Thread: Cardinals win nfcW

Blog Entries

Cardinals win nfcW

Leinart is a downgrade, which allows Wells to shine. Fitzgerald will be fine. The defense is depleted but still good enough to win the nfcW. I speak from the perspective of a fan and a Niners hater, so these opinions may be slightly skewed. But I think the Cardinals still win the division and could fight for a bye week come playoff time.
    damgenius
    :P hoenix

I think the Cardinals are still good enough to contend for the West but I seriously think that the 49ers win the division this year. I think Smith and Lienart are pretty much even. Lienart had a great role model in Warner to study behind but Smith is a better "student of the game" so the battle of the QB's is a wash. We (SF) have a better defense and a better run offense, we'll be doing much better at controlling the clock this year. I respect the heck out of AZ and the fact that you hate SF but you have to admit that AZ took more steps backwards than forward. Porter signed for the money and has become just a pure pass rushing LB and is [I]terrible[I] against the run. Rhodes is not nearly as disciplined as your old safety was (I'm having a hard time remembering his name right now, I'm sorry). I'm glad that AZ has finally turned the page these last couple years and became a much more competitive team. I like how everyone knocks the West but what other division has sent more teams to the super bowl in the last 10 years?
    “The year we beat Miami in the Super Bowl, ... do you know how many defensive linemen were in our rotation? Nine, and we used them all quite a bit. We just wore the Dolphins out.”

~Bill Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Pattrick View Post
    ...you have to admit that AZ took more steps backwards than forward. Porter signed for the money and has become just a pure pass rushing LB and is [I]terrible[I] against the run. Rhodes is not nearly as disciplined as your old safety was (I'm having a hard time remembering his name right now, I'm sorry). I'm glad that AZ has finally turned the page these last couple years and became a much more competitive team.
    I have to agree here - We (AZ) have a ton of variables that are in flux right now. I am appreciative that some 49ers fans realize that if enough of these variables turn out the way that I hope they will, then the Cards will be knocking on the division door - which could make that week 17 game pretty incredible.

I haven't followed Rhodes too much, but I do know that if he gambles, we are hosed. Why? Because Dominique Rodger-Cromartie already has a gambling problem, and Antrelle Rolle, who showed restraint, is long gone. DRC has insane closing speed, but sometimes he trusts it too much and its goes for 6.

Everyone understands the QB situation and how it transfers pressure to run more effectively. One thing I don't hear enough of is that the Cardinals defense can't afford to give up 20+ as easily as they had previously. Warner and company used to be able to erase a big 1st quarter/half deficit, but points are going to be MUCH harder to come by. Games like the Division round agains the Packers last year are a thing of the past. This defense has to be disciplined, tenacious, and stingy - the question is: can they do it? I like to hope so, but then again thats what fan's do.

If all of these things come together, the Cards will be there at the end. If not, expect the 49ers Spikes/Willis combo to control opponents' short game and their run offense (assuming a healthy Gore) to grind out the points necessary to win.

Rolle!!! THAT was his name. Thank you.

I think DRC is by far the best CB in the west, his coverage skills are fantastic but he's pretty suspect against the run. What are your guys feelings on Darnell Dockett?

I gotta admit that I can't stand him. I've read his twitter messages a couple of times and it just blows me away at how big his ego is (then again, he is a pro-athlete). I hope he gets paid though. Do you think AZ will lock him up long term after this season? Or does he walk?
    “The year we beat Miami in the Super Bowl, ... do you know how many defensive linemen were in our rotation? Nine, and we used them all quite a bit. We just wore the Dolphins out.”

~Bill Walsh

DRC is an incredible athlete, but sometimes it feels like he thinks that he is superman and it ends up being detrimental.

I love Dockett - as a player. But you shouldn't read anything that he writes on twitter, hes an idiot...I followed him for like a week and couldn't stand it anymore! I recognize how he could be easy to hate from another fan's perspective.

I feel like the Cardinals front office has set the precedent with Anquan Boldin - unfortunate as it may be. In 2006 Dockett signed a 5 year $22 Million extension. They feel like he should honor the majority of that offer before they resign him for even more money. Anquan's situation was the same. Back in 2008 he complained that his extension, which I believe he signed in 2005, was already too little. Respectably, Boldin kept coming to work despite his discontent. Dockett will likely do the same. However, generally players in this situation become bitter towards the front office over the course of a year or two. As we saw with Boldin, when this bitterness doesnt fade the only option is a trade or another year of discontent before the athlete leaves via free agency anyway.

Long story short, I HOPE that he is re-signed, but don't expect much to happen this year.

as an aside...with as much trash talkin as Dockett already does, I dont know how Porter is gonna get a word in.

If the Cardinals are in contention, I expect at a barrage of declaratory soundbites before big games from one of these two knuckleheads.

I think the cards minus warner will be overlooked,which of corse is good for them,still a playoff caliber team and I think Wells is ready to have a breakout season
    There is only one immutable law in life - in a gentleman's toilet, incoming traffic has the right of way.
    -Hugh Leonard

Blog Entries
    I really mean it & not because Cris said it but I take the Niners as NFC West Champs; They have been inching toward the Winner's Circle since Mike Singletary came to town & I don't think that the Cards can do it with Matt Leinart; I can't see that happening
    "This Game is Not For the Faint of Heart" --Bill Parcells

Facebook.com/BuckeyeRidley

Blog Entries
    P.S. True dat about Beanie Wells from The Ohio State University!! He'll be able to shine through & get his Game On like he should!
    "This Game is Not For the Faint of Heart" --Bill Parcells

Facebook.com/BuckeyeRidley

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRidley View Post
    I really mean it & not because Cris said it but I take the Niners as NFC West Champs; They have been inching toward the Winner's Circle since Mike Singletary came to town & I don't think that the Cards can do it with Matt Leinart; I can't see that happening
    I think Leinart is going to have a pretty good year, the more I think about it. They finally have a decent O-line (which they didn't when he was the starter), still have good depth at receiver, and a running game that is slowly getting better.

But they won't win the division. It's the 49ers division to lose. And that makes me pretty happy to be able to type that sentence.

~Bill Walsh