Thread: The Situation

The Situation

I don't know how to feel about our QB situation. At QB1, I have faith in Josh Freeman and feel he's ready to take a big step forward this year and make this HIS team. After that is where I get concerned, but should I? I like Josh Johnson. I think he has some skills and thought he played adequately last year with a very young team. But what if he has to play this year? Are we good enough that we are going to be pushing for a wild card spot if Freeman makes a huge jump and the D plays like it could? You never know in the NFL. So what if we get into a situation where Josh #2 needs to play 2-4 games? Hopefully we don't have to find out, but you know the #2 is one play away from being #1.

To play devils advocate for a second. I don't think there is a veteran out there that I would want to bring in to back up. We got rid of Leftwich because we saw what he can do (more so what he can't). And the fact there's a good chance we are not contending this year anyway so it would be a good way to give Josh #2 some work to see what we got.

I guess the main thing here is, are we contending this year? Who knows. I guess we hope for the best that Freeman stays healthy and everything comes together.
    Your soldiers are nothing, Matrix and I could kill every one of them, at the blink of an eye - you remember that. - Bennett

I am relieved. From the title I was afraid this was about one of those Jersey shore idiots.

I don't see the Buccaneers competing this year. IMO it's all about coaching them up and learning what they do best, and that goes for the entire team not just QBs. I'm normally a proponent of having a young project type player at 3rd string QB, but considering the ages of #1 and #2, that doesn't make sense for the Bucs. I would bring in a vet. A grizzled 15th year guy that's seen it all and is good in the meeting room and locker room (is Steve DeBerg still alive?). He could help Freeman and Johnson prepare and also work with the young WRs.

I agree it would be nice to have a vet who can show the young guys a thing or two, but who's out there? People like Your Kitnas, Brunells and Collins (both of them) are already picked up. So who's out there? Do we need to got to the Greise and Garcia well once again? Maybe Vince Evans!!! Do we still have Jake Plummer????

Maybe I can post something under the Buffalo forums titled Pauly D
    Your soldiers are nothing, Matrix and I could kill every one of them, at the blink of an eye - you remember that. - Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    I agree it would be nice to have a vet who can show the young guys a thing or two, but who's out there? People like Your Kitnas, Brunells and Collins (both of them) are already picked up. So who's out there? Do we need to got to the Greise and Garcia well once again? Maybe Vince Evans!!! Do we still have Jake Plummer????

Maybe I can post something under the Buffalo forums titled Pauly D
    They could always bring back Vinny.
    And I think the Bucs rights to Plummer may have expired, they should probably send a 7th rounder to the Broncos just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeland View Post
    I am relieved. From the title I was afraid this was about one of those Jersey shore idiots.
    Same here. Was going to post the same thing

Me too! I was about to vomit.

Why is everyone always tryin to bring Vinny outta retirement, he's gotta be about 50 now, right? The Bucs are definitely in no position to compete for the next 3-4 years, I like Freeman as the QB of the future but he's definitely has a ways to go.
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

Jeff George is always ready for a comeback, I mean he can throw a ball over a building!!!! I'm sure that equates to championships.

but considering the ages of #1 and #2, that doesn't make sense for the Bucs. I would bring in a vet. A grizzled 15th year guy that's seen it all and is good in the meeting room and locker room (is Steve DeBerg still alive?). He could help Freeman and Johnson prepare and also work with the young WRs.
    They do have this guy, he is just not on the roster but the QB coach, Alex Van Pelt. His numerous experience as a Back-up QB was a reason why the Bucs hired him this year and didn't go get a Veteran QB like you said. They feel they have that presence in their QB coach. Also as for the situtation with the QB's.. Josh is a good backup but no where near at this point a starting QB.. thinking Dixon in Pittsburgh. While I don't see the Bucs making the playoffs, I think Freeman has the potential to make us compete every game and the D is going to be way better this year.I wouldn't be surprised at an 8-8 record though i'm more realistically expecting 6 wins.
    I think next year the Bucs take a MAJOR LEAP and are back contending for the NFC South Crown.
    FPL: 15 comments can save you 15 minutes or more of embarrassing yourself on a bar discussion