Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: This team just looks bad

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    I know it is pre-season but this defense has been getting marched on just like the end of last season. Maybe it wasn't the coach. Maybe having a weak set of LBs actually matters. If the D is pathetic again Reese needs to go. He needs to stop standing pat is his drafts and move up to draft stud players. He needs to address clear areas of weakness (i.e., LB!!!)

    I am not at all happy about this team.
    Reese needs to go? He had one of the best drafts of all time a few years ago that won you guys a Super Bowl...

  2. #12
    It's also not Jerry Reese's fault that Kenny Phillips can't stay on the field. I don't think he had an injury history in college. Sometimes that's just the way the cookie crumbles in the NFL...

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by StaggerMcTipsy View Post
    I think our problems from last year had little to nothing to do with the talent on the field
    I disagree with you here. Our safeties last year were atrocious. I'm not saying all the blame goes there, certainly Sheridan deserves a lot and Reese deserves some for bringing in guys that haven't panned out (yet, I hope).

  4. #14
    No argument over the bad safety play, but I doubt the secondary had much to do with the fact we were unable to run the ball or get pressure on opposing quarterbacks even though we had multiple Pro Bowlers on each line. How much blame do the safeties deserve for our 41-9 shellacking at home, in our last game in Giants Stadium, by the Panthers? Carolina wasn't even a playoff team last year, and to get beaten that badly, at home, in front of former Giants greats, in the last game in Giants Stadium, when our playoff hopes are on the line? When, by every measure, it should have been a high-intensity emotional game, we lay down and flat-out quit. I can't blame that on the injuries in our secondary.

  5. #15
    I DVR'd a bunch of games in preparation for my for-profit pick 'em league. The G-men look awful. Bad secondary. LB corps is decimated. Losing Pierce will hurt badly. You'd better hope that JPP gives you 2 great years just like Javon Kearse gave the Titans. Then Reese needs to 86 that guy, because he will end up on the injury train. Add an aging O-line and you get a 9-7 year and no playoff berth.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by GBPKS View Post
    Reese needs to go? He had one of the best drafts of all time a few years ago that won you guys a Super Bowl...
    You are clearly a Packer fan and not a Giants fan. If you were a Giants fan you would know that the players who won the SB were: Eli, Tuck, Strahan, Osi, Plax, Jacobs and the grunts on the OL. Guess how many of them were drafted or signed by Reese? 0. In fact Reese has never even drafted a player who has made the pro-bowl due to votes (last year S. Smith made it only because a bunch of started backed out).

    The quote 'one of the best drafts of all time' is the pure definition of hyperbole.
    - Dom

  7. #17
    I think he was referring to Reese's 2007 draft (his first), where all 8 picks ended up making the team. But here's a year-by-year recap of Reese's picks, in reverse order from 2009 (I assume we all still have 2010's picks still fresh in our minds), and going from the first to last pick:

    2009
    Hakeem Nicks WR
    Clint Sintim LB
    William Beatty T
    Ramses Barden WR
    Travis Beckum TE
    Andre Brown RB
    Rhett Bomar QB
    DeAndre Wright CB
    Stoney Woodson CB

    2008
    Kenny Phillips FS
    Terrell Thomas CB
    Mario Manningham WR
    Bryan Kehl OLB
    Jonathan Goff LB
    Andre Woodson QB
    Robert Henderson DE

    2007
    Aaron Ross CB
    SteveSmith WR
    Jay Alford NT
    Zak DeOssie LB
    Kevin Boss TE
    Adam Koets T
    Michael Johnson S
    Ahmad Bradshaw RB

    I don't really think you could say there's any "busts" in there (past the third round I don't consider anyone a bust; most of the time players lower than that are lucky if they make the practice squad). But I think this year's the real test, obviously. If JPP turns out to be as good a player as his potential suggests, Reese is a genius. If not, he's grasping at straws trying to save his job.
    Last edited by StaggerMcTipsy; 09-04-2010 at 02:31 AM.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    45
    So far Sintim and Ramses are both busts. The Safety this year is a bust and Kenny Philips could turn out to be a bust if he does not come back as a round 1 caliber player. The injuries are not JR's fault but they are high picks who will not contribute to the team. In addition, he has not made the moves necessary to build a solid LB core. Other teams have moved ahead of us to get players they wanted (I am particularly thinking about B. Graham who will be a contributor for the eagles from Day 1 unlike JPP). He was not able to keep spags (J. Jones managed to keep J. Garret). The draft is also about getting studs H. Nicks is the only player I see on that long list with the potential to be a perennial pro-bowler and he is a LONG way from achieving that.

    In fact outside of Nicks the 2009 draft looks like an absolute disaster to me. Beatty is the only other player who looks like he will have a legitimate nfl career. We had a ton of extra picks and instead of moving up to get a LB for the future or a stud WR (remember how far crabtree fell?) we use the picks to get Barden. A guy who sat around on the practice squad all of '09 and looks like he will miss most of '10 with an injury.

    I am not saying he is horrible. I am just saying people act like he is one of the top GMs in the league and give him credit for the SB the giants won with Accorsi's players. So far he has proven nothing. Hopefully, this year some of his picks step up.
    - Dom

  9. #19
       
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Toronto, by way of Alliance, Ohio
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by GBPKS View Post
    Reese needs to go? He had one of the best drafts of all time a few years ago that won you guys a Super Bowl...
    A lot of Giants fans are known for looking at ledges and thinking that they would be just great to jump off of.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by StaggerMcTipsy View Post
    I think he was referring to Reese's 2007 draft (his first), where all 8 picks ended up making the team. But here's a year-by-year recap of Reese's picks, in reverse order from 2009 (I assume we all still have 2010's picks still fresh in our minds), and going from the first to last pick:

    2009
    Hakeem Nicks WR
    Clint Sintim LB
    William Beatty T
    Ramses Barden WR
    Travis Beckum TE
    Andre Brown RB
    Rhett Bomar QB
    DeAndre Wright CB
    Stoney Woodson CB

    2008
    Kenny Phillips FS
    Terrell Thomas CB
    Mario Manningham WR
    Bryan Kehl OLB
    Jonathan Goff LB
    Andre Woodson QB
    Robert Henderson DE

    2007
    Aaron Ross CB
    SteveSmith WR
    Jay Alford NT
    Zak DeOssie LB
    Kevin Boss TE
    Adam Koets T
    Michael Johnson S
    Ahmad Bradshaw RB

    I don't really think you could say there's any "busts" in there (past the third round I don't consider anyone a bust; most of the time players lower than that are lucky if they make the practice squad). But I think this year's the real test, obviously. If JPP turns out to be as good a player as his potential suggests, Reese is a genius. If not, he's grasping at straws trying to save his job.
    Looks like we can include Alford as a bust now also. Third round pick doesn't make team 3 years later. Though like Tyree he will always have a place in the hearts of Giants fans.
    - Dom

Similar Threads

  1. Panthers picked a bad year to be bad
    By Andy Freeland in forum NFL
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-17-2011, 08:42 PM
  2. Onion Sports 2010 NFL Team-By-Team Guide
    By SpartaChris in forum NFL
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-08-2010, 05:58 PM
  3. Are route trees consistent team-to-team?
    By msclemons in forum Turk Schonert
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-12-2010, 03:32 PM
  4. Replies: 55
    Last Post: 08-07-2010, 11:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •