Thread: 2009 2nd Round draft pick Alphonso Smith...Cut him or Keep him?

2009 2nd Round draft pick Alphonso Smith...Cut him or Keep him?

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels has a decision to make in regards to 2009 2nd Round pick Alphonso Smith...Cut him or Keep him?

Smith performed well below expectations after McDaniels traded a 2010 first round pick in the 2009 draft in order to move up and select Smith. After the draft, Smith signed a four-year, $4.08 million contract with a $2.15 million signing bonus. It's not Sam Bradford or Ndamukong Suh money, but is still a lot.

In his rookie season, Smith only had 14 tackles (9 solo, 5 assists), no int's, and no sacks.

Now, I'm not one to recommend cutting a player after one season because players can get much better in their second year after one year of NFL experience. I'll use Mario Williams as my example: 1st pick overall in 2006. He had 4.5 sacks his rookie year. Every NFL pundit killed the Texans for the pick. In Mario's second season, 14 sacks. Ever since, he has been regarded as one of the better pass rushers in the game.

What do you think McDaniels should do about Alphonso Smith?

Cut him. Cox and Thompson, both rookies, already look better than Smith. I had high hopes for Alphonso last year and his college stuff on youtube looks great. But at this point I just don't think he has it. He may get better but he still doesn't have that burst that the other corners do and his tackling form is horrible.

I've never liked trading next year's #1 for this year's #2. Just doesn't make a lot of sense to me and hasn't really worked out recently for either the Broncos or the Panthers (Everette Brown).

You definitely don't cut him yet....give him at least another full season to improve, you can never have too many DBs the guy obviously has talent but its way too soon to cut him b4 his 2nd NFL season
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."