Page 79 of 90 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL 2014 General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by iwatt View Post

That scream you hear is the thousand voices of smart alecky fantasy fans who wasted a spot stashing Josh Gordon, believing the NFL and King Roger would kowtow to public pressure. to
    Any fantasy person who screams is stupid. There was a point to where Gordon was worth a risk, since the other options at the same spot where Gordon was drafted were also far from sure things. I took him in a league last night. Late. With this news, I'll do what I'd have likely eventually done with that 13th rd pick anyway- I'll drop him and pick up someone else.
    "I will never give a motivational speech to my players. If I have to motivate you, I will fire you."

-Chuck Noll

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Williams View Post

Any fantasy person who screams is stupid. There was a point to where Gordon was worth a risk, since the other options at the same spot where Gordon was drafted were also far from sure things. I took him in a league last night. Late. With this news, I'll do what I'd have likely eventually done with that 13th rd pick anyway- I'll drop him and pick up someone else.
    Let me put this another way. Smart fantasy owners aren't screaming because the risk was built into his price, and they built a contingency plan around drafting him. The only people who took Gordon relatively early were those in high-stakes leagues, because if the goal is to win a large tournament, your lineup has to stand out. In those cases, the 15-20% chance that he wasn't going to miss all 16 games was worth it to them. Considering that the odds of winning are so small, taking a slim chance on a legit difference-maker gets you closer to winning a mega-tournament than playing it safe with someone like a Brian Hartline or an Anquan Boldin.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Williams View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetbdw View Post
    Let me put this another way. Smart fantasy owners aren't screaming because the risk was built into his price, and they built a contingency plan around drafting him. The only people who took Gordon relatively early were those in high-stakes leagues, because if the goal is to win a large tournament, your lineup has to stand out. In those cases, the 15-20% chance that he wasn't going to miss all 16 games was worth it to them. Considering that the odds of winning are so small, taking a slim chance on a legit difference-maker gets you closer to winning a mega-tournament than playing it safe with someone like a Brian Hartline or an Anquan Boldin.
    You're taking 'talking to yourself' to a whole new level.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    You're taking 'talking to yourself' to a whole new level.
    Ha! I didn't even realize that I had my alter ego speaking with my real ego. Usually I'm much more up front when speaking to myself.
    "I will never give a motivational speech to my players. If I have to motivate you, I will fire you."

-Chuck Noll

Jay Glazer@JayGlazer 7m
    Breaking: Raiders players have been informed that the team is making the switch at QB and starting Derek Carr over Matt Schaub

6. Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    Jay Glazer@JayGlazer 7m
    Breaking: Raiders players have been informed that the team is making the switch at QB and starting Derek Carr over Matt Schaub
    Workin' on mysteries without any clues

7. /sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    Jay Glazer@JayGlazer 7m
    Good, smart move. Kid had looked much better than Schaub did.

Interesting tid bit: Carr is the only rookie taken in this year's draft who will start week 1.

9. Quote Originally Posted by SpartaChris View Post
    Good, smart move. Kid had looked much better than Schaub did.

Interesting tid bit: Carr is the only rookie taken in this year's draft who will start week 1.
    I assume you mean "only rookie QB"...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Sullivan View Post
    I assume you mean "only rookie QB"...
    Yeah, I suppose I didn't need to include the "Taken in this year's draft" part.