Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Roethlisberger Thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
    After the alleged incident and aftermath, there were numerous stories shooting around the internet from TMZ to ESPN.com. Many of these seemed to paint the reception of Big Ben as negative in Pittsburgh, almost opining that the city would rather give him the boot than root for their two-time champion QB another season.

From across the country on the opposite coast, I found it hard to believe that locals hated Big Ben this much, to the point that they'd be willing to plunge into the 2010-11 season with one of my state's patron QB's, Dennis Dixon. So my few questions for locals [what this site is intended for, right?]:

1. Does off-the-field behavior influence your rooting interest in a player?

2. Would you have supported parting ways with Big Ben?

3. What is Big Ben's responsibility as a role model and what is his responsibility as the current face of the franchise?

First of all, I believe Mordeci gets 400 "Whose Line Is It Anyways" points for the first Rae Carruth mention...secondly, great topic and choice of questions Chilly.

1. It depends. Some guys I can't stand because of hot doggin it, some I love for it. A lot of people hate Chad Ochocinco, however, I find him amicable and outgoing, mostly harmless. On the other hand, I think Jared Allen's annoying, but he deserves to celebrate because he's a top 3 DEF player. The off-the-field stuff is a different story though. Guys go to strip clubs, it happens. Getting into fights at strip clubs probably isn't the best thing Vince Young, even if it isn't your fault, or someone is harrassing you, let your boys take care of it, like Michael Vick did at the B-Day Party. Some guys are scum bags, and it's a continuous trend that leads me to stop rooting for them on the field. Cedric Benson, hi, how are ya?!? Ron Artest, Mike Vick, LT...all entertaining and athletic, but I don't want them to succeed partly because I feel it fuels the thought process to their ego that they CAN do whatever they want off the field.

2. Steelers are and always have been my second favorite team/organization. A lot like the Bears, not very tolerant of misbehavior, laziness, and ask Tank Johnson and Cedric Benson, doing whatever you want even if it is on your own time. I wouldn't go as far as to part ways with Big Ben. If he does it again, by all means. Not only is he extremely talented, but Pittsburgh, even despite this, needs to realize how many kids still look up to him as a role model on and off the field. He is the face of the current Steelers, he's won for them, he's played hard for them, so not that the organization owes him anything, but just realize it's bigger than this one incident, as well as the fact that him staying at QB there is bigger than football.

3. Charles Barkley I think has a very valid answer to this question. Times have changed, but I do think it's unfair sometimes that athletes have to act a certain way. First of all, this is America. Secondly, just because someone's a really good basketball player does not make them a senator, policeman, fireman, or governor. Having said that, OBVIOUSLY you can't just do whatever you want, especially if it's against the law (Hello PacMan), drugs I'm a little more lenient on, because intelligent people like Bill Mahr are advocators of smoking weed, and as long as you're not harming anyone in the process, by all means, continue. But when you are involved in dogfighting, armed robberies, murders, etc, yeah, then as a role model who is on ESPN constantly, I'm gonna go ahead and say you shouldn't put yourself in a situation where you could even have a problem disputing a rape charge or other criminal charge. I think Ben realizes now that he needs to change most things, even if it's just until his career is over. Some things are just natural though, so going out and drinking and having a good time I don't have a problem with, as long as you control yourself and are able to smile for TMZ. As far as people with gambling issues like Barkley, I don't see why that's anyone's business, he talks openly about it, but he doesn't ram it down anyone's throats.
    2010 Chicago Bears: NFC North Champions

2. Gandalf, I think it would have been easier to move him than you think. I believe the Steelers received numerous inquiries into acquiring Ben, and, while he's nowhere close to Ben's level, Jay Cutler was traded prior to last season. As far as his salary goes, Ben made between 20 and 25 million last year, so his remaining contract is still large, but not unreasonable. I'm glad they didn't trade him, but I think they could have turned the keys over to Dixon and turned Ben into a bevy of picks for Colbert to work his magic with. Either way, I think their outlook is good, since Ben could make a case for being the 2nd quarterback in the league.

I would be interested to know what the Steelers were offered for Ben in trade-were teams offering 'yard sale' deals hoping to get Ben on the cheap, due to his off field issues? The rumor was that the Steelers were asking unrealistic compensation for Ben (like multiple # 1 picks)-if true, it is not surprising he is still wearing the black and gold. I agree, he could have been traded, but perhaps not to the level and number of draft picks that the Steelers probably wanted.

Taking a 'wait and see' approach is probably the best course right now, though many fans want to toss him off the back of the bus. I have mixed feelings about Ben but think he needs a chance to prove he has turned around. Some negative comments were coming out of Pittsburgh about his locker room leadership (or lack thereof)-he will have to improve there as well. If he can't keep it together, that trade may come sooner than later.

Raised in Pittsburgh, reside in Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf2300 View Post
    I would be interested to know what the Steelers were offered for Ben in trade-were teams offering 'yard sale' deals hoping to get Ben on the cheap, due to his off field issues? The rumor was that the Steelers were asking unrealistic compensation for Ben (like multiple # 1 picks)-if true, it is not surprising he is still wearing the black and gold. I agree, he could have been traded, but perhaps not to the level and number of draft picks that the Steelers probably wanted.

Taking a 'wait and see' approach is probably the best course right now, though many fans want to toss him off the back of the bus. I have mixed feelings about Ben but think he needs a chance to prove he has turned around. Some negative comments were coming out of Pittsburgh about his locker room leadership (or lack thereof)-he will have to improve there as well. If he can't keep it together, that trade may come sooner than later.
    Well-placed sources said they wanted a 1 this year and next year, mostly from a team not likely to finish well next season, because the 2011 QB draft class is stacked. No one was willing to give that much up, considering the suspension this year, and the PR hit the team would take.

Don't think the offer has come and gone, though. If he performs, or if he doesn't perform, he could still be on the table next year.

This is nothing new for Ben. If you listen quietly to sources that know, Ben has had problems for years going back to college. He has proven himself to be a sexual predator. That will not change. He may moderate himself and push it back underground, but his psychology is what it is. Let me ask the group this: How many of you would want your 18 - 23 year old daughter going to a party if you knew that Ben was going to be there.? I can tell you this, I'd lock my 18 year old daughter to my safe in my house if I thought she was going to anywhere near this creep. That says it all for me.

Here's a good example of why I think Mike Florio is a jerk off.

Ben Roethlisberger finally finished his undergraduate degree, 9 years after going pro.

Frankly, although I think the guy's a major jerk, this is admirable. He didn't have to do it. But he went ahead, took the courses, got the credits and got his degree. Well done.

Florio, being the asshat that he is, scratches around for a negative angle. What a turd. Not a very creative turd, either. The best he can do is say that Roethlisberger would be a failure if he ever had to use the degree. What a douche.

Blog Entries
    It sure sounds like Florio has a personal dislike for the dude, doesn't it? Maybe there's a face to face reason for it? In cases like this, I remember that Florio is a former ambulance chaser. OK, I don't know if he did PI law but still, lawyer=questionable soul, right?

He's paid by NBC to be something other than a lawyer, though I have no clear idea why beyond his ability to break down a contract (for whatever value that has - I don't find it terribly interesting to know how much of some guy other than me's salary is likely to ever be paid,) and certainly not a journalist - better than Sapp but not by much. Seriously, Polish and kaba are both better at podcasts. Sorry, getting a bit far afield with my television criticism.

Although you had the opportunity to make a further point - perhaps when he is done playing football, Roethlisberger will become a teacher because he believes in that sort of thing and really wants to make a difference on the classroom level. OK, unlikely, but it could happen.

Florio is an ass. There should be a thread dedicated to his stupidity.

I'm no fan of Ben, but I applaud him for stepping up. I'm sure this is to meet the terms of his "parole" as per the Rooney's. They were going to cut him; ended up giving him a choice to shape up or be shipped out. Seems that he is at least making an effort to fix his relationship with the team and more importantly, the city he represents. He really pissed the locals off. My very best friends live there and they are still on the fence about him. It's going to take a very long time to heal those wounds.

The Rooney's have been taking steps to bring Steelers football back to the fans. Ticket sales haven't dwindled much, mostly due to the PSL deal and people don't want to lose their seats, but they have been losing clicks at the turnstile. This is due to the style of play. The ticket holding fans have been vocal about it and that's why the wind's have changed. My hat is off to the Rooney's for getting Ben under control and righting the ship before it overturned. Nothing but respect from me.

If any of you happen to visit Pitt, go to Heinz and check out the new Evolution of the Towel display. It has all the towels from different years in shadow boxes on the wall. They opened it up at the Fan Draft thing I was at on the 28th. It's really cool.
    You ask me why I lift, I wonder why you don't.

I commend Ben for finishing his degree, though I think him walking comes off a bit attention whorey and takes away from the excitement of the day for the other 600 people there.

As for Florio, if you read between the lines enough, you'll see that he's actually a steelers fan, though he claims to be a vikings fan. He'll take shots at the steelers (this is probably a good exampe) from time to time to try and come off unbiased.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengals1181 View Post
    I commend Ben for finishing his degree, though I think him walking comes off a bit attention whorey and takes away from the excitement of the day for the other 600 people there.

Oh for the love of Pete, honestly? It took nothing away from the other 600 and probably added to their excitement. If dude wants to walk, let the dude walk. It's one of the great moments of ones life. Why is there a problem if he wanted to rightfully enjoy his accomplishment?

I'm certainly not trying to be negative or start anything, but come on now.
    "I'd knock your brains out, then pick them up later."

-Marion Motley