Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I know it may be too early for some, but pick a team to win SB, w/caveats if you must

I know it may be too early for some, but pick a team to win SB, w/caveats if you must

DEN vs NO, with DEN winning it all

aw why do I have to justify anything?

and more crazy thoughts:

I think JAC will go 7-9 this season

CLE will have a tough time getting to 4-12

a surprise PO team? how about ATL? maybe not much of a surprise? GB? again too easy to pick...

ok how about... BUF? too far to the left?

alright then TB it is, though I really think they maybe are a year away...

WHAT? TC hasn't even started, you can't make up your mind?

oh just pick someone, and you're allowed to change your pick once a month, starting in SEPT
    that right OCT, NOV, DEC, JAN you can change your pick, but you can leave it 'as set in stone'

I'm still open to what I would pick, maybe name your playoff teams or most improved (surprise) team,
    can't fail to disappoint team, early flame - burnt out by DEC team....

just some thoughts for this upcoming season
    Last edited by xmenehune; 06-27-2014 at 02:46 AM.
    it's not just black and white, there's some grey areas to go over ...

Blog Entries
    Denver, provided Von Miller plays into and throughout the Super Bowl. Otherwise Arizona because I don't trust the Chicago, Green Bay, New Orleans, San Diego, New England, or Philly defenses.
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!

San Francisco. They've been knocking on the door for three years in a row, I think this year they finally open it.
    Follow me on twitter @kocsan.

Blog Entries
    I am pretending for the moment that san Francisco and Seattle don't exist while I look for plausible failures on their parts. With the departure of The Weakest Link and a new Strong Safety they look tough to beat.
    Go, Flaming Thumbtacks!

Blog Entries
    NFC:

The 49ers are starting to show the wear and tear, and they would need another monster season of Justin Smith to be the same defense we've been used to. They need ball control to dominate. They've done great at drafting LBs and RBs for future depth, but I don't see were the depth for the Lines

The Seahawks: lost a lot of DL depth. That cost them in 2012, and was their greatest strength in 2013. Great secondaries mean little without DLs. And without that dominant DL I'm not sure they can play from behind, holding against the run

My dark horse is Arizona, thinking that the huge upgrade at OL will make up for their fall in the LB corps.

As a fan I can't really bring up the Bears, because I think they fixed ther DL issues, but I might be seeing through fan eyes.

AFC:

Not Denver. It took a historic season by Manning to cover up the holes in that roster.

I'm thinking the Pats, because why not. They got better at D, and those WRs have a year of highly competitive football under their belt (Amy made that point cogently every week of the season, that playing Dobson and Co. was for the future).
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Blog Entries
    @iwatt: Thanks for the props!

As for my pick, I said it in May and will stick with it. Pats 31, Giants 7. MVP: Revis.
    "False Start everyone but the center." Gene Steretore. Pats vs Jets. 12/24/16.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    @iwatt: Thanks for the props!
    No problem. Just want to add that in 2012 Alshon Jeffery didn't play that well, but he got his reps in and that defintely showed in his 2013 breakout year. Expect one of the pats WRs to have a banner year as well. That offense is historically complex, and they had to learn that NFL DBs are a completely differnt animal. Paraphrasing a Marshal Faul and Peyton Manning exchange after a pick, during his rookie year

Manning: "I didn't think he could get there."
    Faulk: "It's the NFL, they can all get there."

Aside from Aj Green, I don't remember a rookie WR playing well in his first season. Showing flashes, yes (Julio Jones, Cobb, etc..). But it's a complteley different animal, WR in the NFL versus college.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Boldin had put up big time numbers as a rookie. Green had the best season since Boldin. Not sure about since Green.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    Boldin had put up big time numbers as a rookie. Green had the best season since Boldin. Not sure about since Green.
    I had my suspicions on Boldin. The kid from the Chargers last year had a great year as well, but that might just be that he came in strong at the end and they made the playoffs. I didn't watch the Bolts too much
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Among the many rookies with excellent first years, Titus Young looked positively dangerous for Detroit before completely losing his mind in year two.