View Poll Results: Who is 2nd most important to the team's success?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chris Canty

0 0%
  • Kenny Phillips

0 0%
  • Osi Umenyiora

0 0%
  • Mathias Kiwanuka

0 0%
  • Justin Tuck

6 60.00%
  • Chris Snee

1 10.00%
  • Shaun O'Hara

0 0%
  • David Diehl

0 0%
  • Brandon Jacobs

0 0%
  • Corey Webster

0 0%
  • Steve Smith

2 20.00%
  • Hakeem Nicks

0 0%
  • Other

1 10.00%

Thread: Who is the 2nd most important player to the Giants?

Who is the 2nd most important player to the Giants?

This is assuming we all agree that Eli is #1.

I'm not asking who is the 2nd best player, but the player who is 2nd most important.

Which player besides Eli, who if you heard today was out for the season, would hurt their chances for this season the most?

I wont pretend to follow the Giants as closely as many of you, it seemed like Aaron Ross's injury was really significant to their defense last season... not that that would be my answer, but I would think he would be in the top 12, no?

This is a really good question. And it's a tough one to pin down because of all of the variables that we know about and even the ones that have yet to be seen.

And I'm gonna pick...Ahmad Bradshaw. I believe he'll be the starter over Jacobs. He's much better than the seventh-rounder we got him at, and unlike Jacobs, is seemingly still able to play without fear of and while being hurt. We know what Jacobs is now, and my gut feeling is that he's not going to be in the game very long because of his style. Bradshaw is more of the prototypical running back build, and he can protect himself from the punishment that Jacobs often subjects himself to.

I don't think we'll be as pass-happy as we were last year (if we are, that likely means we're playing from behind a lot), so I don't expect Smith or Nicks to be in triple-digits in catches this year. Nor do I see a big number of sacks from a single player of the defense, as Perry Fewell's scheme seems to be about spreading the wealth. I can see Jason Pierre-Paul being in the discussion for Defensive Rookie of the Year, though.

But if we keep the chains moving, then things are going well.
    Last edited by GiantsFaninToronto; 08-27-2010 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by souza View Post
    I wont pretend to follow the Giants as closely as many of you, it seemed like Aaron Ross's injury was really significant to their defense last season... not that that would be my answer, but I would think he would be in the top 12, no?
    For the most part, Ross has been a bust due to injuries throughout his career. Yeah, he's pretty danged good when he can stay on the field, and he's by far the fastest DB on the roster, but they know how to play without him, too.

I voted Steve Smith. I think without him emerging last year, the season would have been a lot worse and the draft might have been a bit different for you as well. I do think the G-men have a good bounce back year, hopefully the Cowboys can win against them though.

My vote was between Snee and Tuck. I went with Snee for 2 reasons. I think he is a top-5 guard in the league, and the Giants don't have anyone who could come close to replacing him. If Tuck went down, Kiwi or JPP or Tollefson could fill in and do a pretty good job.

Snee is so important to the run game, which we need to return to form this year.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFaninToronto View Post
    This is a really good question. And it's a tough one to pin down because of all of the variables that we know about and even the ones that have yet to be seen.

And I'm gonna pick...Ahmad Bradshaw. I believe he'll be the starter over Jacobs. He's much better than the seventh-rounder we got him at, and unlike Jacobs, is seemingly still able to play without fear of and while being hurt. We know what Jacobs is now, and my gut feeling is that he's not going to be in the game very long because of his style. Bradshaw is more of the prototypical running back build, and he can protect himself from the punishment that Jacobs often subjects himself to.

I don't think we'll be as pass-happy as we were last year (if we are, that likely means we're playing from behind a lot), so I don't expect Smith or Nicks to be in triple-digits in catches this year. Nor do I see a big number of sacks from a single player of the defense, as Perry Fewell's scheme seems to be about spreading the wealth. I can see Jason Pierre-Paul being in the discussion for Defensive Rookie of the Year, though.

But if we keep the chains moving, then things are going well.
    I like your response. I thnk AB will be a stud this year. He is a beast and BJ is clearly on the decline and will force TC's hand. The problem is they do not run the ball if the Ds plays like they did last year. I voted for Tuck because he is the only play on the D line who is great against the run and the pass. The D is weak in LB, CB (due to AR injury) and ok at SS (no faith in KP yet). That means the DL must DOMINATE. Tuck is their only dominant player!!!!
    - Dom

Justin Tuck
    If he is 100% then he is the leader of the defense with no Pierce, and getting to the QB is the Giants M.O. without Tuck they will struggle