Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we seeing Stafford take the next step?

Are we seeing Stafford take the next step?

Matt Stafford has looked sharp so far this off season. He is accurate and looks like his control of the offense is vastly improved. The connection to Megatron looks phenomenal and could be exciting for years to come. Peyton Manning was asked last year which young QB had what it took to become one of the leagues elite and he said Stafford, now I know that Stafford has a friendship with the Manning family but does that mean that Peyton wasn't giving a truthful evaluation? I don't know I might be getting too excited and I know it's early and I know the Lions still need a lot of depth before we are contenders (our first team looks good in the pre-season but once their out it gets ugly fast) I think we could be seeing the next QB in the discussion of the leagues elite franchise QBs.
    "Last year, we gained respect. This year, we want fear." - Ndamukong Suh.

The journey is long. We're getting there. The Lions will score some points this year. We'll be fun to watch for the first time since Barry bailed out.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrGoHome View Post
    The journey is long. We're getting there. The Lions will score some points this year. We'll be fun to watch for the first time since Barry bailed out.
    It's sad but true. We can actually get excited to watch the games. Side note I think we could surprise the bears in week 1

I'm watching the replay of the Lions-Broncos game right now and I'm really impressed with Stafford's accuracy. He's got a good touch on the ball. The TD to Megatron and the near TD to Pettigrew were perfect throws and he hit Burleson in a really tight window. His dump-offs to Best were hitting in stride allowing Best to gain good YAC.

But more than Stafford, I'm impressed with the front 4 on D. Those guys seemed to be setting up camp in the backfield on every play. No sacks, but consistently in Orton's face.

Quote Originally Posted by illmatc2 View Post
    It's sad but true. We can actually get excited to watch the games. Side note I think we could surprise the bears in week 1
    Beating the Bears I think is definitely doable. Their pass attack could fall to our Dline play. The Bears having a weak Oline and a five step drop most of the time for Cutler.

I love seeing Stafford thread the needle on seam routes down the middle or down the sideline. He is going to be fun to watch I think. As long as Best, Burleson, and/or our TE pull some coverage from Calvin that connection is going to be a good one!

I really like watching the Lions play (wow I did say that!)From what some of the more knowledgeable people on the Lions have said that they lack depth,but so far I really enjoy the first teams on both sides of the ball,Stafford makes plays,megatron is a flat out beast when healthy and that front four on D will do some some damage this year.I dont know how many wins that will translate into this year but I do believe they will be fun to watch and be in more games then people think.
    There is only one immutable law in life - in a gentleman's toilet, incoming traffic has the right of way.
    -Hugh Leonard

Cutler is not going to have a ton of time in the pocket with our front four. God, I hope we DESTROY the Bears. Not smacking on Bears fans, just want to see Martz get his comeuppance. He's like the skid mark that never quite comes out of your boxer shorts. Go away, already.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Love stafford's development so far... even though im a vikings fan, the lions are definitely in my top 4 or 5 teams im rooting for going forward. still a ways to go but definitely a good solid nucleus in place

Cutler got sacked five times in one pre-season game and if the Bears double team and triple team Suh like the other teams have been doing so far Avril and Vanden Bosch are going to have an absolute field day, but we need a pass rush so that Cutler doesn't pick apart the secondary.

Blog Entries
    I think Stafford is going in the right direction. We've been spolied by quick maturation QBs like Marino & Roethlisberger that sometimes taking a couple season to do well like Aikman & Manning did are out of the question. I foresee Motor Matt taking on more of a leadership role with the team and being able to show more of what he can do in those division games.
    "This Game is Not For the Faint of Heart" --Bill Parcells

Facebook.com/BuckeyeRidley