love my WRs.

QB: Romo, Bradford
    RB: Miller, Murray, Bell, Quizz, Powell, Knile Davis, Stacy
    WR: Megatron, Bowe, Harvin, Stills, Hunter, Quick, Patton
    TE: Davis, Thomas
    K: Bullock
    D/ST: Bucs
    If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”
    ― Walter Payton

Bobbyz Boyz: The first time I have done a Dynasty league before. So here goes it....

QB: Drew Brees, Josh Freeman

RB: Jamaal Charles, Darren Sproles, Vick Ballard, Pierre Thomas, Robert Turbin, Stepfan Taylor,

WR: Danny Amendola, Vincent Jackson, Marques Colston, Mike Williams, Andre Roberts, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Brandon LaFell

TE: Jordan Cameron, Martellus Bennett

K: Matt Prater

D/ST: Viking, Giants

I have no clue how to feel about my team. Part of me feels I didn't draft enough long term and part of me feels I'm going to be hurting now lol!

Blog Entries
    Toxic Avengers-

QB- Cam Newton, Jake Locker
    RB- CJ Spiller, Eddie Lacy, Rashard Mendenhall, Isaiah Pead, Ryan Williams, Chris Polk
    WR- Demaryius Thomas, Antonio Brown, Pierre Garcon, Reuben Randle, Golden Tate, Michael Crabtree
    TE- Greg Olsen, Brandon Myers
    DST- Steelers, Cowboys
    K- Matt Bryant, Dan Bailey

-I really hope Newton doesn't get hurt. I passed on Palmer to gamble big time that Locker has some upside.
    -CJ Spiller at #7 should have been illegal. Talent + Age made him the #1 player on my board.
    -Other than at K, my oldest player is 28 (Greg Olsen).
    -Seriously, look at that WR corps.

Best Team (Built for now- Not my own)- Bobby's team looks really good to me. The WR are a bit risky, but Brees, Charles, Amendola/Colston/VJax/M. Williams and Jordan Cameron has a lot of promise.

Best Team (Future- Not my own)- Tubbs has a lot of breakout potential on his team. I even kinda like the Carson Palmer/Geno Smith combo at QB (I kinda wish I had taken Palmer). David Wilson, TY Hilton, Kendall Wright, Giovanni Bernard, Tyler Eifert, DRich, E. Sanders, Woods, Ertz, etc is a really good foundation for the future.

Great fun guys. That was a new experience for most of us.

I'm looking forward to the last place care package we put together, and to finding an appropriate trophy.

-Marion Motley

Quote Originally Posted by Docta View Post
    Have no choice but to rebuild. Wish I could have gotten a younger QB instead of Romo though. Love my WRs.

QB: Romo, Bradford
    RB: Miller, Murray, Bell, Quizz, Powell, Knile Davis, Stacy
    WR: Megatron, Bowe, Harvin, Stills, Hunter, Quick, Patton
    TE: Davis, Thomas
    K: Bullock
    D/ST: Bucs
    Yeah you have solid depth for the present and future with that WR core. I especially like quick, I was going to take him!

Blog Entries
    Team Meek:

QB: Carson Palmer, Geno Smith, Brock Osweiler - Kind of Meh here. Palmer should put up decent stats this year, Geno is a hit or miss and Osweiler is learning behind Manning.

RB: Marshawn Lynch, David Wilson, Daryl Richardson, Giovani Bernard, Christine Michael - Really like my running backs. Lynch, Wilson and Richardson all start this year. Wilson and Richardson are both young. Bernard is the Bengals future star and Michael will hopefully take over for Lynch and I won't miss a beat.

WR: T.Y. Hilton, Cecil Shorts, Kendall Wright, Emmanuel Sanders, Robert Woods, Nick Toon - I have a lot of youth and potential here, but not sure how they will do now. Love Hilton, but Shorts and Wright both have bad QB's throwing the ball to them. Sanders may be better at the #2 WR position this year. Love Woods future and Toon is vying for playing time in NO where they spread the ball everywhere.

TE: Tyler Eifert, Brandon Pettigrew, Zach Ertz - Really like my TE's too. Eifert is going to be a stud and I think Chip Kelly will bring out the best in Ertz who is a great receiver. Pettigrew has the potential to be the Lions #2 receiver.

K: Josh Brown - Meh, just a kicker.

DEF: Cardinals, Chiefs - Cardinals had a great D with a horrible O last year. If their O keeps them off the field a little more they should be even better. Mathieu brings big play ability along with Peterson. The Chiefs have a ton of talent on defense and a great CB trio and a great pass rush.

I think I have a pretty good mix of now and future, but I really think the future looks bright if one of my QB's can work out. If now I'll be taking one early after this year.

Blog Entries
    I can't believe we allowed you to pair Michael with Lynch.

-Marion Motley

Blog Entries
    My team:

QB -- Andrew Luck, Jay Cutler, Kirk Cousins, Christian Ponder -- Clearly, I'm playing long term and looking to deal here. Conventional wisdom is that Cousins's value is high (I'm not sold yet) will be traded somewhere in the next year or so (presumably to start). Let's see where that is and if someone would like to bite.
    RB -- Montee Ball, Shane Vereen, Denard Robinson, Mike Tolbert, Kendall Hunter -- In general a very young position group, but clearly the weak link on the team. If Ball and Vereen both break out this year, I'll look like a genius; if the miles catch up with Frank Gore, things could get interesting. If none of that happens, I'll be taking a runningback high next season for sure. Probably will be anyway.
    WR -- Dez Bryant, Andre Johnson, DeSean Jackson, Chris Givens, Greg Little, Mario Manningham -- By far the deepest, best position group on my team. Probably a contending for strongest receiving corps in the whole league, and only one of them on the wrong side of thirty. A trade is always available, too.
    TE -- Coby Fleener, Heath Miller -- One young, one old. We'll just have to see how Fleener develops and Miller comes back from injury. In a fourteen team league, this can easily happen.
    D/ST -- Ravens, Dolphins -- Decided to go after two defenses since the waiver wire will be dangerous in a league this deep. I think I have two decent ones.
    K -- Garrett Hartley -- I draft kickers whose teams score a lot of touchdowns. Not really a secret.

Overall -- I'm not really sure how I feel about this group. I went after young guys, which could pay dividends, but the team's success early is going to hinge on their development, to state the utterly obvious. Looking across the league, I think these guys have an opportunity to contend with a little good fortune. There's no perfect team in a fourteen team league, so I'm comfortable with this--in spite of some serious reservations--and am looking forward to competing against everyone here. Also, again, no one on this roster untouchable. I am not afraid to trade and welcome all offers.

Best Drafts -- No offense meant, but in general, I believe the Turk Division is a slightly tougher draw than the McConkey Division. I like Kaba's team a lot (Matt Ryan and LeSean McCoy makes him an instant title contender in a fourteen team league, provided the rest of his lineup isn't atrocious, and of course it isn't), and I think Trumpet (Spiller and Lacy is a potentially great, young battery of RBs), Doc (somehow he got Lamar Miller, DeMarco Murray, and Calvin Johnson), and Rich (another good battery of backs, in Trent Richardson and Chris Johnson) can all contend. In the opposite division, Vance and Ragar went young (a strategy I obviously like) and I think did so fairly successfully. Packa is built to win now, and while he's definitely got a young bench, some of his picks are little hazy to me. Biggie has some nice pieces, although I wouldn't be surprised if his team changes up a bit in the coming weeks. Amy's team looks pretty solid from top to bottom.

Anyway, my humble opinion. No offense meant to anyone. If you didn't like something I said (or that I left you out), kick my ass in the league.
    @kocsan