Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Article: HOF Coach Chuck Noll Has Passed Away

  1. #1
       
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Trumpetbdw's basement
    Posts
    2,079

    Article: HOF Coach Chuck Noll Has Passed Away

    "I will never give a motivational speech to my players. If I have to motivate you, I will fire you."

    -Chuck Noll

  2. #2
       
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,544
    A great loss.

    For some reason, he never gets his due as one of the all-time greats. What he accomplished was fantastic. He took a sad sack organization and turned it into the very best in the NFL.

  3. #3
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hidden Valley Lake
    Posts
    259
    I think his lack of recognition stems from two things: one, his greatness occurred before the modern era with free agency, etc, and two, many (most?) fans don't even know whom he was because he'd been out of the picture for so long.

    RIP Coach Knoll. I never liked you or the Steelers, but I know great when I see it.

  4. Brian does a nice job breaking down the pre-Knoll Steelers. Freeland did an even more in-depth piece a couple years ago. I was unable to locate the thing. a little help here, Andy?

    RIP Coach Noll. I hated those Steelers teams, but you, sir, were a fantastic leader.

  5. #5
       
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Trumpetbdw's basement
    Posts
    2,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Sullivan View Post
    Brian does a nice job breaking down the pre-Knoll Steelers. Freeland did an even more in-depth piece a couple years ago. I was unable to locate the thing. a little help here, Andy?

    RIP Coach Noll. I hated those Steelers teams, but you, sir, were a fantastic leader.
    Here it is...

    http://footballpros.com/content.php/...sports-history

    I think Noll is underrated for the same reason many coaches get underrated-- because he coached so many great players.

    However, in the case of Noll, he drafted and developed every single one of those great players. I'm sure I'm missing one or two, but really, the only significant contributor that Noll did NOT draft was Andy Russell. Russell became a borderline HOF candidate himself, and eventually made 7 Pro Bowls. His first pro bowl came in 1968, the year before Noll, and one of the first things that Noll did was sit Russell down, and tell him he played the wrong way. Noll's fix allowed Russell to become one of the leaders of the first two championship teams, and led to 6 consecutive pro bowls from 1970-1975.

    The great players that Noll coached should be a HUGE part of his legacy, and not something that allows us to scrutinize his own greatness.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Brian Williams View Post
    Here it is...

    http://footballpros.com/content.php/...sports-history

    I think Noll is underrated for the same reason many coaches get underrated-- because he coached so many great players.

    However, in the case of Noll, he drafted and developed every single one of those great players. I'm sure I'm missing one or two, but really, the only significant contributor that Noll did NOT draft was Andy Russell. Russell became a borderline HOF candidate himself, and eventually made 7 Pro Bowls. His first pro bowl came in 1968, the year before Noll, and one of the first things that Noll did was sit Russell down, and tell him he played the wrong way. Noll's fix allowed Russell to become one of the leaders of the first two championship teams, and led to 6 consecutive pro bowls from 1970-1975.



    The great players that Noll coached should be a HUGE part of his legacy, and not something that allows us to scrutinize his own greatness.
    For my fellow lazy-asses - here is a pictorial I stole from Andy's article. It sums up the Steelers pre- and post-Noll. They were pretty terribad back in the day.

    Workin' on mysteries without any clues

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Williams View Post
    Here it is...

    http://footballpros.com/content.php/...sports-history

    The great players that Noll coached should be a HUGE part of his legacy, and not something that allows us to scrutinize his own greatness.
    Tony Dungy certainly belongs on that list. Not necessarily as a player but for what he accomplished afterwards.

    Yes, even though Chuck Noll was born in Cleveland, played for the Browns, and coached for the Steelers... All prejudices aside, I still think he was one of the better coaches in the NFL.

    From an interview taken some time ago...

    http://www.steelergridiron.com/histo...interview.html

    Who do you most admire in football, past or present? Why?
    The one that influenced me the most is Paul Brown. His success and his control and his ability to teach.

  8. #8
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Elkton, MD
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Numbers View Post

    Tony Dungy certainly belongs on that list. Not necessarily as a player but for what he accomplished afterwards.

    Yes, even though Chuck Noll was born in Cleveland, played for the Browns, and coached for the Steelers... All prejudices aside, I still think he was one of the better coaches in the NFL.

    From an interview taken some time ago...

    http://www.steelergridiron.com/histo...interview.html
    Good point, and add John Fox and Bud Carson (among others) to that list.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

    -Marion Motley

  9. #9
    Enquirer Sports@ENQSports 55m
    From the @Enquirer archive: Dave Lapham discusses Chuck Noll's career after his 1991 retirement http://cin.ci/1lmFpme

  10. #10
       
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    New Orleans--Spain--Cleveland
    Posts
    2,239
    Some obituaries of note:

    --Bill Livingston of the Plain Dealer (Cleveland)

    --The New York Times

    --Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •