Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 180

Thread: Bengals Salary Cap Update

  1. #11
       
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    1,330
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    $4.56M per year for Gresham? I'd sign that deal in a heartbeat if I were the Bengals.
    Really? Rather than keep a MJones in a year if he continues to progress to the point that he can take some heat off of AJ on the other side?

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Zins30 View Post
    Really? Rather than keep a MJones in a year if he continues to progress to the point that he can take some heat off of AJ on the other side?

    under $5M per year (for the next 5 years) for a TE who can block and catch 60 passes a year?


    A deal like that, combined with Burfict's relatively cheap deal, I don't think takes a Marvin Jones extension off the table at all.

    That said, you probably want to go WR early next year to keep depth up.

    BJGE is coming off the books. Geathers is coming off the books. Newman is coming off the books. And the salary cap is continuing to rise.

  3. Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    Depends. I think they can get a deal done in the next week if they wanted. They have the money despite what is reported.

    If they get to March though, I think he's gone.


    We really have no good gauge on what the Bengals think about Gresham.
    We know they drafted Tyler Eifert in the first round last year. Regardless of what they may have said publicly about that pick, that says a lot.

    I imagine over the course of the season they're going to transition most of the responsibilities over to Eiftert, and if 85 has a good year Gresh is a goner.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
    We know they drafted Tyler Eifert in the first round last year. Regardless of what they may have said publicly about that pick, that says a lot.

    I imagine over the course of the season they're going to transition most of the responsibilities over to Eiftert, and if 85 has a good year Gresh is a goner.
    I don't put much stock in that. They went into the 2013 draft wanting another playmaker in the passing game whether it was a WR, TE, or RB. They ended up getting both a TE and a RB. Just as easily could have been a WR and RB.

    I don't think the selection of Eifert had anything to do with Gresham, but rather the fact that they wanted a playmaker and Eifert was clearly the best one on the board.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    I don't put much stock in that. They went into the 2013 draft wanting another playmaker in the passing game whether it was a WR, TE, or RB. They ended up getting both a TE and a RB. Just as easily could have been a WR and RB.

    I don't think the selection of Eifert had anything to do with Gresham, but rather the fact that they wanted a playmaker and Eifert was clearly the best one on the board.
    It is also insurance if Gresh gets an offer that they don't think they can match. Gresh is in MJ/Collins territory. They like him, but he's not the team core that they need to sign like Dalton, Atkins, Green, and Burfict. They can give him a good contract, but they aren't going to be able to top what some other team might want to give him. If he decides to move on, well, we have been prepared for that. If he stays, we have a great two headed TE tandem. Win/Win.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Oldcat View Post
    It is also insurance if Gresh gets an offer that they don't think they can match. Gresh is in MJ/Collins territory. They like him, but he's not the team core that they need to sign like Dalton, Atkins, Green, and Burfict. They can give him a good contract, but they aren't going to be able to top what some other team might want to give him. If he decides to move on, well, we have been prepared for that. If he stays, we have a great two headed TE tandem. Win/Win.
    Agreed... thats what I was thinking

  7. #17
    if this is accurate, take out Burfict's deal and the Bengals should be roughly $12M still under the cap?


    http://overthecap.com/calculator/cincinnati-bengals/

  8. #18
    a few notes:

    Bengals save $2.3M by cutting Green-Ellis

    Bengals save about $1.1M by keeping Sean Porter over Danieal Manning
    Last edited by Bengals1181; 09-01-2014 at 07:47 PM.

  9. #19
    Per Overthecap Bengals are sitting at $11.7M cap space. That number includes practice squad (9 players), the 2 currently on IR, and McCarron on the NFI. Bengals are currently #6 in teams with the most cap space. Incredible when the Bengals have been able to lock up so many core players.

    http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

  10. #20
    Not sure where to put this, but I don't think the JJ Watt deal does any other teams any favors. 16.5M a year in new money over the new 6 years is a huge amount of money for a non QB. I understand he is singularly dominant, but that just gives another stratospheric number for agents to point to. We are paying less than that per year for Geno and Burfict combined.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •