Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Zone Blitz: New Beginnings, Men of Steel, and Your Preseason Week 3 Open Thread

Article: Zone Blitz: New Beginnings, Men of Steel, and Your Preseason Week 3 Open Th

"I will never give a motivational speech to my players. If I have to motivate you, I will fire you."

-Chuck Noll

fellas, its early, but what are you hearing about Bell/Blount possibly missing time?

3. Hank Goldberg says the overabundance of flags is affecting the way the bookies in Vegas are setting their lines.

All those penalty flags that have been thrown around for the first two weeks of the NFL preseason aren't just making fans mad, they're causing headaches in Las Vegas.

Through two weeks, NFL officials have thrown 104 flags for defensive holding, 70 for illegal use of the hands and 55 for illegal contact, according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune. That's 229 free first downs for opposing offenses.

The flag throwing has gotten so out of hand that it's now having a consequence the NFL probably didn't intend: It's affecting bookies in Vegas.

More first downs means longer drives, which theoretically means a team has a better chance of scoring points. That's led to something in Week 3 of the preseason that nationally renowned sports handicapper Hank Goldberg can't remember ever seeing in his life: Every game has a point total over 40.

That means if you're betting the over/under on a game this week, you're going to see some high point totals.

"This is a reaction to the defensive penalties that have been prolonging scoring drives," Goldberg said.

Even with the artificially high point totals in place for Week 2 -- where 14 of the 16 games had points totals over 40 -- the over was still hit 10 times. The Vegas reaction has been to go even higher.

Hammerin' Hank, who offered gambling insight at ESPN for over 20 years, says what's happening this week is a Vegas oddity, "I've never seen where every game is over 40," Goldberg said.

With the numbers so high, this might not be the week to bet, "What [Vegas] is saying is that they're getting hurt, so they're raising the number," Goldberg said. "They're not in it to lose money."
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...erunder-oddity

10 of 16 games hit the over last week? In the freaking preseason? Wowzers.

Blog Entries
    Pittsburgh took a huge hit in the gut. Is this better or worse than Decastro's leg going 2 years ago?

5. How cool is it to be Vontaze Burfict right about now? Pretty darn cool.

Burfict inked a four-year $20 million extension that will net him a cool $9.75 million this season alone.

Not bad for a guy who went undrafted in 2012. This is interesting in that the only reason the Bengals were allowed to extend him now is because he did go undrafted. This means he did not have one of those team-friendly rookie deals spelled out so clearly in the 2011 CBA.

Good for Burfict. I wish the Lions had taken a closer look at him back in 2012. Dude is a monster.
    Workin' on mysteries without any clues

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Sullivan View Post
    How cool is it to be Vontaze Burfict right about now? Pretty darn cool.

Burfict inked a four-year $20 million extension that will net him a cool $9.75 million this season alone.

Not bad for a guy who went undrafted in 2012. This is interesting in that the only reason the Bengals were allowed to extend him now is because he did go undrafted. This means he did not have one of those team-friendly rookie deals spelled out so clearly in the 2011 CBA.

Good for Burfict. I wish the Lions had taken a closer look at him back in 2012. Dude is a monster.
    Good for Burfict, because after his issues in college, this is another sign that perhaps the dude now gets it. I hope he continues to get it, because I love seeing guys who were once knuckleheads mature into productive human beings.

And yes, on the field, he is a monster.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

yea. Draft picks have to wait 3 years before they can get a new deal. Undrafted guys only have to wait 2.

He's definitely earned it.

The scary thing is he's only getting better, and he's still just 23yrs old.

Burfict was never a big knucklehead though. Yea he made some questionable on the field personal fouls, and mouthed off to a coach I believe, but Burfict is a quiet dude off the field who's never been in a lick of legal trouble. His issues were being TOO INTENSE on the football field (and something he still needs to do better at). As well as showing up to the combine out of shape (there were also conflicting reports about a failed combine drug test).

He was more a guy who just needed some guidance and direction than a guy who was a troublemaker who needed to be fixed.
    Last edited by Bengals1181; 08-21-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    fellas, its early, but what are you hearing about Bell/Blount possibly missing time?
    Honestly, I doubt either will miss any time, at least for a while. Blount was not actually charged with anything, so there's really nothing they can get him on. As for Bell, due to the union, this is a league issue, so it's out of the Steelers' hands. And until his entire legal situation has been sorted, the league isn't able to do anything.

Just reference the Josh Gordon case to see how quickly this is likely to get ruled upon.

Eventually, Bell probably gets a hefty fine, assuming that he is found to be anything but not guilty, but that may be about it. And none of that is likely to take place until after this season anyway.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetbdw View Post
    Honestly, I doubt either will miss any time, at least for a while. Blount was not actually charged with anything, so there's really nothing they can get him on. As for Bell, due to the union, this is a league issue, so it's out of the Steelers' hands. And until his entire legal situation has been sorted, the league isn't able to do anything.

Just reference the Josh Gordon case to see how quickly this is likely to get ruled upon.

Eventually, Bell probably gets a hefty fine, assuming that he is found to be anything but not guilty, but that may be about it. And none of that is likely to take place until after this season anyway.

is that official on Blount? I know that's what Jason LaCanfora is claiming, but Schefter has a direct quote from one of the officers talking about that all 3 (so including Blount) were arrested and charged.

I'd imagine Bell gets something even if its just for the DUI.

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post

is that official on Blount? I know that's what Jason LaCanfora is claiming, but Schefter has a direct quote from one of the officers talking about that all 3 (so including Blount) were arrested and charged.

I'd imagine Bell gets something even if its just for the DUI.
    We all have access to the same information, so no, I do not have an inside source that can confirm exactly whom was charged with what.

Yes, Bell likely gets at least a fine, but again, that is likely a long way off, and any disciplinary action would be much more likely for 2015 than 2014.
    "I will never give a motivational speech to my players. If I have to motivate you, I will fire you."

-Chuck Noll