Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what a wasted season

what a wasted season

I still am reeling after seeing this game. What did I just see? Is this all some cruel joke? Again our coaches were terrible with their game plans and adjustments. The following is the email I sent my Steelers buddy, trumpet to voice my disdain...

I'll start with the defense. The unit doesn't lack speed or athleticism, it lacks discipline and fundamentals. While I can see Clark and troy are getting up there in age, and as a result aren't as fast and athletic anymore, that isn't our problem. Our other elderly statesmen played great games. Diesel had a fantastic game, and ike was well, ike. Ike is still plenty fast. Age isn't our problem. Discipline and fundamentals are.

We got our doors blown off by an offense that sucks at throwing the ball. An offense that relies on lots of read option and wildcat looks. To defeat that type of offense you play to your keys and if you stay disciplined, play proper technique, and execute the proper fundamentals you shut this type of offense down everytime. It's simple, you have to know and execute your assignment based on the down/distance/formation keys.

Keep contain (I'm staring at you, Woodley and Jones), maintain gap control, the inside backers need to know who's the got the rb and who's got the qb, while the line needs to keep the backers clean. Be patient and don't over commit trying to be a freaking hero, this scheme feasts on this. We did none of the above in this game.

A line that had 2 backups starting easily blew open huge run lanes because we did none of these things correctly.. the change in scheme lebeau put into place of the line pushing up field is blowing up in our face. Not only has our d line gotten next to no sacks, by pushing instead of eating blockers, it's exposed our backers to clogged lanes to the ball. Usually these lanes are clearly defined, and it reinforces gap control. We have no gap control. We got smoked on so many cut back runs it should be criminal, all because a backer over pursued to the play side zone and ignored his gap assignment. We also got destroyed by many (especially the 93yd rush by Pryor) by not setting the edge and maintaining outside contain. The purpose of contain is to funnel the play back inside where gap control is in full effect. If the ilb's are playing the keys, and sticking to their assignments the one who's responsible for the runner will be there to make the play. If he can't for whatever reason, BOTH safeties are there to cover the miss for a 5 yard gain at the worst.

All that said, some of our poor execution is on rooks who don't know what they're seeing yet (Williams and Jones), most of it is on schematical mistakes. Most of it is on troy being troy, and being out of position to make any difference on said play. Like you said, troy ISN'T troy anymore.. I'll also add Clark ISN'T Clark anymore. He can't play robin to troys batman, and troy isn't batman anymore. We needed disciplined and sound safety play to beat this run option team (like we had when we made Rg3 look mortal last year). We needed safeties ready to catch the overflow for short gains. We didn't need somebody freelancing and forcing his way into the box for ABSOLUTELY ZERO reason, to only get caught in the wash and COMPLETELY negated on the play because the other team was smart enough to scheme away from the freelance. This happened vs the vikes too. Too much troy in the box. A good running team schemes troys freelancing out. Minnesota and Oakland sure did... Had he been playing safety, like he should have been, we wouldn't have seen those long plays we did. It's no mere coincidence, that when the defense stuck to being disciplined vs a much better run option team last year (the redskins) they performed much better, no deviation from being disciplined, no troy trying to be troy when he isn't troy anymore.. troy needs to play safety, no more freelancing.. his freelancing hasn't yielded enough gains to offset the negatives. Be semi-troy in the secondary, save the big plays. Don't leave another old guy in the lurch being the only deep guy...

This game is on lebeau and Haley. The game plans sucked. Coach dad adjusted a little better, but much of that is on the fact the raiders went ultra conservative with a 3 score lead. The raiders rode the clock trying to mitigate potential mistakes, and even when they made them we couldn't capitalize.

Our offense SUCKS, and I 100% put that on Haley. Great game plans the 2 previous games, but where was any of that this game?? This plan wasn't creative, even a little. Lots of telegraphed delayed draws and useless bubble screens. No useful short stuff to open up the long stuff.

Our crown gem is our sandlot qb, and his success with the hurry up. Why in the hell on any planet in our galaxy, did we open up the 2nd half attempting to burn clock with a damn near 10 minute drive DOWN 3 scores. Does Haley not understand the game or the guys he has on his team???

When they went hurry up, all we did was consistently move the rock. If not for 2 dropped passes by AB, we most likely would have scored on both drives.

We don't go hurry up enough and we play polamalu out of position regularly for no reasons what so ever. Why aren't the coordinators adjusting??? I love tomlin, but he hasn't seen this trend.. why NOT?? why hasn't he forced a different direction?? That's the head guys job, save a coordinator from himself, many times that's what differentiates the best hc.

IMO tomlin needs to step in and force his will.. his coordinators are making too many mistakes... Haley especially... Our. Losses have nothing to do with talent or ability, just how it's used.

There's not one game this year we couldn't have won. We have the talent, even if some of it is super young.. the losses have come mostly from coordinator issues not using what we have the right way.

Tomlin needs to be a better boss. Haley needs replaced, immediately, lebeau needs his decisions to be challenged. Tomlin is giving free reign to coach dad.. that's a bad choice. Challenge him more.

Our team doesn't have the most talent, but it has enough. The disconnect is in its coaching. Challenge the coordinators and learn clock management Mike. Prepare the team to play well before halftime. That's all on the coaches, were ALWAYS playing catch up.. why didn't we go hurry up immediately after the 2nd rush td??

The coaches are killing this team...
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Welcome to loserviller Mike. If you lived in Toronto, I'd buy you a beer and tell you that eventually, you'll get used to these feelings.

Then I'd force you to watch the teams I love as they trot out Thad Lewis and Jason Campbell in the thin hopes of winning this Sunday.

Then I'd stiff you with the bar tab - after all, you are a Steelers fan.
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Quote Originally Posted by Pruitt View Post
    Welcome to loserviller Mike. If you lived in Toronto, I'd buy you a beer and tell you that eventually, you'll get used to these feelings.

Then I'd force you to watch the teams I love as they trot out Thad Lewis and Jason Campbell in the thin hopes of winning this Sunday.

Then I'd stiff you with the bar tab - after all, you are a Steelers fan.

But the Browns will be OK, Pruitt, because y'all have Armanti Edwards now Maybe he can play QB. Just for the love of God do not let the kid return kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    But the Browns will be OK, Pruitt, because y'all have Armanti Edwards now Maybe he can play QB. Just for the love of God do not let the kid return kicks.
    Maybe he's going to be under centre?
    “I’ve always been a big fan of Norv Turner. I think he gets it. I think he does an outstanding job.” — Pat Shurmur

Chris Burke ‏@ChrisBurke_SI 10m
    Mike Adams! RT @chatham58: Don't like your team's O? U could be a Steeler fan...2nd play from scrimmage: pic.twitter.com/0tISfIGPXf

Blog Entries
    So what is the problem with LeBeau? Just can't reign in Troy?

Quote Originally Posted by darvon View Post
    So what is the problem with LeBeau? Just can't reign in Troy?
    That's my biggest gripe, but it goes deeper than that. This team didn't come ready to play the first half of the game, and that's a recurring theme. We attacked this raiders offense and that's a huge no no. You don't attack an option offense, you play to your keys, stay patient, maintain your gap (or contain) and let the play come to you. Safeties react POST snap to attack the box, not PRE snap. They plug the holes, they don't further contribute to them. You cannot over commit vs an option team that has a highly athletic qb and top shelf rb, especially when they are running behind a zbs.

The non play side backer can't crash the line, he has to set the edge. The ilb's have to stick to their assignments, one has the qb one the back. Lineman occupy space and keep the backers clean. None of this happened in the first half. Nearly 200 yards of rushing allowed did though.

The raiders and Pryor didn't do a single thing that was a surprise schematically. They were who they are. My issue is we KNEW who they were and CHOSE to attack, which gives the advantage to the option, instead of being sound fundamentally, which forces the option qb to stay in the pocket and pass. A qbs who's passing abilities don't scare you one bit. You don't dare Pryor to run!!! The kid is a legit 4.4 runner, only 4 guys on our defense have that kind of speed. On the flip our secondary eats young passers, especially run guys, for lunch.

So we chose to be aggressive instead of technically sound, in hopes the aggression would somehow get lucky, instead of playing sound and forcing a limited skill set qb to do what he's not good at vs a secondary that's VERY good at exploiting those kind of mistakes.

Terrible play calling by lebeau, and horrible execution by the position coaches for not ensuring their guys played proper technique.

Perhaps the coaches collectively called the aggressive game because they know our Haley coordinated offense is terribad, and it really is. Suisham is nearly 40% of our total points since Haley took over. I can't tell you anything but our play calls have made a team that is talented enough to be 5-2, 2-5.

That's the super frustrating part. Our maladies have come when a player is trying to do more than he should on a given play, to cover for a bad play call. Some of that is covering a lot of the young guys we have starting, a lot of it is bad decision making by a coordinator.

Think about this... Were down 3 scores and Haley calls a drive to start the second half vs the raiders that consumed damn near 10 minutes!!! You need 3 scores and you just ate up 1/3 of the clock. Do the math, then add in we missed the fg because our red zone offense sucks hard. Was Haley planning on possessing the ball the ENTIRE 2nd half and methodically marching to scores ALL 3 times???

Why didn't we start hurry up?? Shake things up!! Let Ben do what he does better than Haley, call the plays. Most of our td drives this year are in the hurry up... Why does Haley hate it so much?? Is he so prideful he eschews it because it shows Ben is better at calling plays? Haley only let's us use the hurry up late in halves. No coincidence Ben is pressing and forcing throws, trying to win, and forced a bad one. Why doesn't Haley let his best player do what he does best when there isn't the pressure that compels him to force throws??

Why hasn't tomlin stepped in and forced that approach??
    Last edited by mikesteelnation1; 10-31-2013 at 03:10 AM.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    Chris Burke ‏@ChrisBurke_SI 10m
    Mike Adams! RT @chatham58: Don't like your team's O? U could be a Steeler fan...2nd play from scrimmage: pic.twitter.com/0tISfIGPXf

Haley is SOOOOO terrible... Our #1 wr got bracketed, #2 ran a useless flat route, heath ran a shallow route... Wonder why ALL OF THEM ARE SURROUNDED BY DEFENDERS??!!! WAIT there's a 330lb behemoth {running} a clear route to open up the underneath stuff... {Funny why not one single defender decided to pay even an ounce of attention to Adams' {route}. Note to Haley, if the defense is showing and playing zone your intermediate guy can't possibly get ZERO attention with any hope of positive yardage, he needs to be a threat to gain yards to clear the zones to open everyone else up.

Heath should have ran that route with Adams running the one heath did. Open up the zones. Haley SOOOOO isn't very good, like at all.

I guess here's how I'll judge the coaching staff this week. The pats aren't better than we are. IMHO we have more talent, talent that hasn't been used correctly.

We better start the game in press man "quarters" defensive scheme, with the dbs pressing and the safeties playing cover 2. We can't play our off man for everyone but ike scheme. If you give Brady 7 yard cushions, nothing good happens, even with their garbage skill position guys. Press the wrs and blitz smart. Send the fire x's (been a minute since I've seen that), and always smash his guys at the line. Get them off their route. They're super young, and very inexperienced. Brady needs the timing routes. Timmons needs to smash gronk off the line and then pass him off to polamalu. Troy needs to play deep halves in this game. The press needs to kill the timing, like it did the last time we played.

We also need to embrace the dink and dunk passing game like we did then too.. our personnel is much more suited to this now then it was then.

If we're not trying to out small ball them, the coaches messed up. Especially on defense. They can ONLY small ball..
    Last edited by mikesteelnation1; 10-31-2013 at 03:41 AM.

Blog Entries
    I definitely agree that coaching has been pretty bad this year in Pittsburgh, but I think you are overselling the talent on the team too. The Steelers offensive line, even with Pouncey, is questionable on the edge, Brown is a very good WR, but the WR overall isn't special at all, there's a rookie RB, Ben still holds the ball too long at times, and the defense is littered with first-time starters. The Steelers haven't drafted exceptionally well in recent years, and salary cap issues have handicapped them. Even without Haley, the Steelers are a .500 football team.
    Twitter @vancemeek "I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory...lasts forever."-Shane Falco