Page 1 of 90 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL 2014 General Discussion

NFL 2014 General Discussion

The Falcons made their first roster moves today. They're putting their corners in the hands of kids. Desmond Trufant and Robert Alfrod were drafted in the first and second round respectively last season and now they're the starting corners. Asante Samuel and his fat contract are out. And linebacker Stephen Nicolas, who lost his job to two undrafted free agents, is also gone.

Both are cap moves. Falcons will save around $7 million this season, says the AJC. But this move is also directly related to the Falcons trying out the bottom end of their roster once last season was lost. They evidently felt comfortable with Joplo Bartu and Paul Worrilow as backups at linebacker.

No question they'll be looking at linebackers either in the draft or free agency, maybe both. But they've already said they don't plan to be major players in free agency this year. I'm not sure this is the last of the roster cuts, though.
    Non-performing performance artist

From PFT: Wilson and Carroll plan to win multiple Super Bowls in Seattle http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ls-in-seattle/

This is really shocking to me. A team that just won the Super Bowl saying that they think they can win another? Has this ever happened before? I was expecting something along the lines of 'I hope you enjoy this one cause I'm pretty sure it's the last. It was a lot more work than I thought and I just don't think I have another one in me. I'll just be coasting from here on out'. Great job PFT.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    From PFT: Wilson and Carroll plan to win multiple Super Bowls in Seattle http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ls-in-seattle/

This is really shocking to me. A team that just won the Super Bowl saying that they think they can win another? Has this ever happened before? I was expecting something along the lines of '[bold]I hope you enjoy this one cause I'm pretty sure it's the last. It was a lot more work than I thought and I just don't think I have another one in me. I'll just be coasting from here on out[/bold] £'. Great job PFT.
    I thought Tampa Bay proved you can't come right out and demonstrate that move.
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!

What's interesting about this particular situation is that Seattle is young and in cap heaven with Wilson being so inexpensive. So folks believe they'll be doing this season again shortly. No question they'll be a contender for a few years, but the terrible thing about the NFL is injuries. Seattle had some, but other important teams had it worse. Injuries are the horrible wildcard.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    What's interesting about this particular situation is that Seattle is young and in cap heaven with Wilson being so inexpensive. So folks believe they'll be doing this season again shortly. No question they'll be a contender for a few years, but the terrible thing about the NFL is injuries. Seattle had some, but other important teams had it worse. Injuries are the horrible wildcard.
    Cap heaven lasts 1 more year. They have to lock up Wilson, Sherman and Thomas. The great drafting will come to roost in that those linebackers will be offered expensive deals by desperate teams (there is always a Miami). So will the backup corners and Chancellor. The Seahawks exploited Market inefficiencies that might no longer be there as more teams copy them. For example, 3-4 Ds have become less effective as more teams switch to it, making players that fit it scarcer. Big rangy DBs will be all the fad now. The Pats moved to a 2 TE set when WRs got to expensive, and then moved to a Heavier run scheme as the league adapted to pass catching TEs. In the salary cap era, its about getting the most bang for your buck.

The windows are that small in the NFL, with teams getting smarter.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Ron Zook to the Packers. I think this is funny/odd because Zook's singular talent is recruiting, not coaching.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    Ron Zook to the Packers. I think this is funny/odd because Zook's singular talent is recruiting, not coaching.
    I'm not saying this to disagree, because you're right that recruiting was his only discernible college coaching talent, but when Florida hired him, he was the DC of the Saints. He's also been a DB coach, and was the ST coordinator for a couple of years in Pittsburgh under Cowher.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iwatt View Post
    Cap heaven lasts 1 more year. They have to lock up Wilson, Sherman and Thomas. The great drafting will come to roost in that those linebackers will be offered expensive deals by desperate teams (there is always a Miami). So will the backup corners and Chancellor. The Seahawks exploited Market inefficiencies that might no longer be there as more teams copy them. For example, 3-4 Ds have become less effective as more teams switch to it, making players that fit it scarcer. Big rangy DBs will be all the fad now. The Pats moved to a 2 TE set when WRs got to expensive, and then moved to a Heavier run scheme as the league adapted to pass catching TEs. In the salary cap era, its about getting the most bang for your buck.

The windows are that small in the NFL, with teams getting smarter.
    Umm, I have to disagree.

We went to a run heavy scheme because:

1. Gronk was hurt and out most of the year;
    2. AH is in jail; and
    3. The WR corps is very young. While developing, it could not carry the offense.

We went run heavy because we had too. If Gronk had been healthy and AH wasn't a criminal, we would have stayed 2 TE heavy.
    "False Start everyone but the center." Gene Steretore. Pats vs Jets. 12/24/16.

For those that didn't see...

Michael Sam, All-American DE at Missouri, SEC Defensive Player of the Year, and 3rd rd plus OLB prospect came out as gay "officially" to the public today. He had told his teammates at Mizzou in August.
    "Make sure you come to the game day chat to see my feeble attempts at typing there, it's abhorrent. "
    or as gobig calls it "Ragaring"

good for him.