Thread: Time to Bear Down

Blog Entries

Time to Bear Down

Ok, for the last few months I've been telling anyone who will listen (in other words, talking to myself) not to overlook the possibility of a resurgence of the Chicago Bears as a power in the NFC North. The addition of Julius Peppers, who was so difficult for the Vikings to get blocked last season in Carolina. Jay Cutler with a year under his belt working with his receivers. The replacement of OC Ron Turner with Mike Martz, a guy that has coached QB's in high powered offenses. Brian Urlacher's return. The addition of Chester Taylor, one of last year's best third down backs. The return of Matt Forte to rookie form.
    So what the heck happened? Granted, there were obvious obstacles for the Bears to overcome. The O line was bad last year, and there wasn't much help arriving, other than addition by the subtraction of Orlando Pace. Mike Martz has been known to rely on max protect almost never. Without Tommie Harris returning to form in that Warren Sapp role, the Tampa2 is not as effective.
    So far, the line hasn't gelled, Cutler's getting pressured and he's responded by doing his best Brett Favre impression, and the defense hasn't been dominant.
    There's a long way to go, but the real bullets are going to be flying soon. I still think the talent is there. Have Lovie and the Bears jumped the shark? Or was getting props from a Packer fan the ultimate jinx? C'mon Bears, I was counting on you to maul the rest of the division, especially one B. Lorenzo Favre. Time to Bear down.

Blog Entries
    I expect a more consistent defense than last year. Las year's D was so bad, it had them playing from behind on too many games. The O-line isn't that great (understatement), but I expect that Martz will adjust to reality. But with Urlacher back, even at less than 100%, and with Peppers pass rush covering for the lack of elite cover talent, the team as a whole will look much better.
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Blog Entries
    This looks like an attempted reverse jinx. I hope you are actually right, but the evidence is not there. Preseason may be preseason, but giving up sacks on 20% of pass plays and giving them up in situations where the offense had the blocking advantage 70% of the time is not good.
    The podcast: www.polishguypodcast.blogspot.com

It's a podcast done by a ninja who is Polish!

"I don't believe in a lot of things, but I believe in duct tape."-Miles on "Lost."

twitter: @PguyPodcast

Blog Entries
    O line is killing them on pass protect. But the O line is a unit that can be more than the sum of it's parts. It's up to Martz and the rest of the offensive staff to coach them up. Jay Cutler has also got me worried. What's he on, the all donuts and beer diet? He's got more chins than Norm from Cheers.

Blog Entries
    I'm just hoping that the offensive line woes was because they didn't want to show any of the very cool stuff Tice has come up with...

I know, I know....
    “Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte