Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Response to Cris Collinsworth's appraisal of the Giants

Response to Cris Collinsworth's appraisal of the Giants

In response to his comments on the BS Report and
    Quote Originally Posted by Cris Collinsworth View Post
    We were just talking about the key. Obviously the defense was terrible last year, but there is reason for hope. I loved Jason Pierre-Paul as their top pick. The Giants won the Super Bowl with their front four. If Justin Tuck (my vote for SB MVP) can move back inside on passing downs and some combination of Pierre-Paul, Umenyiora, and Kiwanuka can create pressure outside can go get the QB before that secondary gets exposed, then I think they can compete. I loved the addition of Antrel Rolle, the Giants safety play was pretty bad last year. Rolle will allow them to blitz some out of base coverages because he can cover. He is also tougher than people think. The key may be a healthy Chris Canty. If he is what I think he can be when he gets healthy, the Giants DL could be scary.
    I agree with just about everything said here, but a few things I would like to add:

-Kenny Phillip's injury HAS to be mentioned. He has real star potential, and I think in recent years we have seen how much of an impact a top flight safety can make.

-I wouldn't say Chris Canty is necessarily a key... I would say ANY defensive tackle stepping up would be huge. I can't tell you how many times last year QB's would get pressure on the outside from Osi/Tuck/Kiwanuka only to be able to step up in the pocket because of no interior pressure.

-Finally, I have to mention the offense... Eli had his best statistical year despite a poor season from the running game and a terrible defense not getting him the ball back much (although one might argue that playing from behind all the time may have inflated his stats!). I really look forwarded to a rebound year from Jacobs and Bradshaw along with these young receivers having another year of experience under their belts. Can "Steve Smith 2.0" get any love??

I concur with GiantsFan97. Collinsworth was accurate with his assessment of the Giants last year. The first part of the year all Giants fans were walking on sunshine including myself...then after the Saints showed how to expose or safeties it was a downhill slope. CC Brown was an absolute disaster in the back end of the D. I would rather have my 60 year old father back there. And collinsworth was correct about needing Canty to play well but that goes to everyone in the middle: Cofield, Canty, Bernard, Alford, Joseph. All those players need to get that push and hold their ground so our freakishly talented ends can do what they do best and but the QB on his butt which in turn will allow our DBs to be more aggressive and take shots on INTs which has been an issue for the Giants in the past.

To continue on the post by GiantsFan97 I agree that Steve Smith needs some love. He was incredible last year. He is the leader of our WR group and he did a hell of a job in that role last year. The performance of our WR was the biggest question mark going into last year and they proved to be a strong suit. Manningham, Smith, Nicks, Hixon, and Hagan did a great job and those first three were amazing. I have to imagine they will only get better with another year under their belt. Plus Barden will look to come in and help in the redzone and on those long 3rd down plays. With a new stadium, new D coordinator, and a fresh new season I look for the Giants to be a contender to hoist the Lombardi trophy like they did in 2007.

Hey guys. You make some good points about the Giants this year but don't be too hard on Cris. The post wasn't his be all end all assessment of the Giants for this year. Just someone asked for his quick take on them. That said I'm a big Giants fan myself and also expect huge things this year.

I certainly meant no criticism of Cris... I believe part of why he created the site was to get more in depth knowledge of teams from the people who follow them the closest (the fans!) so I wanted to give him my quick $.02

World's biggest Giant fan here, but I am curious about the optimism here. What about this team excites you about this upcoming season? I have many concerns, starting w/ an aging o-line coming off an awful season, no clear cut #1 RB (that can stay healthy), and a defense that flat out quit last season. Does the team respond again to Coughlin, after dogging it at the end of last year? I don't know, but I am truly skeptical, and see 8-8 as my best guess...hope I'm wrong

Quote Originally Posted by kotar44 View Post
    World's biggest Giant fan here, but I am curious about the optimism here. What about this team excites you about this upcoming season? I have many concerns, starting w/ an aging o-line coming off an awful season, no clear cut #1 RB (that can stay healthy), and a defense that flat out quit last season. Does the team respond again to Coughlin, after dogging it at the end of last year? I don't know, but I am truly skeptical, and see 8-8 as my best guess...hope I'm wrong
    I feel like the team fell off at the end of last year because the offense knew the defense coudln't keep them in the games. O-Line will be slightly younger this year (Beatty is apparently penciled in at LT with Diehl back to LG) and the Giants are rolling in guys that can run the ball effectively when healthy which they are now.

Ad I love love love the hirig of Fewell at DC. In Buffalo he always got that defense playing and as interim head coach got that team fired up at the end of last year.

I don't believe we know for sure about the Beatty/Diehl move, considering Diehl's contract pays him less at guard. Also, the effective runners don't make me comfortable, considering none of them are a #1 back, and they all seem prone to missing games. That having been said, the D is the real worry,and while Fewell may be a better motivator than Sheridan (not saying much), do we have the talent? And I don't believe Fewell's D's in Buffalo were all that impressive, so his scheme alone is not the answer...just so many questions and that has me worried

I think there is pretty good reason to be optimistic about the upcoming season, but that's not to say your concerns aren't valid. I also worry about the O-Line and the running backs staying healthy, but it's not like they were terrible last year... they just weren't up to the standards of the previous 2 seasons.

I am excited that Eli has a great group of young receivers who had impressive years and aren't even in their primes yet.

I think our defense has talent up front, but poor play from the secondary gave them rare chances at the QB. I think Kenny Phillip's and Aaron Ross' healthy return, the emergence Terrell Thomas, and the signing of Rolle make the secondary 1000% better than what was on the field last year.

The biggest questions marks for me: How good are our linebackers? Can we get any pressure from our defensive tackles?

I don't believe we know for sure about the Beatty/Diehl move, considering Diehl's contract pays him less at guard. Also, the effective runners don't make me comfortable, considering none of them are a #1 back, and they all seem prone to missing games. That having been said, the D is the real worry,and while Fewell may be a better motivator than Sheridan (not saying much), do we have the talent? And I don't believe Fewell's D's in Buffalo were all that impressive, so his scheme alone is not the answer...just so many questions and that has me worried

You gotta remember the players. Fewells Buffalo defenses weren't that impressive.... but name me more than 3 players on that defense. He got good things out of an undersized understaffed defense. And out defense still has most of the pieces that made it dominant with Spags here so I think Fewell will have em in top shape quick

My understanding of Fewell's defense is that he plays a lot of Cover-2 and doesn't blitz much... a big change from the past few years. In everything I've read, he is also a high energy guy much like Spags was and will keep the defense motivated.

I can see that scheme working with the pass rushers we have, since they don't need blitz help as long as the coverage is good. I worry about our linebackers a lot though. Boley seems to be good in pass coverage, but Sintim is more of an edge rusher (I really hope he has a breakout year) and we still don't know who our MLB is.