Thread: A mix of the old and the new, formationwise...

A mix of the old and the new, formationwise...

Fantasizing about an aggressive offense here...

The old pro-set two back formation with three wides rather than a tight end. Split backfield with Jackson left and Spiller right, Johnson and Parrish left, Evans right. Spiller motions left, into the pattern shy of Parrish, leaving Jackson in an offset tailback position left of the QB, almost guaranteeing no safety help over Evans. Spiller runs a deep corner and Evans runs a go route, Johnson a short cross, parrish a twelve yard cross, Jackson either gets a handoff if the LBs look to backpedal, or stays in to block. Or PArrish motions back to the ball, runs a deep out while Johnson runs a nine yard cross, with both backs starting in the backfield, run/pass and ballcarrier decided by Strong Safety?

Can the o-line hold up long enough for anything to develop?

Getting a little anxious about the season opener. Does it show?

In a larger worldview sorta way, we often hear about how a team with two really good RBs wants to get them both in the game at the same time, but we rarely see them do so effectively. It seems nobody with the possible exception of Sean Payton remembers how to use them as running backs at the same time. Used to happen every week - why is it, I wonder, that the second talented running back either needs to split wide or be a FB? No real confusion for the defense there - the intension is often quite clear from the formation.

You're making me feel nostalgic for my old Nintendo console and Tecmo Bowl. I was unbeatable when I had the Raiders with Bo Jackson and Marcus Allen in the backfield. Absolutely unbeatable.
    Screw you guys, I'm going home.

The two running back formation used to work well, however, the belief today seems to be two divergent strands of thinking:

1) Great backs get better as the game progresses, therefore give your starter all of the touches.

2) Running backs wear down after a couple seasons of 280+ carries.

Kind of at cross purposes here.

Personally, I would love to see the Bills use a two running back set. Lynch and Spiller are very different backs and having them in the backfield at the same time might sow confusion. however, with the Bills O-Line, it may be better to put a guard in the backfield to help Edwards stay alive.