Thread: I am creeping closer to certainty that the Browns picked the right coach:

Blog Entries

I am creeping closer to certainty that the Browns picked the right coach:

In this SI interview, he says the things I believe.

He also sounds like the other coaches in Buffalo last year brought him frustration, which I like because that is also something I believe.
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!

That's a really good article. Provides a lot of detail to back up some things that I said about Pettine after the draft. (At #10. I wasn't right about Brett Smith, apparently.)
    Follow me on twitter @kocsan.

3. Pettine:

“My point was, I hope we’re not drafting fourth again anytime soon. Let’s look at the model. If you don’t have that guy, then you need to build it like Seattle did, like San Francisco did. Get a guy with some unique traits, but first and foremost, he’s not going to lose the game for you. Building a great defense and offensive line so we can run the ball—the quarterback’s going to look good because you’re not going to be in third-and-8, you’re going to be in third-and-4. Percentage-wise you’re going to convert more. Then ask the guy to make a couple plays with his feet, complete a fourth-quarter comeback half the time. Next thing you know, you look up and you’re pretty damn good.”
    I said it about Seattle in 2009, San Francisco in 2010 and Cleveland in 2013: They were/are a coach and a QB away from being very, very good. maybe the Browns found their guy(s).

I'm not buying Manziel nor am I selling. Pettine? Might be a strong buy come October. I hope so. I know a few browns fans. Those guys deserve better than they have gotten since the fracnhise's return.
    Workin' on mysteries without any clues

So a year is in the books. What do you guys think of him now? Would be curious to see an update on this thread since its been a year now. My personal opinion is that hes a good coach. Plays the media well and is well liked from a player perspective. Knows his defense and is learning on the offensive side. There could be improvement but if it ain't broke don't fix it is my motto. We need some stability with this team so I say leave him alone for at least another year or two. I'm convinced the Maziel project was not all his doing regarding when he started etc...

Blog Entries
    I think your team has good coach. Mine might, now, too.
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!