Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Wish The Vikings Fans Still Came Around Here

  1. #1
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    5,608

    Wish The Vikings Fans Still Came Around Here

    That Browns win was a hell of a lot more fun than I expected from that game. From crazy start to gutty finish, the Browns showed more heart and inspiration than I've seen from them in years.

    I realize that Hoyer is no sort of long term answer, but they may as well cut Weeden tomorrow. After seeing a guy making his second start lead the team to a comeback win on the road, Browns fans will burn the stadium down if they see Weeden back under centre.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

  2. #2
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    3,869
    Blog Entries
    5
    I agree with everything you said about Hoyer. No, he's not a quarterback of the future, but he's at least competent and skilled enough to be the quarterback of the present given the other options available. He plays reasonably smart--much smarter than Weeden--which more than makes up for the differential in throwing capabilities. And it's not like Hoyer has a noodle arm, anyway. I know you're only half-serious when you say cut Weeden, but the only compelling reason not to do so, apart from whatever salary cap problems that would present (if any), is that this team needs to carry three quarterbacks at any given time. The team's total inability to run the football means whoever is playing quarterback is going to be under siege all day. Opposing defenses will tighten up and pin their ears back to get after the passer.

    Also, any talk of trading Josh Gordon should end completely. If the complaint about Richardson was that he was not explosive, you certainly can't say that about Gordon. Even if they could get a first rounder--and they won't, because of the drug issues--it's not worth parting with him because there's simply no guarantee you're going to find a super-talented guy to replace him. One in the hand really is worth two in the bush. He might be a headcase, but we're just going to have to roll with him and hope he grows up.

    I have to say, though, I was more relaxed listening to the game today than I have been in years. I mean, by the end, I wanted them to win, but... it just wasn't that big a deal to me throughout the game. And hey, stuff like this is fun, even if you can't do it every week or expect to win very often if you depend on it:

    @kocsan

  3. #3
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    3,869
    Blog Entries
    5
    Adrian Peterson ‏@AdrianPeterson 1h

    So my daughter is laying here under me and just out the blue she says... I can't believe you lost to the Browns Daddy! Smh
    @kocsan

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    West Hills, California
    Posts
    2,986
    I can't believe they lost to the Browns either. Oh well, so much for my survivor pool.

  5. #5
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    5,608
    Quote Originally Posted by mkocs6 View Post
    Adrian Peterson ‏@AdrianPeterson 1h

    So my daughter is laying here under me and just out the blue she says... I can't believe you lost to the Browns Daddy! Smh
    Lost in the craziness of the game was the fact that Leslie Frasier pulled a Jim Schwartz yesterday in challenging a call that he couldn't.

    From the USA Today:
    When Browns punt returner Travis Benjamin muffed the punt, Vikings linebacker Larry Dean scooped the ball up and headed to the end zone. The officials correctly ruled the Vikings could not advance a muffed punt and awarded Minnesota the ball at the Cleveland 26.

    Frasier threw the red flag to challenge. But NFL rules stipulate changes of possession can only be reviewed from the booth. Leavy then issued a 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct.

    But a rule change this offseason — the so-called "Jim Schwartz rule" which was written after the Lions coach challenged a touchdown last season —says the Vikings should have been charged a timeout and not penalized the yardage.
    So the ref made a mistake, but the rule only changed this season. Frasier should have known that he couldn't make the challenge.

    One more thing - the camera kept focussing on the Vikings' fans dressed in viking garb. One guy had a huge white power symbol tattooed on his gut. I froze the picture, and yep, there it was.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

  6. #6
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    4,568
    Blog Entries
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    One more thing - the camera kept focussing on the Vikings' fans dressed in viking garb. One guy had a huge white power symbol tattooed on his gut. I froze the picture, and yep, there it was.
    Did it look like PaperMate?

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    Lost in the craziness of the game was the fact that Leslie Frasier pulled a Jim Schwartz yesterday in challenging a call that he couldn't.
    I think Frazier may actually be the first HC fired this year. That team is snakebitten.
    Workin' on mysteries without any clues

  8. #8
       
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,544
    Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    But a rule change this offseason — the so-called "Jim Schwartz rule" which was written after the Lions coach challenged a touchdown last season —says the Vikings should have been charged a timeout and not penalized the yardage.
    I'm not surprised the officials made a mistake.

    In my opinion football --both the NFL and NCAA -- is the most over-officiated game in the world. Too many rules, too many flags.
    Non-performing performance artist

  9. #9
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    3,869
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    I'm not surprised the officials made a mistake.

    In my opinion football --both the NFL and NCAA -- is the most over-officiated game in the world. Too many rules, too many flags.
    Agreed. To make matters worse, new rules are often reactions based on some combination of fear of legal liability, public relations catastrophes, or absurd situations that no one ever thought to make a rule to deal with for good reason. And after they make said rule, they're likely to tweak it or change enforcement of it just as soon as everyone's gotten around to learning the first version of the rule. Ugh.
    @kocsan

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •