Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Hyping Manziel

Article: Hyping Manziel

Nice to have you back in from the ledge, Freeland, and causing some giggles.

Can't help you with Johnny Football. Seen him a few times (OK, kinda exciting, but what do I know?), but my impression after listening to the 'experts' concurs with yours. 2nd to 3rd round talent. And yes, Heisman, Schmeisman.

Also under the impression that Teddy Bridgewater is the QB we should be discussing, but again, what do I know? I do know that the legend of Brett Favre should never be used in conjunction with any punk coming outta college. Suck on that bitter old Packer fans! Haha!

Johnny Manziel, IMO, is not a top five who will be a top five pick. I saw him make throws that were NFL-type throws against Alabama. I do believe that there are players that GMs fall in love with every year for crazy reasons that allow them to ignore the tape. I saw some Twitter stuff about Blaine Gabbert and how GMs fell in love with him from watching the Gruden Camp video. The yellow pants at Mizzou must have masked the urine produced from any pass rush. After seeing Blaine's career, it's crazy enough to be true.

The truth about Manziel is what everyone should be fear. The injury. He is a 5' 10" guy listed as 6' who has an average to slightly above that arm who breaks the pocket too early and may not be able to take the ball from center. So, he is a smaller version of Vick without the arm. Still, the fear that some GMs will have is that he will be able to bring that excitement from the college field to the NFL field. The fear of missing out on that will be why Johnny Manizel is now named on the this as Future Browns Quarterback Johnny Manziel up until the draft. I think FBQB Manziel will work as an acronym.
    Last edited by Rich Gapinski; 01-09-2014 at 07:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    I think the Favre comparisons begin and end with his liver. He is as great a risk of drinking his career away, suggesting that Green Bay mifht be the best place for him to land.

Blog Entries
    I should add that I have never seen him play and have only seen highlights, but those highlights show late throws over tha middle. Born to be oopsy.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottDCP View Post
    Born to be oopsy.
    I'm getting that tattooed on my arm

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Gapinski View Post
    The truth about Manziel is what everyone should be fear. The injury. He is a 5' 10" guy listed as 6' who has an average to slightly above that arm who breaks the pocket too early and may not be able to take the ball from center. So, he is a smaller version of Vick without the arm. Still, the fear that some GMs will have is that he will be able to bring that excitement from the college field to the NFL field. The fear of missing out on that will be why Johnny Manizel is now named on the this as Future Browns Quarterback Johnny Manziel up until the draft. I think FBQB Manziel will work as an acronym.
    I've watched him a fair amount and I think you have it right. Aside from his slight body and short stature, his problem in the NFL will be discipline. Can he play under center? Can he sit in the pocket long enough to run the offense? He does a good job of reading the whole field and going through whatever progressions Sumlin's offense has. With regard to that, at least, he's ahead of Griffin. But he'll want to bolt. He may have to learn the hard way that they're a lot faster and hit a lot harder in the NFL.

He really needs to go to the right team, the right offense, to have a true chance at success.
    Non-performing performance artist

I pity the team that takes Manziel.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    I'm getting that tattooed on my arm
    On this arm or the other one?

Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!

Blog Entries
    As Rich pointed out, the Browns are widely believed to be the team most likely to draft Johnny Manziel at #4. Last year, Andy wrote basically the same article about the guy they took at #6, Barkevious Mingo.

[Typing ends. Long pause.]

...so, I'm glad I bought beer last night.