Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Hard Knocks is headed to Atlanta

1. Article: Hard Knocks is headed to Atlanta

Workin' on mysteries without any clues

You get the feeling this is designed to turn the page on last season and redeem it a bit, but this looks like an opportunity to promote Matt Ryan as a star quarterback who's a successor to Manning and Brady, who are entering the twilight of their careers.

The Falcons turned this down last year. They may have felt obligated to the NFL to finally accept. The football side of the organization doesn't want this. The marketing side does.

The response seems to be negative. An AJC columnist wrote a scathing article. Said the team turned itself into a "clown show." The commenters mostly seem to agree with him.

Much ado about nothing, says I.

Quote Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
    The Falcons turned this down last year. They may have felt obligated to the NFL to finally accept. The football side of the organization doesn't want this. The marketing side does.
    Yup. This is a very Arthur Blank move, isn't it? This is for mugs and t-shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Kocsan View Post
    Yup. This is a very Arthur Blank move, isn't it? This is for mugs and t-shirts.
    You'll not find me criticizing Arthur Blank. I moved to Atlanta when the Smiths still owned the team. Now that was bad ownership. Blank has really turned the organization around. I'd say it's now a model outfit.

Every team has to do Hard Knocks eventually. I think the Falcons simply accepted that this is their turn to bite the bullet. I think any criticism is unwarranted. I don't think it's going to disrupt things as much as the football people and a hysterical columnist fear. And I don't think the organization is whoring itself.

It's something that each team needs to do and, having turned it down last season, I suspect the Falcons felt league pressure to accept this year.
    Non-performing performance artist

I didn't really mean it as a criticism, just that Blank actively markets his franchise in ways other owners don't, so it seems to me to have his fingerprints on it.

It will be good to see Mike Smith get some publicity, I feel like most fans outside of Atlanta don't really know much about him. I've been in quite a few meetings with him and have always come out with the same impression, he's a ridiculously nice guy. Of course there's a chance that doesn't hold true outside of a production meeting but I doubt it. Unfortunately that might be a little boring on TV, I guess that depends on how it's cut.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    It will be good to see Mike Smith get some publicity, I feel like most fans outside of Atlanta don't really know much about him. I've been in quite a few meetings with him and have always come out with the same impression, he's a ridiculously nice guy. Of course there's a chance that doesn't hold true outside of a production meeting but I doubt it. Unfortunately that might be a little boring on TV, I guess that depends on how it's cut.
    Here's to hoping they do the man justice. Smith has always seemed like a solid guy.
    Workin' on mysteries without any clues

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    He likes being anonymous. Apparently, when Hard Knocks did a team on which he was an assistant, he hid from the cameras.

I think he is genuinely a good guy. There's no mask, he couldn't keep it up for all these years.
    Non-performing performance artist

Well...if it can help the Bengals after a disastrous season, then maybe it can help the Falcons.