Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shocking Headline of the Day

Shocking Headline of the Day

This thread will be more fun on the slower news days, but I figured I'd start this today and likely forget to do it every day. Still, others can chime in if they feel like it.

The concept is to just post a sports headline each day that is least shocking to you. Something that could show up any day or was quite obviously going to occur. I'm looking for the type of headlines that probably shouldn't take up a link at ESPN or SI or Fox Sports and certainly would never be on NBCSports.com because it is the most perfect site (I am NOT above sucking up, I thought we all knew this).

For instance, just from this week:

-Michael Jordan is rich.
    -Jay Cutler is not liked.

Stuff like that....

In meme form, I'm looking for headlines that fit the Nic Cage "Ya Don't Say" meme.
    Last edited by Rich Gapinski; 03-04-2015 at 08:44 AM.
    As a writer, I'm like the last girl at the bar. In the morning, you may regret asking for my services, but I'll get the job done. As long as I don't puke on your floor.

Twitter: @PolishedSports

Today's Shocking Headline of the Day:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...4-car-accident

Why this headline? First, this type of thing always seems to happen when an exciting new hire joins a team. I am expecting the next story about Jimmy to show him kissing babies and helping old ladies across the street. See? He's not that rough and tumble jerk that eventually rubbed people the wrong way in San Francisco.

Now, look at the details of the story. The people that were helped were just involved in a roll-over accident! Surely, any human would at least stop and stare. Every normal crash allows traffic to slow by about 20 MPH and create a traffic jam. Roll-overs often spray debris across more than one lane of traffic and can shut down the road for a while. Jim was on the way to the airport, but it is likely that he had spare time. So did a bunch of other drivers, because, well, it's not every day that a car lands in front of you.

In short, there is always going to be someone that stops and helps in these things. Obviously, Harbaugh should be commended if everything happened exactly as described. Helping people in need is noble thing, but a sports story? I am not so sure that it is. It's more of a story about how a guy saw something weird and was delayed getting to the airport.

After all, when some idiot sophomore quarterback throws a pick in a big situation, is he going to be given the coat off of Jim's back? Probably not, but I am betting he is going to want ear muffs.
    As a writer, I'm like the last girl at the bar. In the morning, you may regret asking for my services, but I'll get the job done. As long as I don't puke on your floor.

3. The fun part when this kind of thing happens is poking around the interwebs to see which websites try to out-ESPN ESPN by over-hyping the story (I see you, MGoBlog).
    Workin' on mysteries without any clues

4. Did the Dolphins sign Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson?

http://national.suntimes.com/nfl/7/7...miami-dolphins

Nope. He is filming a new show called Ballers.
    Workin' on mysteries without any clues

Mark Teixeira "Feel Like A Kid Again"

This is a week old, but because I love me a good "best shape of his life" story. Teix is now Gluten Free!!! 155 games, .280/35/115 Here We Come!!!!!

In a related story, Ryan Howard is fit, healthy, and ready for a career rebirth.
    "I will never give a motivational speech to my players. If I have to motivate you, I will fire you."

-Chuck Noll

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Sullivan View Post
    Did the Dolphins sign Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson?

http://national.suntimes.com/nfl/7/7...miami-dolphins

Nope. He is filming a new show called Ballers.
    Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Williams View Post
    Mark Teixeira "Feel Like A Kid Again"

This is a week old, but because I love me a good "best shape of his life" story. Teix is now Gluten Free!!! 155 games, .280/35/115 Here We Come!!!!!

In a related story, Ryan Howard is fit, healthy, and ready for a career rebirth.
    Yes. The most obvious and predictable Spring Training stories. My tweet from last week:

"Still waiting for the first bounce-back guy in ten years to "not look great" in #MLB #SpringTraining #EricMilton"

Ofelia Singleton@Ofelia_sing 16h16 hours ago
    Homer Simpson almost discovered the Higgs boson before any scientist: Some may refer to The Simpsons as "geniu... http://tinyurl.com/jvjv2gw

9. Workin' on mysteries without any clues

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Gapinski View Post
    Yes. The most obvious and predictable Spring Training stories. My tweet from last week:

"Still waiting for the first bounce-back guy in ten years to "not look great" in #MLB #SpringTraining #EricMilton"
    Apparently Elvis Andrus is a "totally different animal" this year.
    "I will never give a motivational speech to my players. If I have to motivate you, I will fire you."

-Chuck Noll